Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Is anyone really impressed by Wilt's 100 point game?

Especially since there is no video footage of it and at the time the competition was not like it is today. Plus that team he played on when he scored a 100 pts did they win a title that year? Or was the highlight of that season the 100 point game? I mean who cares about a 50th anniversary of a game that is not on video? Anyone agree?

And no I don't think he is a top 4 center because he played in a weak era

Default Re: Is anyone really impressed by Wilt's 100 point game?

Of course not. Everyone knows Wilt is the one that ALLOWED the 100 points, stat-guy got it wrong.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So your point is you are unimpressed with something you didnt see?

I...dont know that we need a 5th Wilt topic at the moment for the same 3 people toargue with the same 3 people who hate on Wilt bothsides using the same points they do daily. But....whatever. Its not Kobe/Lebron/lin.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76
    Especially since there is no video footage of it and at the time the competition was not like it is today. Plus that team he played on when he scored a 100 pts did they win a title that year? Or was the highlight of that season the 100 point game? I mean who cares about a 50th anniversary of a game that is not on video? Anyone agree?

What needs to be considered it that, as dominant as he was, teams didn't walk into the game saying let's let Wilt drop 60/70/80/100 on us. They did everything they could to try to stop him and no one could.

The average skill level was surely not as great as it is now, but there were plenty of HOF level players in the league who Wilt played unbelievable against. Out of all the positions, the play of C's probably changed the least since that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

I...dont know that we need a 5th Wilt topic at the moment for the same 3 people toargue with the same 3 people who hate on Wilt bothsides using the same points they do daily. But....whatever. Its not Kobe/Lebron/lin.
    I'm wondering what the hell is up with the rash of Wilt topics lately? Seems like baiting attempts to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I'm wondering what the hell is up with the rash of Wilt topics lately? Seems like baiting attempts to me.
    Probably because tomorrow is the anniversary of his 100 point game and they are airing a special on NBA TV about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Nobody saw it since CBS wasn't airing the NBA back then-lol I'm more impressed with Kobe's 81 points from a few years ago

3-time NBA All-Star

Wilt, himself, was not as impressed with the 100 point game, as some of his other accomplishments. To be honest, as great a game as it was, it was a circus in the 4th quarter.

Still, no other player in NBA history has even come remotely close to it.

Is anyone really impressed by Kobe's 81 point game? Plus that team he played on when he scored 81 pts did they win a title that year? Or was the highlight of that season the 81 point game?

Great college starter

Nobody saw it since CBS wasn't airing the NBA back then-lol I'm more impressed with Kobe's 81 points from a few years ago

I'm a bit more impressed by David Thompson's 73-points cuz he did it on less shots, and had like 52-53 points at the half, but decided to slow his shooting in the second half cuz he didn't feel comfortable hogging the ball that much...

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I know nobody saw it. It wasnt even played in an NBA city.

Just seems like an odd question to me. Ask who cares when it has an ESPN special and is one of the more well known performances in sports history?

Im sure there are other people who dont know or care anything about NBA history(Which I assume is the case with you if you dont know who won the title in 1962....considering that who won just about everything those days is common knowledge to NBA fans).

And there are people who hate Wilt for....some reason.

But "Who cares?" just seems like an odd thing to ask about this. Like asking who cares about Babe Ruth calling his HR or who cares about Gale Sayers 6td game.

You either care about the history of the sport or you dont.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

If you're a student of the game, and have more than just a casual interest largely due to whatever hot new star there is in the NBA at the moment, you'll be interested in the history of the game, whether there's video of certain games or not. They guys got REAL hate just for being talented enough to play a sport invented and, at the time, dominated by white athletes. But hey that's the past, so throw it away, right?!
    Last edited by LakersReign; 03-02-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    If you're a student of the game, and have more than just a casual interest largely due to whatever hot new star there is in the NBA at the moment, you'll be interested in the history of the game, whether there's video of certain games or not. They guys got REAL hate jsut for being talented enough to play a sport invented and at the time dominated by white athletes. But hey that's the past so throw it away, right?!
    Smartest thing you ever said. Props.

Was it ever explained why there was not televised and older NBA games from the 50's were on video?

It's 100 points bro.

If your not trolling and your genuinely interested in insight this Interview with his teammates should answer all of your questions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27tReCWl8RY
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.