Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
mjbulls23
6 World Championships

mjbulls23 has an OK reputation so far
Default 1998 NBA Finals game 1

To me the 98 Bulls were probably the most impressive Bulls championship team.....the fact they were underdogs in the series still puzzles me........ Here is Game 1 from Youtube and even though they lost, this game could have gone either way.....

(wow at that move at 8:25 in the vid)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ETVJT3BIGLo

Last edited by mjbulls23 : 12-15-2007 at 03:27 AM.
mjbulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 1998 NBA Finals game 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbulls23
To me the 98 Bulls were probably the most impressive Bulls championship team.....the fact they were underdogs in the series still puzzles me........ Here is Game 1 from Youtube and even though they lost, this game could have gone either way.....

The play at 6:53 is one of my favorite plays of his. Sick fully committed shot fake sells it to Ostertag and then he swings the ball through low and splits defenders and elongates himself into a lefty finger roll at the rim. Amazing.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Please turn it off. Too many painful memories.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Please turn it off. Too many painful memories.
I feel ya, I was pulling for the jazz to win in both series, and I wanted stockton to get a ring before he retired. I think it was amazing what the Jazz were able to do despite having a lack of supporting talent. Eisley? Ostertag? Russel?

Last edited by Showtime : 12-15-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbulls23

I agree they were the most impressive Bulls team....that year, Pippen missed 41 games and everyone thought the season was doomed but they bounced back and won 62 games....another thing that no one points out about that season is that Rodman played in 80 games he was very valuable to the Bulls keeping up the pace and winning 62 games along with Jordan...the last two seasons Rodman was with the Bulls he played in at least 60 games in each season due to suspensions and off the court stuff....
and mind you, if Pippen didnt get injured in game 6, he was clearly the MVP of the Utah series...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Vragrant
National High School Star

Vragrant is considered somewhat coolVragrant is considered somewhat cool

I don't think they were the most talented but definately one of the more impressive of the Bulls title teams Mainly because that title showed how much heart they have. They weren't as deep as the other teams and they were older. But they overcame the deep Pacers in 7 and knocked off the favoured Jazz in 6.

JJordan had played more minutes that seasno since the '92 season, and Pippen had a bad back. Who was coming off the bench,, Kukoc?

I remember going into the Jazz sereis thinking to myself, "This might be it". I thought the Jazz might be too deep and balanced, but I was on the fence before the series started. The only things that stopped me from pioking the Jazz was I knew Jordan's penchant for heroics
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vragrant
I don't think they were the most talented but definately one of the more impressive of the Bulls title teams Mainly because that title showed how much heart they have. They weren't as deep as the other teams and they were older. But they overcame the deep Pacers in 7 and knocked off the favoured Jazz in 6.

JJordan had played more minutes that seasno since the '92 season, and Pippen had a bad back. Who was coming off the bench,, Kukoc?

I remember going into the Jazz sereis thinking to myself, "This might be it". I thought the Jazz might be too deep and balanced, but I was on the fence before the series started. The only things that stopped me from pioking the Jazz was I knew Jordan's penchant for heroics

Kukoc started in replace of Pippen early in the season......and in the playoffs Rodman came off the bench sometimes.....
Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBullsFan
and mind you, if Pippen didnt get injured in game 6, he was clearly the MVP of the Utah series...

You might want to watch the series again.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

Good memories.
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
You might want to watch the series again.

umm I remember this series like yesterday and have every game on video....Pippen had his best series in any of the finals....he was the MVP but that went away when he left game 6 with a back injury....and note this dont take anything away from Jordan....Pippen was the true MVP of that series!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Loki
Banned

Quote:
umm I remember this series like yesterday and have every game on video....Pippen had his best series in any of the finals....he was the MVP but that went away when he left game 6 with a back injury....and note this dont take anything away from Jordan....Pippen was the true MVP of that series!

Typical revisionist bullsh!t. Here are their numbers from games 1-5:

Jordan: 31.2 pts, 4.6 reb, 2.6 ast, 1.4 stl, .8 blk (42.7% FG)

Pippen: 17.2 pts, 7.6 reb, 5.0 ast, 1.6 stl, .8 blk (39.5% FG)

Add Pippen's extra 2.4 ast and he was responsible overall for 22-23 pts on worse efficiency than Jordan's 31.2 pts. So were his extra 3 rebounds per game and defensive impact enough to offset the fact that Jordan was the focus of the defense who created countless opportunities for others by his presence while Pippen didn't (and Jordan was no slouch defensively, either)? Jordan's numbers were superior, his impact was superior, and his clutch play and intangibles were always superior.

But yeah, I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you that a guy would have gotten Finals MVP (and "clearly" as you say ) averaging 17/8/5/40% with excellent defense over his teammate averaging 31/5/3/43% with great defense and all the clutch plays. Makes perfect sense.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

Quote:
Typical revisionist bullsh!t. Here are their numbers from games 1-5:

Jordan: 31.2 pts, 4.6 reb, 2.6 ast, 1.4 stl, .8 blk (42.7% FG)

Pippen: 17.2 pts, 7.6 reb, 5.0 ast, 1.6 stl, .8 blk (39.5% FG)

Add Pippen's extra 2.4 ast and he was responsible overall for 22-23 pts on worse efficiency than Jordan's 31.2 pts. So were his extra 3 rebounds per game and defensive impact enough to offset the fact that Jordan was the focus of the defense who created countless opportunities for others by his presence while Pippen didn't (and Jordan was no slouch defensively, either)? Jordan's numbers were superior, his impact was superior, and his clutch play and intangibles were always superior.

But yeah, I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you that a guy would have gotten Finals MVP (and "clearly" as you say ) averaging 17/8/5/40% with excellent defense over his teammate averaging 31/5/3/43% with great defense and all the clutch plays. Makes perfect sense.

where did you get those stats from ?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
Loki
Banned

Quote:
where did you get those stats from ?

From the box scores of the games on basketball-reference.com. Click "playoffs," then select 1998, and view the box scores for games 1-5.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
From the box scores of the games on basketball-reference.com. Click "playoffs," then select 1998, and view the box scores for games 1-5.
Wow, that's pretty cool.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: