Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    you still have to be one year removed from graduating HS
    wat if u never went to hs

Banned

Default Re: Shabazz Muhammed has been lying about his age

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Say hello to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Since when was Kareem marketable?

He would've been just as marketable if he was still Lew Alcindor.

I highly doubt the name change was for marketability reasons, just like Muhammad Ali.

i dont agree with the NBA forcing kids to go to college for a year. it's not up to them to decide whether or not the kid is ready (they never are nowadays), but im sure the ncaa is blowing them off for doing it (by blowing them off, i mean they are in bed with each other).

im sure corporations are allowed to hire a HS graduate for an illustrious position if they choose it. sure, the person who hires the kid might get fired for it...but its allowed.

i seen a UCLA game this year, this kid has no allegiance to the school. he has checked out on many occasions. forcing him to take a few classes will not make him any more ready. and his pops seems like a total a-hole as well.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is. Somebody enlighten me as to why this is news

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    I'm not seeing what the big deal is. Somebody enlighten me as to why this is news
    It's theorized in the article that older athletes playing against younger competition can be a "huge edge."

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    thanks.

And that's a bad thing because?

It has no effect on his being in the NBA where there are players from 19 to 35+

If they're thinking physical development everyone's different at that age anyways Some guys look like full grown men when they come into the league some don't

this is a non story in the end, if you can play the last thing the pros will care about is one year in his age

NBA rookie of the year

Wow, that's one extreme father.
    It's one thing to do your best as a parent so your kids can achieve something in life but pushing this much for a basketball dream is not a good case of parenting. Now luckily Shabazz became a damn good baller, but if he would have failed he would have considered himself to be a failure.

I've played plenty of basketball and when I played for the youth national team in Sweden we had Jeff Taylor on our squad, the same Jeff Taylor who now plays for Charlotte Bobcats. Jeff's father played in the NBA for a short while and he really was there for his son when it came to basketball and he helped him to play HS basketball in New Mexico but it was never extreme, he saw that his kid was the best in the nation and gave him the right tools to work with. His other kids are normal kids doing what they want in life, one is a singer and the other one is playing basketball for fun and their dad really loves basketball, he coach youth teams in the city they live in.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0
    Since when was Kareem marketable?

He would've been just as marketable if he was still Lew Alcindor.

I highly doubt the name change was for marketability reasons, just like Muhammad Ali.

Lew Alcindor sounds much more menacing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Lew Alcindor sounds much more menacing to me.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

If they're thinking physical development everyone's different at that age anyways Some guys look like full grown men when they come into the league some don't
    I think that is the big thing. You expect a 19 year old to have more room to develop physically than a 20 year old. Sure there are exceptions but generally, that's the case. It's probably not as big of a deal as it would be in baseball but it does limit his projected ceiling a little bit.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I think that is the big thing. You expect a 19 year old to have more room to develop physically than a 20 year old. Sure there are exceptions but generally, that's the case. It's probably not as big of a deal as it would be in baseball but it does limit his projected ceiling a little bit.
    guess it's some magical year of something

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    i dont agree with the NBA forcing kids to go to college for a year. it's not up to them to decide whether or not the kid is ready (they never are nowadays), but im sure the ncaa is blowing them off for doing it (by blowing them off, i mean they are in bed with each other).

im sure corporations are allowed to hire a HS graduate for an illustrious position if they choose it. sure, the person who hires the kid might get fired for it...but its allowed.

In virtually every other sport, except the NFL, a kid can go pro as soon as a team is willing to employ him.

There is no reason to require one year in college, and it leads to all kinds of OJ Mayo-type corruption because the players don't need (or want) to be there.

The 'one and done' was mandated to keep top level players in college for at least a single year to prop up the NCAA. Obviously, that hasn't helped, so it might as well be scrapped.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Because it's a lie. Won't be as big as big as the Te'o thing to the general public but every team that thinks about drafting him is going to demand in-depth answers about what's been going on. And these questions will dog him in interviews throughout his rookie year. Combine that with
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    guy is a fukking asshole too.......remember this ? :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuZv7snezw
    and you have serious character questions. Still a lottery pick with undeniable talent but teams don't want to deal with personality problems.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

In virtually every other sport, except the NFL, a kid can go pro as soon as a team is willing to employ him.

There is no reason to require one year in college, and it leads to all kinds of OJ Mayo-type corruption because the players don't need (or want) to be there.

The 'one and done' was mandated to keep top level players in college for at least a single year to prop up the NCAA. Obviously, that hasn't helped, so it might as well be scrapped.
    The NBA and NBPA negotiated it. NBA owners care a little bit about using the NCAA as a free farm system while the players don't care at all. So the useless year of schooling got negotiated in and will continue to get negotiated in so long as the NBPA can continue to get a few more dollars on their side for pretending to care about the right of 18 year-olds to work. It's a useful rule for NBA GMs and scouts because it lets them see potential picks play vs a higher level of competition and the pressure of the tournament.

I don't think it's about helping the NCAA, we saw Davis and MKG lead Kentucky to a Championship last year but normally teams do better with the lower level talents that will stay a few years and mature before going to the NBA. If the NBA wanted to boost the NCAA they'd give up another percent of BRI and make kids stay for 3 years like the NFL. Then you'd see star match-ups on the level of Magic vs. Bird in the NCAA Champ game occur. Casual fans aren't introduced to NCAA stars until the tournament so with one-and-done by the time people know who the best talents are they've already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The NBA and NBPA negotiated it. NBA owners care a little bit about using the NCAA as a free farm system while the players don't care at all. So the useless year of schooling got negotiated in and will continue to get negotiated in so long as the NBPA can continue to get a few more dollars on their side for pretending to care about the right of 18 year-olds to work. It's a useful rule for NBA GMs and scouts because it lets them see potential picks play vs a higher level of competition and the pressure of the tournament.
    I'm aware that it was negotiated, but that doesn't make it legal. Plenty of negotiated agreements have been struck down because they were judged to have discriminated against a given group.

It has been legally argued that the forced 'one and done' acts as an illegal restraint on trade for the high school players because they're being prohibited from participating in a marketplace where an employer would hire them, but for the unfair restriction. Its a valid argument.

I don't think it's about helping the NCAA, we saw Davis and MKG lead Kentucky to a Championship last year but normally teams do better with the lower level talents that will stay a few years and mature before going to the NBA. If the NBA wanted to boost the NCAA they'd give up another percent of BRI and make kids stay for 3 years like the NFL. Then you'd see star match-ups on the level of Magic vs. Bird in the NCAA Champ game occur. Casual fans aren't introduced to NCAA stars until the tournament so with one-and-done by the time people know who the best talents are they've already gone.
    Its not all about helping the NCAA, but that's definitely a big part of the rule. Mainly, in my view, the NBA vets want to keep the best rookies in college for at least a season to protect their spots.

Stars sell college basketball. That's why this year's tournament was viewed to be lackluster by so many, because notable names are absent. If the 'one and done' was abolished, even fewer top talents would stay in college.

I do understand the reasoning behind the rule, but it does more harm than good. Top-tier talent can opt to go to college if they want to, but shouldn't be forced to.