Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Is Shaq top 5 ever? Why, why not?

I want to know people's opinion on this because a lot of people overlook Shaq and simply think he is a good basketball player due to his size. I mean the guy has:

4 championships
    Named ROY (Rookie of Year) (1993)
    Named All-NBA First Rookie Team (1993)
    Named MVP (Most Valuable Player) NBA Regular Season (2000)
    Named All-NBA First Team (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
    Named All-NBA Second Team (1995, 1999)
    Named All-NBA Third Team (1994, 1996, 1997)
    Named MVP (Most Valuable Player) NBA Finals (2000, 2001, 2002)
    Named All-NBA Second Defensive Team (2000, 2001, 2003)
    Named IBM Award (2000, 2001)
    Named NBA Top Scorer (1995, 2000)
    Named NBA Best Field Goal Percentage (1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006)
    2 times MVP NBA All-Star (2000, 2004)
    Selected 14 times for the NBA All-Star game
    3 of the greatest finals performances ever
    25.2ppg, 11.5rpg, 2.7apg, 2.5bpg and 58% fg in the regular season.

Default Re: Is Shaq top 5 ever? Why, why not?

I'd rank him just below the immortal six. You could make an argument for him as a top 5 of all time, depending on how you view his impact as opposed to Bill Russell. I think KAJ has the edge on him due to sheer longevity and virtually the same stats and wins, Wilt on pure statistical viewpoint, Magic and Bird in terms of impact to the game. Of course you have MJ.

You won't find me protesting though, if someone ranks him a top 5 all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    I'd rank him just below the immortal six. You could make an argument for him as a top 5 of all time, depending on how you view his impact as opposed to Bill Russell. I think KAJ has the edge on him due to sheer longevity and virtually the same stats and wins, Wilt on pure statistical viewpoint, Magic and Bird in terms of impact to the game. Of course you have MJ.

i agree with this, he's the best post-jordan (**** all the Tim Duncan homers) and he is the last person 2 beat jordan in a post-season series. very good player, u could easily put him in the top 5, but there are so many great NBA players that he is overlooked.

Agreed, though really I think he should be a lock.

Wilt is beyond overrated. All he has is his stats, he wasn't a winner. Shaq had everything in terms of the perfect centre. Plus he has more accomplishments then a guy like Bird, even though Bird was surrounded by more talent.

thing is bird brought back the game of basketball.

and he's white

and good.

so we have to put him there u know

*please don't take this as racist*

College star

I think the most compelling argument you can make for him being top 5 is that in his prime, he was surpassed by no one and matched only by MJ, Kareem and Wilt. He's arguably the best finals performer ever as well.

To me, he is top 6 for sure, with Kareem, MJ, Wilt, Magic and Bird.

I don't understand how people put Wilt in their top 5. There is a double standard it seems for Wilt. When talking about greatness and where a player ranks, people always say he needs to be dominant; which is what Wilt was but also be a winner and have many championships, etc; which is something Wilt doesn't have.

College star

Doesn't Wilt also have like 3 championships? Only 1 less than Shaq, and Wilt was by far the MDE.

Yeah, I

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I don't understand how people put Wilt in their top 5. There is a double standard it seems for Wilt. When talking about greatness and where a player ranks, people always say he needs to be dominant; which is what Wilt was but also be a winner and have many championships, etc; which is something Wilt doesn't have.
    True, but noone can touch his statistics.

There isn

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Doesn't Wilt also have like 3 championships? Only 1 less than Shaq, and Wilt was by far the MDE.
    2 and only 1 as the best player I believe.

Yeah, I

Championships are overrated. And underrated.

People have the nerve to call Stockton and Malone loser i e when they were winners for every season they played and went far into the playoffs on numerous occasions while being contenders damn near every year. A loser is someone like Ricky Davis or Shareef who puts up stats on losing teams and never gets anywhere in their respective careers.

You wanna know who

[QUOTE=biisak]Championships are overrated. And underrated.

People have the nerve to call Stockton and Malone loser i e when they were winners for every season they played and went far into the playoffs on numerous occasions while being contenders damn near every year. A loser is someone like Ricky Davis or Shareef who puts up stats on losing teams and never gets anywhere in their respective careers.

You wanna know who

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

That's where I have him too, clumped in with Hakeem, Duncan, and Malone. Of that group, I think he's got the highest peak, which makes him a little hard to guage. The thing that I think will affect his legacy is the lone MVP. It sort of reflects his turn it on/ turn it off approach, which I know belies questions about his drive.
    The top six are the only guys with multiple MVPs, and multiple titles, along with Duncan, and probably Mikan, who for me is almost playing another sport. It's not a terribly deep way to look at it, but it is an interesting seperation on players who are nearly universally regarded as the top six.

Not airballing my layups anymore Young Money's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    That's where I have him too, clumped in with Hakeem, Duncan, and Malone. Of that group, I think he's got the highest peak, which makes him a little hard to guage. The thing that I think will affect his legacy is the lone MVP. It sort of reflects his turn it on/ turn it off approach, which I know belies questions about his drive.
    The top six are the only guys with multiple MVPs, and multiple titles, along with Duncan, and probably Mikan, who for me is almost playing another sport. It's not a terribly deep way to look at it, but it is an interesting seperation on players who are nearly universally regarded as the top six.

Co Sign. He could go anywhere between 4 - 8 depending on your preference of other prominent centers. But he did have a huge impact on the game when he entered the league off of physical presence alone. His biggest downfall will always be his work ethic and desire to play a fully motivated season in shape. He cost himself like 2 potential championships because of this.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

he's definitely a top 5 center.

probably top 10 player all-time. in my mind, he's remarkable lack of professionalism knocks him down the all-time list.