Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NBA pace is at an all-time high,

The pace of the game is at maybe an all-time high.

Scoring is up, defense is down. This makes for very exciting basketball. But one must remember that since pace and attempts are up, it's again going to be very difficult to compare talents between eras.

A 30 PPG scorer today is perhaps a 18-22 ppg scorer in the slower pace eras.

I don't have the advanced stats to back this up right now. I don't have the time. It does seem like common sense to me that this is the case.

I'm guessing prime scoring Kobe would have averaged around 40-42 ppg today.

Default Re: NBA pace is at an all-time high,

players with a skilled hyperathletic perimeter game would definitely score more. harden is the best proof of that. he's quick and a good shooter but nothing truly special all-time for either category.

you can add AI tmac and carter as guys who would score an additional 3-5 points per season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see kobe average something like 37 points for a season playing at today's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    players with a skilled hyperathletic perimeter game would definitely score more. harden is the best proof of that. he's quick and a good shooter but nothing truly special all-time for either category.

you can add AI tmac and carter as guys who would score an additional 3-5 points per season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see kobe average something like 37 points for a season playing at today's pace.
    In '06 the pace was 90.5 and Kobe averaged 35.4ppg.

Now the pace is 102.

Kobe would literally average 45ppg in this clown era.

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    In '06 the pace was 90.5.

Now the pace is 102.

no he wouldn't. kobe was already chucking at that slow pace, there's only so many more shots you can chuck when you're already chucking.

Turns out not smoking a pack of cigarettes at half time improves player cardio!

no he wouldn't. kobe was already chucking at that slow pace, there's only so many more shots you can chuck when you're already chucking.
    With a wide open paint, zero rim protection, zero perimeter defense allowed, 4 teammates standing 25+ feet from the basket... don't kid yourself.

In '06 the pace was 90.5 and Kobe averaged 35.4ppg.

Now the pace is 102.

He avg. 27FGA. He is known to try his hardest vs lottery teams in the regular season.

Local High School Star

Try again, at least 5 seasons in the 80's had higher pace than 2020 and that's without all the offensive friendly rules the NBA has put in since the mid 90's!

With a wide open paint, zero rim protection, zero perimeter defense allowed, 4 teammates standing 25+ feet from the basket... don't kid yourself.
    the game isn't THAT different...

OP you're an embarrassment to all high-IQ raptors fans. I'm going to need you to hand in your badge before you kill yourself this year.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    The pace of the game is at maybe an all-time high.

Scoring is up, defense is down. This makes for very exciting basketball. But one must remember that since pace and attempts are up, it's again going to be very difficult to compare talents between eras.

A 30 PPG scorer today is perhaps a 18-22 ppg scorer in the slower pace eras.

I don't have the advanced stats to back this up right now. I don't have the time. It does seem like common sense to me that this is the case.

I'm guessing prime scoring Kobe would have averaged around 40-42 ppg today.
    and someone that dominates defensively like Gobert is even more impressive today

the game isn't THAT different...

OP you're an embarrassment to all high-IQ raptors fans. I'm going to need you to hand in your badge before you kill yourself this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    and someone that dominates defensively like Gobert is even more impressive today
    He would be less impressive in the 80s/90s because there were so many more legit rim protectors than in this era.

I'm absolutely correct about that. I think it's reasonable to assume that 06 kobe could average close to 40 but to say that he would do it for sure, and then say he'd average 45 points - you might actually be retarded.

You're acting like kobe was deprived chucking opportunities during his career.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

He would be less impressive in the 80s/90s because there were so many more legit rim protectors than in this era.
    not sure all of them would be as impressive having to guard out to the 3 point line today though. Robinson and Hakeem I can see. Ewing and Mutumbo not so much. Mark Eaton lol!
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 11-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.

I'm absolutely correct about that. I think it's reasonable to assume that 06 kobe could average close to 40 but to say that he would do it for sure, and then say he'd average 45 points - you might actually be retarded.

You're acting like kobe was deprived chucking opportunities during his career.
    45's a stretch I think it'd be like 42-43. A Kobe vs Harden game would be funny as hell to watch