Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: I just can't fully respect players who don't guard stars at their positions

Quote Originally Posted by Klay 3D

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: I just can't fully respect players who don't guard stars at their positions

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Jordan guarded his POSITION. When did you ever see him hiding from his positional matchup?

I wouldn't go as far as the thread title but I can't respect you as a DEFENDER if you don't take the challenge and guard star players at your position in most instances.

Someone brought up Chris Paul, he's like the only star PG who is COMPETITIVE enough and prideful enough of his defense to take the challenge and guard the other elite players every night. Once in a while he'll get cooked, that happens at times, but at least he doesn't hide. How cowardly would it look if they put JJ Redick or Austin Rivers on Curry/Westbrook/Lillard, etc while he saves energy for offense?

jj reddick and rivers are nowhere near level of defenders as klay so thats a non point. If tony allen or something was on the clippers theyd be throwing him at westbrook too.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Easy to state this when there were clearly no all time great talents at his position during his reign. (Maybe Drexler) It isn't true because I have seen other players guarding Hornacek for instance, but whatever. The PG position has far more elite talent in today's NBA than SG has ever had in any era.

You have an agenda and it's easily detected.
    Drexler, Miller, Richmond were all great, HOF players/scorers. Jordan guarded those guys. He was too prideful and competitive to not go up against his best matchups. It looks SOFT when guys hide on defense I'm sorry.

Did you watch the game just last night?

Curry was on Westbrook a lot.

Do you think Jordan guarded the opposing team's best player at all times? Or did Pippen sometimes take the assignment?
    I don't get this. Klay and Curry take turns guarding star players so both players have good energy offensively, it's a good strategy by Kerr. You can't have it both ways when a star plays very well, Curry plays no defense & the opposite it's only because Klay guarded him.. when they share defensive duties on star PG 50-50.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Hi Justin
    Hi handsome.

And Lebron23, WTF is wrong with you? Why would someone pretend to be a different race than they are?

Calm your little brown ass down, son.

Drexler, Miller, Richmond were all great, HOF players/scorers. Jordan guarded those guys. He was too prideful and competitive to not go up against his best matchups. It looks SOFT when guys hide on defense I'm sorry.
    I simply typed in "Reggie vs the Bulls" on youtube and this is the first thing that came up...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYl2PnvknQ

Harper was the primary defender while Jordan was on the floor in the very first video I watched.

Just be real.

I rule the local playground Klay 3D's Avatar

Paul has never guarded Bran or Durant for an entire game.

He gets switched onto them through pick and rolls.
    Not an entire game because that would be foolish, but don't you remember the ~20pt come back in the playoffs when CP3 was guarding KD in the 4th? I'm saying CP3 does get those assignments sometimes because he very capable even if it's just for a few minutes. He can hold his ground with a strong low center of gravity. No knock on Curry cause everyone has their own game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-EYCDbIUxs

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    jj reddick and rivers are nowhere near level of defenders as klay so thats a non point. If tony allen or something was on the clippers theyd be throwing him at westbrook too.
    Same goes for Thompson and Allen. Thompson is a good on-ball defender. Allen is one of the best defenders in the league and almost as good as anybody on the perimeter in NBA history.

If Curry really is a good defender, the dropoff from Thompson to him shouldn't be enough to where he lets Thompson handle his assignments half of the time. If HE doesn't believe in his defense why should I?

I simply typed in "Reggie vs the Bulls" on youtube and this is the first thing that came up...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYl2PnvknQ

Harper was the primary defender while Jordan was on the floor in the very first video I watched.

Just be real.
    One highlight video, really? Jordan shut Miller down in the 4th quarter of game 7 in that same series.

Same goes for Thompson and Allen. Thompson is a good on-ball defender. Allen is one of the best defenders in the league and almost as good as anybody on the perimeter in NBA history.

If Curry really is a good defender, the dropoff from Thompson to him shouldn't be enough to where he lets Thompson handle his assignments half of the time. If HE doesn't believe in his defense why should I?

One highlight video, really? Jordan shut Miller down in the 4th quarter of game 7 in that same series.
    One 4th quarter, really?

Like I said...this was the very first video that popped up. I didn't cherry pick. And i'm sure a lot of the videos will be similar.

NBA All-star

body someone up for no reason, in order for someone to have to go for a different direction.

if you can't body someone up for no reason, then you're gambling that he is not someone who makes an impact, by the time it's shameful to do it.

If you go by quarters, how many shots are taken per team, and who's taking them

A Guard can not play defense and play on the floor, all it takes is the ability get the defensive rebound on the weakside position.

I'm glad someone else said it.
    Curry is the only player in history where we ignore half the game just because he isn't good at it.
    Some of the excuses I've heard to cover up Curry being hidden on defense are ridiculous. Dude is just a liability, period.

Curry is a good man to man defender and excellent help defender for a point guard.

Klay is just a better defender so he gets the assignment of guarding the stars.

It's okay not to respect that but don't make the mistake of thinking Curry is a bad defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    I'm glad someone else said it.
    Curry is the only player in history where we ignore half the game just because he isn't good at it.
    Some of the excuses I've heard to cover up Curry being hidden on defense are ridiculous. Dude is just a liability, period.
    To be fair, Nash was even worse

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    To be fair, Nash was even worse
    Ya think?