Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #181
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Pre-season 2019

Bobby Marks: Today was the deadline to extend a player that had two years left on his contract. Like his original contact signed in 2017, Joe Ingles has likely and unlikely bonuses as part of his new deal. – via Twitter BobbyMarks42
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #182
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Joe Ingles’ agent Mark Bartelstein tells The Athletic that they first started talking extension with The Jazz this summer. The two sides worked hard right up until the deadline in getting a deal finished – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Tony Jones: “We are tremendously appreciative of the Jazz for working with us to get this done,” Joe Ingles’ agent Mark Bartelstein tells The Athletic. “Joe really wants to be with the Jazz. He doesn’t want to play anywhere else.” – via Twitter
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #183
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46659608...r-announcement

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — The biggest question entering the training camp: How tall is Donovan Mitchell, really?

it was? I assume his length is still 6'10 " so who cares?

Quote:
On Saturday afternoon, Kidd walked around the Jazz practice facility following practice laughing it up with Donovan Mitchell, looking like he didn’t have a care in the world. On another court, Howard was running through drills with the G-League bound Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman.

so hopefully Howard is with the Stars than?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #184
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/10/21/2...-extension-nba

Quote:
As it stands currently, the main players alongside Ingles in that second unit will be Dante Exum, Royce O’Neale and Ed Davis; a trio of players that would benefit greatly from the point abilities brought by the elder Aussie.

O'Neale is starting? My guess is either Conley or Mitchell and either Bojan or Gobert wil be running with the 2nd unit as well. Let's not talk Exum until he's actually laying eh?

Quote:
There’s one final thing Ingles could accomplish this season, and it would be something never done before by a member of the Utah Jazz: win the sixth man of the year award. No Jazzman since the first award was handed to Bobby Jones in 1983 has claimed sixth man of the year. A couple guys who donned a Jazz uniform won the trophy at some point (Dell Curry and John Starks namely) but never while wearing the purple and/or blue.

Ingles won't win it. Scorers generally win it. He's not a scorer. Green maybe will make a run if anyone.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #185
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-...n-nba-contract

Quote:
Joe Ingles joins Bojan Bogdanovic as the only two players the Utah Jazz have guaranteed on contract through that year. Though those two will most likely be joined by Donovan Mitchell who will probably be on a max extension contract from his rookie deal and Rudy Gobert who could possibly be receiving a super max.

way too early to say Gobert will be back. O'Neale will hopefully be signed next summer and Conley for a pay cut in a couple years as well
Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #186
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/10/21/uta...manuel-mudiay/

Quote:
If the Utah Jazz are to reach their full potential this upcoming season, a breakout year from new recruit Emmanuel Mudiay is of vital importance.

really?

Quote:
When the Utah Jazz signed Emmanuel Mudiay back in July, it seemed as though he would have a rather small role in determining the team’s success this upcoming season. However, with Dante Exum‘s status still up in the air, Mudiay could have a fixed spot in the rotation and play some big minutes as the back-up point guard.

he's at the end of the rotation at least until Dante is back. a few minutes each half probably.

Quote:
When the Utah Jazz signed Emmanuel Mudiay back in July, it seemed as though he would have a rather small role in determining the team’s success this upcoming season. However, with Dante Exum‘s status still up in the air, Mudiay could have a fixed spot in the rotation and play some big minutes as the back-up point guard.

Quote:
For the Jazz to reach their full potential this upcoming season, it’s imperative that Mudiay is — at the very least — serviceable at the back-up point guard position as it allows much greater flexibility throughout the roster.

Wouldn't say he's necessarily the pg. He could be on the court with 3 other guys that can run the offense as will every line up they play!

Quote:
If the Jazz get a month into the regular season and it turns out Mudiay is practically unplayable, it means the point guard duties get shared between Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell. In turn, this means they can’t share the court as often and it really limits Quin Snyder’s options and Utah’s overall versatility.

If he's unplayable it hurts their depth. They appear to be 10 deep right now until proven otherwise.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #187
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Utah Jazz VP Dennis Lindsey to The Athletic on Joe Ingles: Joe and the Jazz have become synonymous. Not only has Joe become one of the better players in the NBA at his position, he and Renae (Ingles’ wife) have integrated themselves into the Jazz community – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #188
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jake: Bogdonavic was a huge addition to the Jazz during this offseason, but he still has a long way to go. He did not look like the same Bogdanavic that averaged 18 points per a game and shot 49.7% from the field. Bogdonavic made a lot of high impact plays that can’t be recorded on the stat sheet, but as far as the numbers go, he has some work to do. He shot poorly from the field and was unable rack up points as he normally is able.

agreed/ I was very impressed with Bojan despite his shooting. Being able to run the offense through him?

