Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: This Needs to Be Said

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Logic
    What's up GTS? Less time to post these days, not to mention the shitty season for my Lakers...

Nothing much, busy with work and the family....

Shitty season yeah but you got to pay the piper sooner or later... don't get to sit at the top of the heap for as many years as they did without having to start over sometime.. new NBA can't retool on the fly like they used to

not enjoying the losses but I am interested in the rebuild and how it unfolds over the next few years so that keeps me watching... we got a couple kids that show some promise that might stick long term and the evolution of Kobe this late in his career is storyline that keeps me tuned in.

The Buss kids and how they grow into the job etc etc etc... I've seen so many great moments with this franchise i'm not feeling cheated by a few down years

You should not fault a whole site for the Kobe stans being so in love and obsessing with thinking that Kobe is this alpha male that must be worshiped. And wanting to let everyone know how alpha he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    You should not fault a whole site for the Kobe stans being so in love and obsessing with thinking that Kobe is this alpha male that must be worshiped. And wanting to let everyone know how alpha he is.
    Let's not pretend Lestans do the contrary. They are cut from the same cloth

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

alphas in human society are actually a case of study and it can be defined.

the problem relies in the fact insidehoops message board members haven't picked up a book in their lifes and thus apply the definition regarding the animal kingdom, I suppose, because they saw wolf movies back at school.

In human society, Kobe Bryant isn't acting like an alpha, more like a despot or a tyrant in a position of power.

Alphas know when to take 2nd seat to betas, they know how to lower their importance, spotlight and relevance in favor of the common good. The term is used to describe effective leadership, and the outcome of that is only winning. An alpha leader is one that leads effectively and therefore has the full support of its people, not imposed. A stubborn dictator that fights hard so things always go his way isn't an alpha. Specially when "his way" doesn't translate to common good.

College superstar

I think it's used mostly as a joke, but there are a lot of posters who take it seriously. You know cutting in line or eating all the cookies doesn't make you alpha, it makes you an asshole.

And there's a whole alphabet of Greek letters for pseudo-scientific dribble. I never see anyone talking about omicron males or lambda females. Too bad.

It also needs to be said that 'alpha' and 'beta' and 'omega' are legit ethological categories, and that as herd animals, human beings also fit into the broad dynamic of followers and leaders, though our ability for introspection somewhat muddies the water.

These categories are certainly less arbitrary and better representative than modern personality disorder categories like the one quoted below (particularly DSM III, and onwards - these are just normal human characteristics moulded into 'disorders' in this, the era where all must be made sick and infirm).
    Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Sad as it is those pick up sites actually work. I don't know if that says more about them or women but I've always suspected they're filled with guys with narcissistic personality disorder.
    This isn't a thing (i.e. it's just been made up by psychiatrists) - why has everything got to be labelled a 'disorder'? Is the world too complicated for you to understand anything or anyone without inaccurate labels being applied to everything?

No human personality can be explained so simplistically.

Well if you don't believe in alpha/beta philosophy, you haven't really payed attention to your own surroundings. It's pretty obvious when you look at some people and they just command respect, the way they talk, behave. Other tend to stay quiet and follow.
    I guess you can categorize it into leaders and follower, alphas and betas or whatever, it's just the natural categorization of people which is, baring scientific ones, the best way to understand who's who.
    Yes, if retards could fly, this place would be an airport, but the whole alpha beta categorization thing isn't only usable in PUA world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDDyT1lDhA

Trusting the judgement of others over your own, being unwilling to defend your position against majority conformity, etc. = beta behaviour. Natural followers and sheep.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Well if you don't believe in alpha/beta philosophy, you haven't really payed attention to your own surroundings. It's pretty obvious when you look at some people and they just command respect, the way they talk, behave. Other tend to stay quiet and follow.
    I guess you can categorize it into leaders and follower, alphas and betas or whatever, it's just the natural categorization of people which is, baring scientific ones, the best way to understand who's who.
    Yes, if retards could fly, this place would be an airport, but the whole alpha beta categorization thing isn't only usable in PUA world
    Then you sir have no idea how real life works and I am guessing you are failing right now in life, relationships, career etc.

