Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hakeem the Dream vs Tim Duncan

Hakeem in his prime would really take it to Duncan in his prime. Not saying he would kill him, because that would be a REALLY good matchup, but Hakeem would beat out Duncan. As great a player as Duncan is, Hakeem was just so much more talented, it was insane.

Go Spurs Go

both are legends, but duncans career is much more dominant than hakeems 2-3 years of dominance.

tim duncan got his rings against the prime shaq/kobe duo. hakeem never even got his chance to go against jordan.

4 rings > 2 rings.

Give poeticism credit for laying down the stats. Yes, stats don't tell the story, but it's funny how people use that argument when they argue for "their" player. Also give him credit for actually summing up an argument rather than," Hakeem is better, take my word for it," argument. Tell you the truth I've been around for both their careers and I'd take Duncan for a smidgen myself.
    You can't use the competition arugument. Although yes, Dream had Ewing Shaq,and Admiral, but let's not take away from as prime Webber, prime Sheed, prime Nowitzki, they both had Shaq, but Laker Shaq was far better and on a more dominant Laker team than early Orlando. Also please don't take away level of competition in both eras. Yeah, Hakeem's era had the legendary status, the same status that blinds our judgment when it comes to comparing. we always seem to rate the legends miles ahead of todays competition. It's not that far off.
    Accolades do tell part of the story. It show your ability to lead a team and create you own legendary status. Statistics aslo show your performance against elite competition. So taking into account of the accolades, Duncan has been doing what he's doing longer and with more consistancy. With those accolades piled up, and no doubt in my mind he will ad to his acheivments for at least 4 or five more years. His body is a warrior, barely ever gets injured, does his thing, even though he's less physically gift compared to Hakeem in the athleticism and speed department.
    Supporting cast. Hakeem had the better teams. Yeah, you can say, Ducan had Admiral, but at the same points of their career (supporting cast) hakeem also had a hungry Barkley, and Pip, and a Drexler. Even with their combonation of what seemed the best compliment of legends, Hakeem didn't lead the team to glory. It's arguable Duncan may have, but he has lead a weaker team against what seemed to be an invincable Lakers team.
    So you can see any argument can be debunked whether it be accolades, competition, or supporting cast. It's how you put your personal spin on it. You can't just come in and say ," hakeem is way better, I've seen them play." Where the evidence and the back-up statement? My dad saw Dr.J in his prime and many older people, who are die hard fans, are convinced that Julius Erving was a way better individual player than Jordan. So, we can't debunk that argument because we judge players from the past on stories or reputation, and in to most the degree, accolades.
    So who would I take? Duncan. He's just the more consistant player, and has been doing it a top level longer. I like dependability. It's a good foundation to lay your team upon. Keep in mind the fact that Duncan played all four years in college, shortening the time span in which he could have racked up more accolades early in his career. And he most certainly will achieve more.
    With that all said, Go Cavs!
    Last edited by hateraid; 06-01-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Lol, sorry to nitpick hateraid, but please don't mention Scottie Quitten as a Rocket. As far as we are concerned, he never signed the dotted line.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Lol, sorry to nitpick hateraid, but please don't mention Scottie Quitten as a Rocket. As far as we are concerned, he never signed the dotted line.
    lol, go ahead, I'm sure many people would agree with you.

NBA Superstar

Duncan is better than Hakeem

there I said it, feels good too...now let me explain why, because so often, us here at ISH love to big up thepast in our revisionist history.

-Sure Hakeem had a nice post up game, but guess what, so does Duncan, it may not be as pretty but it yields the same results.

-Both are great defenders, potentialy all NBA defense every season, so this area is a push.

-Both have rings, but TD has more, and at a time where his conference was the stronger conference.

-The difference in my opinion is Duncan's range out to twenty two feet. Hakeem never had the ability to kill a team from the wing or the top of the key with jumpers like TD can, this is the difference, everything else is close or a push.

Timmy is better

get over yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Duncan is better than Hakeem

there I said it, feels good too...now let me explain why, because so often, us here at ISH love to big up thepast in our revisionist history.

-Sure Hakeem had a nice post up game, but guess what, so does Duncan, it may not be as pretty but it yields the same results.

-Both are great defenders, potentialy all NBA defense every season, so this area is a push.

-Both have rings, but TD has more, and at a time where his conference was the stronger conference.

-The difference in my opinion is Duncan's range out to twenty two feet. Hakeem never had the ability to kill a team from the wing or the top of the key with jumpers like TD can, this is the difference, everything else is close or a push.

Timmy is better

get over yourselves.

Great minds think alike. Our argument are very similar. You gotta like the consistancy of Duncan too.

Tim Duncan is -I hate to say it - better thn the dream...
    But imo,hakeem and robinson,especially hakeem,revolutionized the center position with their passing skills...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Great minds think alike. Our argument are very similar. You gotta like the consistancy of Duncan too.
    I just read your post (I added my two cents after reading the thread starter)

well done old boy

Quote Originally Posted by dhenk
    Tim Duncan is -I hate to say it - better thn the dream...
    But imo,hakeem and robinson,especially hakeem,revolutionized the center position with their passing skills...
    Don't feel bad for saying it. Yeah, it feels like you're disrespecting your elders, but you have eyes, a brain, so come up with your own conclusion.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Hakeem

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Don't feel bad for saying it. Yeah, it feels like you're disrespecting your elders, but you have eyes, a brain, so come up with your own conclusion.
    No,I

Saw a basketball once

Of course it's always the current players (especially if they happen to play for your team) who are better than those elders ><

yawn

This is about as close as they get comparison wise.

Tough choice that im not going to make.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

I can count on one hand how many twenty footers Duncan has taken in the playoffs.