Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default would guys like Bob Cousy, Jerry West, John Havlicek etc be stars in today's league?

Meaning if they were transplanted to today's league by time machine, so their athleticism, skill, attributes would be at the same level.
    Basically are perimeter players in the 60s, 70s, 50s, as good as perimeter players in the league now. Serious question because I seen a lot of people on this site say they are and I just have difficult time understanding that.

Default Re: would guys like Bob Cousy, Jerry West, John Havlicek etc be stars in today's league?

On my limited knowledge, I think the NBA got a lot better from the late 50s to the late 60s, so I don't think someone like Bob Cousy would really survive. To me it's all about the mentality, so someone like Jerry West would be in the league, don't think he would be the best.

The way I like to see it is like this, Reggie Miller played against Bird, and Bird was much better, and an old Reggie Miller played in the 2000s and he was pretty good. If you want to compare eras, I think that's a good way to start. I just don't know many great players from the 70s to compare to Bird.
    Last edited by jstern; 05-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: would guys like Bob Cousy, Jerry West, John Havlicek etc be stars in today's league?

Jerry West absolutely would be.

Havlicek would not be a superstar, but he would be considered probably the best 2nd option in the league.

Cousy would basically be Nash.

French Toast Mafia Sterlingsucks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Jerry West absolutely would be.

Havlicek would not be a superstar, but he would be considered probably the best 2nd option in the league.

Cousy would basically be Nash.
    How the hell would he be Nash? He had no left hand ! He would get raped on the court by quicker guard...the other two would be studs. Jerry West was a baller and would consistantly give buckets to any 2 guard BUT he also played really good D is what people forget..Havlicek is just a basketball player just like Billy Cunningham, Dave Cowens etc. no matter what they/he would have got his on the court.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingsucks
    How the hell would he be Nash? He had no left hand ! He would get raped on the court by quicker guard...the other two would be studs. Jerry West was a baller and would consistantly give buckets to any 2 guard BUT he also played really good D is what people forget..Havlicek is just a basketball player just like Billy Cunningham, Dave Cowens etc. no matter what they/he would have got his on the court.
    Because Cousy would adapt to the new style of play. You really think there would be no adaptation.

Here's a hint, Nash would be called for a carry every single time he would make a move if he played back when Cousy did. So would Nash just suck? Of course not, Nash would adapt his game and flourish as a great player. Just like Cousy would in today's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCP6mMMH2Q

In this interview Cousy says that what he was doing in his playing days.. is what all the 12 year olds are doing in schoolyards now.
    What was revolutionary back then, behind the back dribbling, behind the back passes, 'fancy' dribbling, has really become a part of the game. Now keep in mind that kids these days are trained to work on those aspects in a different manner than they were back in those days (it made Cousy a legend). Training schedules nowadays are more strict, more focus on player's health etc. I don't see how he could be a star in todays league..
    Still though, Cousy was SICK for his time and is one of the greatest pg's to ever play the game

NBA Superstar

John Havlicek was one of the best athletes in the game when he played, so yes, he would still be a star.

Jerry West is a top 12 all time (at worst), so yes, he too would be a star.

Bob Cousy would struggle because the PG position has changed so much since his day.

Saw a basketball once

Those guys couldn't play with Kobe, Lebron, Durant. In fact Kobe, Lebron, and Durant if they came from that era couldn't play in today's league either. There's been an evolution which makes it impossible for guys whose game was formed in another era to play today NBA. It took Dr. for there to be a Michael and it took Michael for there to be a Kobe etc. The way the game has evolved, the way it's played now, wasn't even in the imagination of those old time ballers.

Havlicek and West are going to be elite players in today's NBA. Bob Cousy needs to improve his shooting. He shot 37% from the field in his playing career. Nash is a superior player than Prime Bob Cousy. Steve is one of the best passers, and most efficient PG in NBA History.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 05-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Cousy was an amazing pioneer for his time, but he would struggle in today's league. This isn't a knock on his skill but the people are just bigger/stronger/faster, not to mention the defense is a lot better.

West would fare better because the guy was a hard-nosed dude and had unlimited range. If he can adjust and dribble with his left consistently he could be an All-Star.

And Havlicek? Definitely. The guy played a running game in the 60s with the Celtics and was known to have amazing durability. THe guy is an athlete, for sure, and would be the quintessential glue guy in today's league, definitely an All-Star at least.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NortonMang
    Those guys couldn't play with Kobe, Lebron, Durant. In fact Kobe, Lebron, and Durant if they came from that era couldn't play in today's league either. There's been an evolution which makes it impossible for guys whose game was formed in another era to play today NBA. It took Dr. for there to be a Michael and it took Michael for there to be a Kobe etc. The way the game has evolved, the way it's played now, wasn't even in the imagination of those old time ballers.
    that is not how evolution works, unless you are discussing something like this:

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    that is not how evolution works, unless you are discussing something like this:

\\

I think the guy in front is an enforcer for the Corleone crime family.

Havlicek averaged 46 mpg in his prime. 46! Is there anyone right now who could play 46 mpg? He was also an NFL draft pick, a track star and an overall outstanding athlete. Current Paul Pierce might be what modern Hondo would be, with better passing and stats due to increased playtime.

West was an exceptional shooter and was pretty athletic. He had spectacular fundamentals and was a monster defensively. He'd be effective with his jumper alone IMO. Probably a smaller and less athletic current Kobe with better passing.

Cousy is the one who I'd think would struggle a bit.

Saw a basketball once

If you see a guy playing great in high school that doesn't mean he could do the same against better competition. It was a different game by fellas who hadn't the opportunity for a broader basketball vision which necessarily evolved over time.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    Meaning if they were transplanted to today's league by time machine, so their athleticism, skill, attributes would be at the same level.
    Basically are perimeter players in the 60s, 70s, 50s, as good as perimeter players in the league now. Serious question because I seen a lot of people on this site say they are and I just have difficult time understanding that.
    The game is quite different compared to back then. How can someone fresh off a time machine be any good at all? They would need to adapt their game to today's rules and style of play in order to be any good. And that would mean changing some of their skills and attributes.