Say for example you see a Boss abusing his employees and being 'the man'. His employees of course 'follow' and give 'respect'. To you, you may see that as an alpha with betas following. To us normal people we see an insecure manchild who is throwing his weight around and is emotionally unstable. They think 'who would want to be friends or be in a relationship with this emotional domineering control freak? He probably cries himself to sleep everynight.'

Saying that though there is the very minute population who were born, bred and naturally gifted as leaders. I see a lot of fake 'alphas' and they are just people who wish they were like everyone else aka a wannabe beta but don't know how to get respect/love/relationships so they act like they are actually worth something. The true leaders...well everyone love them and can act casual and will follow them to the death. Thats the difference between a true leader and a fake alpha who everyone just laughs and talks about how much of an insecure little emotional child they are.

Quote Originally Posted by meat
    This site is a car accident I can't stop looking at. A collective of some of the biggest morons I've ever ran across. Can't even have a rational discussion, hence I don't participate.
    There were always idiotic trolls on here, but at least they'd be occasionally funny. It's unbareable the amount of alpha/beta rubbish that gets spouted by guys that sound like 15 years olds on here.

My participation has slowly been dwindling more and more as the years go by. I'll stick to other sites that actually have a decent amount of people who actually want to talk about basketball.

NBA All-star

When people/animals are put in a closed confinment. the whole alpha/beta "order" is naturally set out.

Then the simplicity in which age/time plays in as a factor.

Closed confinement is really not much different than sub-culture.

Local High School Star

Nothing Is Worse then a fake "Alpha". They stick out like a sore thumb, trying to ignore you purposely at times or pretending to be busy when they are not. Normal people (not ones who are retarded) easily see that they are doing those pathetic little things because they are insecure of being judged for who they really are and are always trying to control every situation because of their insecurity. Real leaders don't need to control a situation, people love them and want to spend time around them. Fake alphas make people feel uneasy around them because they put down others, control the situation, act like an emotional/drama b1tch etc. Real alpha dogs and leaders make groups of people feel comfortable around them, they motivate and encourage others rather then control what they do and tell them what to do and they are not nosy insecure b1tches who u have to be careful what to say around them. We all, in life, meet people who we think are just great people to be around and have a positive aura, then we meet those try hards who have a *******y aura around them as they are constantly manipulating, stirring sh1t, decouraging those around them.

I am an occupational therapist with experience in mental health. I am not diving into the traits and symptoms of various personality disorders because it would be too complicated for most people but for the academics out there I find that a lot of the 'fake alphas' to be borderline personality as compared to narcissistic. I find they have a constant need to feel loved, like to portray the world to themselves and those around them in a black and white manner and prefer relationships to be either admiration or hate/putting others down. They are often insecure in themselves and are forced to see the world in a black and white portait which causes them to have strong/fast/fiery but also very short relationships which burns/blows up in the end. Following or being a friend with someone who has BPD often results in a rollercoaster ride ending with regret. Eg. a BPD person or fake alpha will try to bring you down in every way possible with personal attacks (because they personally fear personal attacks and are insecure) resulting in explosive endings to relationships with friends/family and loved ones.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    When people/animals are put in a closed confinment. the whole alpha/beta "order" is naturally set out.

Then the simplicity in which age/time plays in as a factor.

Closed confinement is really not much different than sub-culture.
    "Closed Confinement" How often is someone going to be in a closed confinement? People grow up in a world dominated by social/cultural norms not closed confinement. If your tactics are only hopeful in a closed confinement that means you must provide/set up an environment similarly to that. How often do we human beings operate in 'closed environment' throughout our lives let alone each day. We go to work, do our interests/hobbies, do your domestic tasks, do our social tasks etc. We aren't in closed confinements.

