Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sunshine State

Default Re: Thunder are 8-2 with Durant, 8-15 without.

He's only 26..

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    The most games he could play at this point I believe is 59. The least an mvp ever played was 58 by Bill Walton but the Blazers were 50 - 8 in those games.

What are the odds he doesn't miss any more games?

Isn't he still recovering?
    Exactly. Shaq has only 1 MVP because he was docked by voters for missing 8-12 games every year. Durant cannot win the MVP playing less than 60 games on a team that will be a 6th or 7th seed. Moreover, Westbrook's high level of play this year should deflate Durant's MVP votes (I am not saying that is right but that is a reality of how MVP voting usually works). Durant is in fact the MVP right now but he won't win the award this year given circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    He's only 26..
    WTF?

And he's already learning to adapt his game to be less dependent on athleticism. His jumper is WET.

We will NOT see a massive decline at 30 like we're seeing with LeBron, who's game is 100% predicated on athleticism.

If anything, I don't see Durant peaking till he's 33-35. That is freaking SCARY.
    Last edited by Budadiiii; 01-01-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Exactly. Shaq has only 1 MVP because he was docked by voters for missing 8-12 games every year. Durant cannot win the MVP playing less than 60 games on a team that will be a 6th or 7th seed. Moreover, Westbrook's high level of play this year should deflate Durant's MVP votes (I am not saying that is right but that is a reality of how MVP voting usually works). Durant is in fact the MVP right now but he won't win the award this year given circumstances.
    Shaq is a great comparison right now for Durant. Easily the most dominant player in the universe. Shaq had Kobe and Phil Jackson though.... so I don't even know if it's fair to Durant to say he is Shaq. He's probably better. I know he's a much better leader and teammate, that's for sure.

Dominates in a different way, and is considered the best closer in basketball. 90% FT shooter, can pull up from anywhere and any time. We haven't seen a closer like this since Jordan.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Shaq is a great comparison right now for Durant. Easily the most dominant player in the universe. Shaq had Kobe and Phil Jackson though.... so I don't even know if it's fair to Durant to say he is Shaq. He's probably better. I know he's a much better leader and teammate, that's for sure.

Dominates in a different way, and is considered the best closer in basketball. 90% FT shooter, can pull up from anywhere and any time. We haven't seen a closer like this since Jordan.
    Shaq did have Kobe but Durant has Westbrook. Moreover, Durant has Ibaka, who is much better than the third best player on those 2000's Lakers teams. Durant also at one point not only had Westbrook, Ibaka but also Harden.

Fair points that Durant is an excellent closer-something Shaq could not be due to his FT shooting woes. Shaq also contributed to chemistry issues in multiple cities. All that said, Shaq brought home the goods 4 times and was in the Finals 6 times. Durant thus far has not won a ring and has reached the Finals only once.

It will be interesting to see the next 2-3 years for Durant. Almost every basketball player peaks between the ages of 27-30, although there are exceptions (i.e. Hakeem). So, barring injury, history suggests Durant will actually improve further still. However, how will Durant fare in the team success department? If Durant has a run of several years as the best player in the league, has a top 10-15 all-time player caliber peak, has a top 3-5 player in Westbrook alongside him (Westbrook too has not reached his pea yet) along with Ibaka--and Durant does not win a ring what will the general view of him become?

The central question vis-

Local High School Star

That other guy in OKC missed quite a few games as well...

Returns from injury and dropped those numbers, easily the best player in the league. I wonder if he can still win the scoring title. Give him a month and he will easily lead the league in scoring. Dunno if he is qualified tho.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

God it sucks that the best player in the world is injured. we should be witnessing great things from him not waiting for his return. but it is what it is.

And I agree that durants going to stay the man for a long time. hes super skilled. super tall. super fast. is able to cross over smaller dudes. pull up from anywhere. and the fact that he doesnt carry alot of muscle will be very helpful to his longevity.

best player in the game.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

In all honesty: Yes Durant should be the MVP of the league if he's healthy the rest of the season.

But the voters of the award are complete potatoes, so you never know what will happen.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

If durant and westbrook healthy i dont see anyone stopping them this year

Quote Originally Posted by SillyRabbit
    In all honesty: Yes Durant should be the MVP of the league if he's healthy the rest of the season.

But the voters of the award are complete potatoes, so you never know what will happen.
    If Harden keeps up his current level of play and the Rockets finish top 3 in the West, he'd deserve it more. Houston is 22-9 with Howard having missed 12 games. Harden is averaging 28/6/7 on 60%TS.

BREAKING NEWS: One of the best players in the NBA comes back to his team along with his teammate whose also one of the best players in the NBA, and the team starts winning a lot more games.

BREAKING NEWS: One of the best players in the NBA comes back to his team along with his teammate whose also one of the best players in the NBA, and the team starts winning a lot more games.