Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Default Re: College Requirement should be abolished

The last thing I care about is these guys losing money because they have to wait a year. Seriously, who gives a shit. That's whats great about the rookie pay scale, players used to demand big contracts before they played and the dumbf*ck owners were the ones giving them big money. There will be busts no matter what the situation is. Open the floodgates and let em in. If they don't work out after a couple of years, cut them.

College superstar

A few points:
    1) No one is "losing" money. They all have the option to earn money elsewhere until they are eligible for the NBA. Their choice to not take that route.

2) The NBA is a business, and as someone else mentioned, went through channels to make their selection process legal. So in the end, the NBA needs to protect their business, and they took steps to do so.

3) Scouts are not omniscient. They are generally pretty good at recognizing skill sets, regardless of competition, but how those same skills equate to a professional level of basketball has way too many variables to make an accurate prediction. The further out a projection is created/done (HS vs college vs first year in the league, etc) the less accurate the projection will be. No matter how good the projector is at their job.

4) Please stop pigeon-holing your arguments. I know this is never going to happen, particularly on ISH, but if you want to make a valid point, then admit both sides, and show why your argument holds more water, even considering the "hits" of the other side, and the "misses" of your own.

5) Semi-tangential idea here. Is it too far-fetched an idea for all D1 schools to have "fame and fortune" classes available to freshmen? The class(es) would deal with things such as... money management, publicity, social media, nutrition, wellness, basic legal guidelines of the league one wishes to join, etc.

Former Bulls Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    A few points:
    1) No one is "losing" money. They all have the option to earn money elsewhere until they are eligible for the NBA. Their choice to not take that route.

2) The NBA is a business, and as someone else mentioned, went through channels to make their selection process legal. So in the end, the NBA needs to protect their business, and they took steps to do so. High school busts are NOT the problem. We still have the Gilbert Arenas' and the Rashard Lewises making 100s of millions sitting at home because of stupid front offices.

3) Scouts are not omniscient. They are generally pretty good at recognizing skill sets, regardless of competition, but how those same skills equate to a professional level of basketball has way too many variables to make an accurate prediction. The further out a projection is created/done (HS vs college vs first year in the league, etc) the less accurate the projection will be. No matter how good the projector is at their job.

4) Please stop pigeon-holing your arguments. I know this is never going to happen, particularly on ISH, but if you want to make a valid point, then admit both sides, and show why your argument holds more water, even considering the "hits" of the other side, and the "misses" of your own.

5) Semi-tangential idea here. Is it too far-fetched an idea for all D1 schools to have "fame and fortune" classes available to freshmen? The class(es) would deal with things such as... money management, publicity, social media, nutrition, wellness, basic legal guidelines of the league one wishes to join, etc.
    1) They DO lose money. They either play college ball and make $0 or go play international for a couple Gs and then have your draft stock go down. The higher you are drafted the more money you make, so YES, they do lose money.

2) They need to protect their business huh? By taking money under the table by another league? Is that how? You mean how during the entire month of March there are no Nationally Televised Games unless you pay for League Pass? Unless you work for the NBA you shouldn't be taking sides with them because what they are doing is wrong.

3) Scouts are paid to scout, and there are always risks you have to take when drafting a player. If there were no risks then scouts wouldn't be needed.

4) Pigeon Holing my arguments? I'm speaking the truth. You're just some brainwashed ass simpleton who just follows the norm like they want you to do. I'm guessing you believe the Lock Out was a good thing too huh?

5) The NBA gives a class before the draft about money management.

College superstar

1) They DO lose money. They either play college ball and make $0 or go play international for a couple Gs and then have your draft stock go down. The higher you are drafted the more money you make, so YES, they do lose money.

Not guaranteed they'll lose draft stock. Their play, and their workouts and interviews, determine that. If they deserve to be in the NBA, and deserve to be paid, then they'll play well in the EL.

2) They need to protect their business huh? By taking money under the table by another league? Is that how? You mean how during the entire month of March there are no Nationally Televised Games unless you pay for League Pass? Unless you work for the NBA you shouldn't be taking sides with them because what they are doing is wrong.

I don't know how to respond to this. You're clearly trolling, or have no concept of what business entails.

3) Scouts are paid to scout, and there are always risks you have to take when drafting a player. If there were no risks then scouts wouldn't be needed.

So we agree. Good.

4) Pigeon Holing my arguments? I'm speaking the truth. You're just some brainwashed ass simpleton who just follows the norm like they want you to do. I'm guessing you believe the Lock Out was a good thing too huh?

I was not necessarily referring to you. But you only speak part of the truth. Speak the whole truth. Mention the successes, and the failures. Weigh them against one another.

5) The NBA gives a class before the draft about money management.

The Rookie Symporium (sp?)? Yup. That one tiny meeting covers it. In fact, why have college at all... everyone gets trained up at their new jobs anyway (there should be a forehead-slapping emoticon that I can insert here.. is close).