Quote Originally Posted by retaxis
    Nothing Is Worse then a fake "Alpha". They stick out like a sore thumb, trying to ignore you purposely at times or pretending to be busy when they are not. Normal people (not ones who are retarded) easily see that they are doing those pathetic little things because they are insecure of being judged for who they really are and are always trying to control every situation because of their insecurity. Real leaders don't need to control a situation, people love them and want to spend time around them. Fake alphas make people feel uneasy around them because they put down others, control the situation, act like an emotional/drama b1tch etc. Real alpha dogs and leaders make groups of people feel comfortable around them, they motivate and encourage others rather then control what they do and tell them what to do and they are not nosy insecure b1tches who u have to be careful what to say around them. We all, in life, meet people who we think are just great people to be around and have a positive aura, then we meet those try hards who have a *******y aura around them as they are constantly manipulating, stirring sh1t, decouraging those around them.

I am an occupational therapist with experience in mental health. I am not diving into the traits and symptoms of various personality disorders because it would be too complicated for most people but for the academics out there I find that a lot of the 'fake alphas' to be borderline personality as compared to narcissistic. I find they have a constant need to feel loved, like to portray the world to themselves and those around them in a black and white manner and prefer relationships to be either admiration or hate/putting others down. They are often insecure in themselves and are forced to see the world in a black and white portait which causes them to have strong/fast/fiery but also very short relationships which burns/blows up in the end. Following or being a friend with someone who has BPD often results in a rollercoaster ride ending with regret. Eg. a BPD person or fake alpha will try to bring you down in every way possible with personal attacks (because they personally fear personal attacks and are insecure) resulting in explosive endings to relationships with friends/family and loved ones.

Funny, that as a mental health professional, you don't seem to be aware that every single human being exhibits these traits to varying degrees

My question is what kind of ****ed-up disorder one would need to have to consider a life as a mental-health professional? I mean, listening to the ramblings of the mentally disturbed for a living, that's a strange thing to want to do, but it certainly grants you a massive amount of power over other (vulnerable) individuals.

Is it the 'I need to feel superior and in-control of myself and my life' syndrome?
    Last edited by Dresta; 01-02-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

Funny, that as a mental health professional, you don't seem to be aware that every single human being exhibits these traits to varying degrees

My question is what kind of ****ed-up disorder one would need to have to consider a life as a mental-health professional? I mean, listening to the ramblings of the mentally disturbed for a living, that's a strange thing to want to do, but it certainly grants you a massive amount of power over other (vulnerable) individuals.

Is it the 'I need to feel superior and in-control of myself and my life' syndrome?
    Sounds like your jealous and rambling. Thats fine you wouldn't even know where to start since your are wrong on every account.

I also might add it sounds like you have a severe mental illness. Only people with mental illness use the defence --> "every single human being exhibits these traits." Its what they tell themselves when the doctor tells them your chronically depressed. but... but... doctor...every human being can be depressed (yes b1tch but some of us are situationally depressed while your chemically/biologically depressed and an emotionally soft as a pudding) <- example. Same can be stated with PDs. we can all exhibit symptoms but some of us..well lets just say those symptoms control their lives and affect/hinder their ability to maintain and sustain or gain the things they want in life. Thats when its called a mental illness.

Oh By the way you mentally challenged pencil d1ck prick. You don't know what an OT is, You don't know the conceptual models OT work under (functionality based) and you sure as hell don't know anything about the Role of the OT in mental health (As I stated I have experience but never reported that I am currently working in mental Health as mental health is a very small sector of OT). So please go twiddle your two thumbs together and pretend like you actually know something. Its what your good at, pretending that you actually have a handle on things when you actually have no clue whatsoever. P.S one thing I didn't mention about BPD is how they attack everyone who mentions their weaknesses. Looks like you couldn't help but try and have a go at me because i ticked too many boxes in your miserable little life and the way you see the world. you must be so angry that there are people out there who see right through your insecurities, weaknesses and your domineering/controlling ways. Man I would hate if someone had me figured out like that but then again people with mental illnesses normally aren't that smart anyway so you certainly fit the bill in various situations.
    Last edited by retaxis; 01-02-2015 at 11:14 AM.