Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Question Underrated: Ability to adapt?

I may be alone on this, but I feel like something thats not discussed much here when comparing players is their ability to adapt, by which I mean on a number if different levels:

adapting their game to fit different offensive and defensive schemes

adapting their games as they get older to maintain high levels of play

adjusting to playing with other players

is this something that should be considered? Or plays a part in how you rate a player?

Some players to consider in regards to this: Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Kobe, Dirk just to name a few

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Underrated: Ability to adapt?

It should receive more attention. Other examples:

John Havliceks various roles as a Celtic.
    Dennis Johnsons transition to the Celtics as he aged.
    Earl Monroes transition to the Knicks.
    Elvin Hayes playing alongside Wes Unseld.
    Kareem's adjustments as a Laker.
    Oscars adjustment as a Buck
    Jerry Lucas move to the Knicks
    Jason Kidds adjustments as he got older, especially his shot.
    Chris Boshs ability to find a role in Bronball.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Vince Carter deserves a mention as well. The way he transitioned into 6th/7th man for Dallas was really impressive.

Kidd has shown the ability as both a player and coach. I believe he sits in the top-five (maybe 10) of all time threes made. Plus he learned to quit bleaching his hair.

On the opposite end, Gary Payton didn't fare so well in the triangle Lakers. I guess he redeemed himself with a couple big clutch playoff games for the Heat later down the line. But even on that team, his fit was tenuous.

Wilt Chamberlain:

50ppg on 50% with 2.5assists

24ppg on 70% with 8 assists

14ppg on 73% leading centers in assists and focusing almost entirely on defense

About as versatile a center as there has ever been.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Some players will fit in just about any system.

Guys like KG, Ray Allen come to mind.

Wade deserves a special mention.... his 2012 season one of the best season for a 2nd option in recent memory.

Tim Duncan can play with anybody and still fit in. I think that's actually his best attribute and the biggest reason why the Spurs are so successful. I feel like he'd be any coaches favorite player.

NBA lottery pick

This board seems to want to criticize players for not being the Jordan basically. As a result things like this which are clearly huge positive attributes get ignored.

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

The players mentioned in the op all play for a single franchise their lives. Maybe thats something to think about.

Also, I would bring Pierce into the discussion.
    From being the sole star, to sharing the ball with a big 3, to being the vet leader in the wizards

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by livingby3's
    The players mentioned in the op all play for a single franchise their lives. Maybe thats something to think about.

Also, I would bring Pierce into the discussion.
    From being the sole star, to sharing the ball with a big 3, to being the vet leader in the wizards
    Walker???? Come on now lol

Vince Carter deserves a mention as well. The way he transitioned into 6th/7th man for Dallas was really impressive.
    Agreed.

He was always "the injured guy" back in the day. Look how he's lasted. Iverson and Tmac long retired, Vince is still playing quality minutes for outside contenders.

Do you realize that Carter, Dirk, KG, Pierce, and Kobe are probably all going to retire at the end of this year?

Yeah, definitely op. I value it and it should be given more credit. Especially for guys who undergo stylistic changes mid career and still are successful. Sucks that things like this fly under the radar around here or are taken in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Wilt Chamberlain:

Against white scrubs with the athleticism as you.

Should be a lot higher if he was really good.

Definitely is undervalued in general. Some other places use the term portability.

Ability to fit and thrive in a variety of systems, in a variety of roles, with a variety of supporting casts.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    I may be alone on this, but I feel like something thats not discussed much here when comparing players is their ability to adapt, by which I mean on a number if different levels:

adapting their game to fit different offensive and defensive schemes

adapting their games as they get older to maintain high levels of play

adjusting to playing with other players

is this something that should be considered? Or plays a part in how you rate a player?

Some players to consider in regards to this: Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Kobe, Dirk just to name a few
    I bring it up quite frequently in comparisons. Its under the bigger category of resourcefulness. I usually bring it up to show how Magic was different from other players in this regard (Bird as well). Magic and Bird were resourceful enough to change roles before the game and during the game. It changed the game and their intellectual reserves put the game at another level. It was something centers could not do.

In his first years Magic went from playing all of the positions to a great post player, a great offensive rebounder, an inside out player, an outside in player, lead player or support player, greatest PG, could penetrate, by '87 was steady on the outside shot, had a good hook shot, could see the whole floor and play it from all positions. He could have the Lakers outrun the running teams like Denver or slow it down in the half court with precise execution. He could totally balance the floor with the other four players getting equal play or he could feature one hot player. And he often adapted two or three times within the same game. Magic rarely got stuck in ruts or one place.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 10-30-2015 at 05:02 PM.

College superstar

I fully agree with the OP. The ability to change your game and still be effective is very underrated. That's partially why I rank Magic so highly. I said the following about him some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip

IMO Magic is the greatest "puzzle piece" ever. By this I mean you could fit him in any offense, it would work, and he could still dominate without negatively impacting anyone else. He came in sharing pg duties with another player, and it worked. The pg was traded. He assumed full facilitating duties, and it worked. When it was time for him to become the team's leading scorer, he did so, and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Wilt Chamberlain:

Last edited by jlip; 10-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.