Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Who Guards Michael Jordan Well?

The only guy I can think of is Joe Dumars. Anybody know any other list of defenders during the 80's and 90's NBA who can guard Michael pretty well or shut him down?

Root Of All Evil

Default Re: Who Guards Michael Jordan Well?

Small guards who were real quick, and had heart could give him problems at times. But ultimately no one could guard him.

GP

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Yea, Jordan has said that Joe Dumars played the best defense against him.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by west
    GP
    No ... just, no

guys people tried to bill as "jordan stoppers" were...

craig ehlo. didn't do so well. this led to the cavs aquiring...

gerald wilkins. somewhere along the line, someone nicknamed him "the jordan stopper". the cavs thought he might help them get past the bulls in the playoffs. that didn't end well for them.

joe dumars. like ehlo and wilkins, a very good defender. did the best job out of the 3, and the pistons still had to apply "the jordan rules" when they played the bulls to try to contain him.

GP did well against him, but by the time they locked horns in the finals, Jordan had developed into a monster in the post, and GP was understandably screwed. Clyde tried like hell, and had success sometimes.

john starks and derek harper both took their turns tying to check him at times, and the combined efforts of the Knicks made for some very tough playoff series. that said, we all know who prevailed...

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    No ... just, no
    Played him extremely well in the 96 finals. Jordan was having hissy fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    guys people tried to bill as "jordan stoppers" were...

craig ehlo. didn't do so well. this led to the cavs aquiring...

gerald wilkins. somewhere along the line, someone nicknamed him "the jordan stopper". the cavs thought he might help them get past the bulls in the playoffs. that didn't end well for them.

joe dumars. like ehlo and wilkins, a very good defender. did the best job out of the 3, and the pistons still had to apply "the jordan rules" when they played the bulls to try to contain him.

GP did well against him, but by the time they locked horns in the finals, Jordan had developed into a monster in the post, and GP was understandably screwed. Clyde tried like hell, and had success sometimes.

john starks and derek harper both took their turns tying to check him at times, and the combined efforts of the Knicks made for some very tough playoff series. that said, we all know who prevailed...
    Not really...

National High School Star

Pippen in practice I have heard.

But to be honest based on the rules at the time I say younger Dennis Rodman was not bad. Guys like Hersey Hawkins or Bobby Phills played him very physical. But overall the answer is Dumars or Rodman to me, though the true correct answer is the Pistons/Knicks defense.

Banned

Bruce B with hand checking would have slowed down Michael.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Played him extremely well in the 96 finals. Jordan was having hissy fits.
    Payed him well in that series? Sure. Hissy fits? Uhh no. Ultimately the Bulls won, when they shoulve swept in Seattle. But they won, and Jordan was MVP. I guess that really is giving someone hissy fits. Oh, and GP never really gave him "problems" at any other point in their career. Especiall prior to his first retirement, when he was at his peak.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    Bruce B with hand checking would have slowed down Michael.
    Bruce Bowen played in Jordan's era with hand checks. And in DIME magazine a year or two ago they asked him who the hardest player to guard was ... and he said Jordan. And he played against a well aged Jordan. No Kobe. Jordan.

Da Mavs

LeBron's dominant defense would have staggered Jordan to the point of being shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Pippen in practice I have heard.

But to be honest based on the rules at the time I say younger Dennis Rodman was not bad. Guys like Hersey Hawkins or Bobby Phills played him very physical. But overall the answer is Dumars or Rodman to me, though the true correct answer is the Pistons/Knicks defense.
    i forget where i heard this, so i can't source it, but as the story goes...

jordan was asked once if anyone in the NBA could guard him one-on-one, and he said "yeap. he's right there." and pointed at pippen.

relating to that... they also supposedly asked "is there anything you can't do (on a basketball court/with a ball)?" and he said there was something. he said he couldn't jump off his right foot and dunk right handed, but scottie could.

wish i could confirm/refute those. interesting anecdotes.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

The only players who had some success in containing MJ for a meaningful period were Dumars and Starks. Both were short(6'3), had very quick feet, good strength, intelligent, played in the severe hand-checking era and most importantly, played on great defensive teams.