Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Root Of All Evil

Default Re: Who Guards Michael Jordan Well?

Scottie Pippen was the defensive player he was because he was forced to gaurd Michael Jordan everyday for years and years in practice. And MJ was as ruthless in practice was he was in games, so Pippen saw the best player to ever play the game every morning after he had his breakfast and went to the gym. Must have been hell, but it turned him into the player he became.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Height and athleticism has little to do with defensive abilities. It helps if you are long and athletic. But defensive has always been more about tenacity, intelligence, and heart. Understanding angles, strengths and weakness of players, etc. I remember a dumb ass friend of mine trying to say today's era players are better defenders because they're bigger (they're not) and more athletic (they're not)
    Yes.

Of course height and athleticism helps, but defense is mainly intelligence/effort.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    i definitely think it has to do with pip's length. he had some serious reach...
    Of course

This kind of dunk cannot be easily forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETzpRdC6WS8

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Pip I'm sure did a good job vs MJ. Pip had too, he played against him everyday in practice.

The toughest defender I've ever faced was my cousin. He was slow as hell and couldn't guard anybody else, but since we played each other all the time, he learned how to play me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Scottie Pippen was the defensive player he was because he was forced to gaurd Michael Jordan everyday for years and years in practice. And MJ was as ruthless in practice was he was in games, so Pippen saw the best player to ever play the game every morning after he had his breakfast and went to the gym. Must have been hell, but it turned him into the player he became.
    i agree completely with this statement. in fact, i've said almost the exact same thing in other threads.

still... if you gave scottie pippen's brain to mark price, he still wouldn't be the same caliber of defensive player. pippen's tenacity, instincts, ability to read offensive players, etc--were made even more effective by his quickness, leaping ability, and especially his length.

Magic Johnson

Why is there a thread about MJ? Didn't he retire? I hope he's not planning on making another comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Of course

This kind of dunk cannot be easily forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETzpRdC6WS8
    man... that dunk was epic. that's the kind of dunk you could make a full length feature film about.

that highlight is also notable because i believe that is officially the point in time where hubie brown completely lost his mind. at one point in that vid, he actually blurts out "THAT IS ELEVATION ELEVATION!"

lol

good times

Value Ape.

Jordo himself said the rock and reggie defended him well.

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

GP, Starks, Miller

College superstar

In the playoffs Jordan had his worst games against the Knicks (he had some atrocious games where the media was questioning him), Sonics, Bucks (rookie), and it's probably no accident that he had a lot more clustered bad games in '97 and '98 because he was old and had something wrong with his hand in '98 I believe (a cracked knuckle I think? I'm sure Loki will chime in any moment). He did have some problems against the Pacers in '98 for example but I find it hard to believe that has anything to do with Reggie's defense in particular.

In his third year against Boston (not the 63 pt game series, this was in '87) the Bulls got swept and MJ put up 35-7-6 but on 41.7% shooting. It's kinda funny since if any player did that today it would be considered like a heroic career defining struggle or something but for him that was pretty subpar. I'm assuming DJ was living inside of Jordan's jersey.

Kevin Johnson played him pretty well in game 3 of the 93 finals. He still got 44 points...but on 43 shots. And basically disappeared down the stretch in the fourth quarter and the 3 OTs, KJ pretty much forced him to take perimeter jumpers that weren't going down. Whether it was more of KJ playing well that one game, MJ being tired, I dunno. It uh, obviously didn't carry over to the rest of the series, but it's something.

Banned

Kobe has held Jordan to 24.5 ppg on 43.6% FG, 30.0% 3PT, 75.0% FT

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=bryanko01

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KB42PAH

LMAO @ this clown.

In his Wizards days, Kobe rarely guarded Jordan and vice versa. In his Bulls days, Jordan did to Kobe what he does to everyone else. Try again.

NBA rookie of the year

I also love how you're highlighting the FG% (despite the fact that Kobe rarely guarded Jordan in their teams' meetings) -- Kobe has shot that FG% for entire seasons.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    LMAO @ this clown.

In his Wizards days, Kobe rarely guarded Jordan and vice versa. In his Bulls days, Jordan did to Kobe what he does to everyone else. Try again.
    There are games from Bulls/Lakers there too, check the stats Loki. I know how you love stats.

NBA rookie of the year

There are games from Bulls/Lakers there too, check the stats Loki. I know how you love stats.
    Who's Loki? Anyway, it was usually Eddie Jones on Jordan, not Kobe. When Kobe was on Jordan, Jordan did whatever he wanted as usual.