Quote:
The defensively questionable lineups will be Donovan-Conley-Bogey combos, with a dearth of length. These guys may have to outscore (vs. stop) opponents and Snyder must be thinking hard about augmenting these three with both Royce and Rudy. And he may be tempted to supplant one of the three with Dante Exum at times to provide more length and an improved overall D (while obviously sacrificing some O).

The same Dante that is still hurt from last season or the one that just acted like a bitch because Oni made a play on him? How bout Ingles instead?

Quote:
Mark: No. My initial prognosis of the Jazz was that they would be (a) a dominant regular season team that pounded on weak teams and (b) a challenging playoff out that would struggle against top-end talent and experience. Both of those aspects will remain true: Even if the defense is, at worst, league average, the vastly-improved offense will disorient bad teams with extreme ease to allow the Jazz to get to a comfortable 55 wins. On the other hand, the relatively problematic depth and an inconsistent defense keeps me pessimistic about their chances to win a best-of-7 against the best teams.

Agreed except the last part. As one of the best teams they will be at the top of the list for buyouts not to mention trades. I'd expect the roster to look different by the end of the year. Just hope their lack of depth doesn't cost them too much early

Quote:
Allen: I still having the Jazz with mid-50s wins and with the top seed, with the Clippers advancing to the finals. One concern is that Jazz’s 10-15 spots are all developmental and, while having youngsters in the pipeline is good, any injury that propels them into the main rotation could be problematic given how tight the west will be. If I am in Dennis Lindsay’s shoes, I’d think long and hard about sacrificing a couple of youngsters and adding established vets to the end of the bench. Guys who may have lost a step, but you know what you’ll get when you put them on the floor and who are satisfied with a “in case of fire break glass” role.

They drafted well and Brantley really deserved a spot as well which made it tough. Goss has earned his shot with his play the past couple of years. Exum and the non guaranteed spot of Kidd is where I'd be looking for help. Maybe after December they'll be able to package Exum's contract with young guys and picks for an upgrade and open some roster spots for flexibility going into the buyout season

Quote:
Preseason Rudy has been cruising and saving himself for the regular season. Making an All-Star team is important to him and he knows that if the Jazz are in a top 4 seed and his scoring improves (likely with improved spacing), he should finally be an All-Star. His leadership and energy are contagious and should propel the Jazz. So, unlike many seeing and sawing manic-depressive fans, I remain bullish on the 2019-20 season.

Mitchell will probably make the all-star team before him sadly
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #189
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-post-...zzs-preseason/

Quote:
Isaac Adams: I expected the Jazz defense to be a little worse after losing Derrick Favors and Jae Crowder, and I still believe that it will be just that: a little worse, and not catastrophic. That said, we definitely learned that the team is going to take some time to gel defensively. As bad as it looked, some of the defensive woes were just hot shooting opponents. NBA opponents shot .435 from 3 and .528 overall against the Jazz this preseason. For comparison, the historically bad 2018-19 Cavs defense only allowed .380 from three and .495 from the field.

I think the defense might be better just because the offense is better. More made shots and less turnovers because of better spacing. The defense might still be behind the offense though!

Quote:
Mark Russell Pereira: The Conley-Mitchell-Ingles-Bogdanovic-Gobert1 lineup will be a scorching nightmare for young, bad, tired, or lazy defenses. I thought it would be good, but the limited sample exhibited a collective intelligence that can execute second- and third-level decisions without thought. We’re going to see this lineup generate bafflingly-wide open shots; the difference from last year’s open shots is that they won’t be purposely forced by a defense leaving Crowder, Favors or Ricky Rubio undefended from beyond the arc. I’m truly giddy just thinking about it.

It's like no one remembers what Joe/Johnson/Diaw and George Hill did compared to Ricky/Favors

Quote:
Kincade: Even for a Green skeptic, he really impressed. After watching him more closely this preseason, his athleticism has stood out, and that’s something the Jazz haven’t had a lot of recently. His shot also has been better than expected. The Jazz signed Green to replace Crowder, and while he lacks Crowder’s toughness, he seems to be an upgrade in almost every other area. The most exciting thing Green brings is the ability to act as a playmaking power forward, which is a big change from what Jazz fans are used to.

