Lightbulb Terrence Ross extended to 3 year/$33 million contract with Raptors

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...234837020.html

Toronto Raptors forward Terrence Ross has agreed to a three-year, nearly $33 million contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

View photo
    .Toronto's Terrence Ross (R) drives past Boston's Evan Turner on Friday. (AP)
    Toronto's Terrence Ross (R) drives past Boston's Evan Turner on Friday. (AP)
    The Raptors avoid letting Ross become a free agent next summer when the league salary cap makes a steep rise. Toronto could've been forced to match a more expensive offer sheet. The extension begins in the 2016-17 season.

Ross, 24, is a skilled wing player whom Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri believes is starting to find the consistency to become a core player for Toronto. He started 61 games last season and averaged 9.8 points, and had his best game of this season Friday with 21 points in a victory over the Boston Celtics.

So far this season, Ross has played a reserve role behind Raptors All-Star forward DeMar DeRozan and DeMarre Carroll. Derozan will be an unrestricted free agent in 2016. Ross is the second Raptor to sign a rookie extension before the deadline, joining center Jonas Valanciunas, who signed a four-year, $64 million extension this summer.

Ross was the eighth overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft out of the University of Washington.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Terrence Ross extended to 3 year/$33 million contract with Raptors

Not a terrible deal because of the short length but a bad one because of how limited of a player Ross is. Regardless of where the cap is going. It'll be just another annoying short but bad deal the Raptors will have to endure.

I don't see the point of locking down a below-average guard. He does only one thing at maybe an above-average level, hit set 3-pointers created for him by others. You can find players like Ross in the 20-30 range of the 1st round in pretty much every draft.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I don't see the point of locking down a below-average guard. He does only one thing at maybe an above-average level, hit set 3-pointers created for him by others. You can find players like Ross in the 20-30 range of the 1st round in pretty much every draft.
    Not that I disagree with your assessment

but..

1) Insurance. In case Derozan simply wants way too much...
    (Hate to see it happen but...new max deal ?)

2) Rookies with "scheme awareness" still take a year or so to earn 6th man playing minutes; at least TRoss even with the inconsistency should be ready to go every game.
    (whether he performs or not ...well your points noted)

3) Trade value. Have no idea if this team is considering taking a run ant any specific player but $11Million a year is a nice contract value to play with when you are trying to match a cap stat within 10%
    (i.e. the 2nd or 3rd player in a superstar deal or the 2nd player that matches up with a mid - draft pick coming back in a 2 for 1 and pick deal)

Other players that got around the same money also in this offseason:
    Monta Ellis
    Danny Green
    Amir Johnson
    Rajon Rondo
    Iman Shumpert

I would have any of them over Ross, especially someone to be our starter (Amir) than to our 7th man (Ross).

Players that got about 7M per:
    Lou Williams
    Patrick Beverly
    Corey Brewer
    Jae Crowder

Is Ross that much better than these guys, if at all? Hell Jeremy Lamb also just signed 7M and is looking like he can be as good as Ross.

Bad deal.

Local High School Star

All fair points above.

Ross is not better than any of the names mentioned above.

Looks worse after Ross has put up something like 2 points 2 assists and 1 Rb since signing the deal.

I guess the question is threefold.

1) Would have any of the above come to Toronto for the same money and only 3 years ?

Answer: dunno speculation.

2) Is the team investing in Ross to develop...is there something more than insurance and trade bait ??

Answer: Only management knows.

3) Is Ross money indicative of a team that is on a trajectory to win ?

This is where its hard to tell.

You can argue that that $11M is really just Derozan's raise if they intend to flip Ross once Derozan is signed. Dunno speculation.

You can argue that Ross deal is actually pretty good cause it is only 3 years - short on term - and is probably very "move-able" given that the Cap is going north in the next three years and the money is not long term with underperforming talent.

I don't disagree with the assessment of Ross's skills with you guys - really I don't

I just think its kind of a "feel good bring back your own guy" "short term wont harm the cap" Management move... that still leaves the teams a lot options and flexibility depending upon :

1) what/who they try to chase in the off season (if any moves)
    2) what they do with the two draft picks

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

It was nice to forget about this with him on the shelf.

Now that Ross is back:

Andre Drummond.

Never forget. Thanks BC

Ross is a master at killing his own team's momentum. What a great investment. Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer kind of shit right here.

Local High School Star

Man it looks worse and worse and worse.

My position becomes un-defend-able if this keeps up. Maybe it kinda was in the first place but seriously.....Since he signed.. what 8 points total ? Last night verses Clippers O - O - O - 1 (1 assist?).

I mean I could handed the ball to Demare Carol at that point.

I was totally "no big deal". This was just a cap chip deal... They kind of deal that Management makes. I frankly expected that it was mostly Derozan's raise ; cap marking the moola and TRoss would be traded next year for picks once Derozan had signed on the bottom line.

His production has been god awful; further he is limiting is own tradability if he is unhappy in Toronto.

He is going to be consigned behind Bruno by AllStar unless someone kicks him in the rse