Joe Johnson/Boris Diaw/Trey Lyles. It's not like we haven't seen the way Quinn wanted to play and what kind of team should be around Gobert before. The fact that it's taken 5 years to get to this point is mind boggling!

Quote:
Jake: Based upon the preseason, Bradley is a competitive back-up for Rudy Gobert. Bradley played well in all five games, racking up the game-high points in two of them. He was accurate from the field and was effective in his minutes played. Although he had less of an opportunity in the later preseason games, he still was able to enter the game and make an impact. After five impressive preseason games, Bradley is the answer to the recent Jazz dilemma: who can reinforce Rudy.

you do know he only plays if two guys can't?

I'd go with Mudiay. Liked what I saw in the one game I saw with him. The rest did what I expected. Green was even better than I expected but there's a reason they got him on a minimum contract so we'll see

Quote:
Isaac: The easy answer is Bojan Bogdanovic who often looked lost on defense and struggled to score on offense. Fortunately, it’s inconceivable that a shooter of his caliber will continue to shoot as poorly as .250 from 3 and .273 from the field. I was also disappointed in the minutes Ed Davis played. With both players, I think it’s more a matter of integrating into a new team and system than anything else. Once they’re in the flow of the season, I expect their pre-season struggles will be nothing more than a bad memory.

Davis gets his hand on almost every offensive board

Quote:
Kincade: Bogdanovic and Davis both seem uncomfortable in Snyder’s system. Both seemed to do more thinking that just playing and reacting. Bogdanovic is coming from the Pacers where he was the focal part of the offense (once Victor Oladipo was injured). Not only is he adjusting to a new role but Snyder runs in a bit more complex system than what Nate McMillan does in Indiana. In Davis’ case, he isn’t known for his pick-and-roll game, but he will need to get more comfortable playing that style under Snyder.

Sounds like Davis was running picks before. The Nets run a similar system I believe. Another Spurs grad
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #190
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/10/21/uta...manuel-mudiay/

Quote:
Even as he transitions to a sixth man role this season, this is particularly helpful for a team that will have a lot of decisions to make in the summer of 2021. That’s the last possible season Mike Conley will be in Utah (assuming he’s on the books for $34.5 million in 2020-21 by not exercising his early termination option), as well as the summer Donovan Mitchell is due for a rookie extension and when Rudy Gobert, Dante Exum and Ed Davis come off the books.

So I guess Conley could opt out and look for a multi year deal. That could work out. Get him and O'Neale dealt with next summer and Mitchell(He'll probably be signed next summer too) and Gobert the next year. Bradley takes Davis' spot. Oni will hopefully already have replaced Exum
Old 10-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #191
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/2019/10/22/2...ots-of-options

Quote:
“The thing about this group that makes them unique is you have that kind of versatility,” he said. “To me, what position you are at a given time is what position you can defend. So if you can’t defend a point guard, then it’s hard to say that you’re a point guard.”

Yep. Is Lebron covering the pg?
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #192
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/2019/10/22/2...a-championship

Quote:
However long it takes to come together, the Jazz are built to win this year. It’s not a two- or three-year plan with these veterans.

I'd say it's a two year plan. After Gobert/Mitchell/Conley become free agents things will certainly change

Quote:
Conley is an elite point guard who has had some great seasons, but he’s unlikely to get any better. He’s only 32, but not many players improve after that age.

He might get better because of the guys around him

Quote:
Even the great John Stockton, who played until he was 41, saw his numbers diminish each year during his 30s. When he was 32, he averaged 14.7 ppg and 12.3 assists and shot 54.2 percent from the field. He never matched those numbers again, except for one season when he shot slightly better.

his minutes went down more than anything. He was still doing it at a high level

Quote:
Royce O’Neale has developed greatly since coming out of nowhere three years ago and has become a part-time starter and defensive lock-down player. Who knows about Dante Exum, who has been hurt more than he’s been healthy during his five-year Jazz career. If he can ever get back to 100 percent, he could help the Jazz for a few years as he is still just 24.

But he sucks at 24. How much will he help in his prime?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: