Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default MJ had highest career usage, proving he carried offenses the most

Definition of usage:

"Usage Rate, a measure of how big a role the player fills in his team's offense.

The bigger the role, the more difficult it is to maintain a high ORtg; the smaller the role, the easier it is to be highly efficient."

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html
    (scroll to bottom "notes" section)

[COLOR="White"].................[/COLOR]usage/ortg RS[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]usage/ortg PO

JORDAN........33/118...............35/118
    LEBRON.........31/116...............32/116
    DURANT.........30/117...............30/115
    KOBE..............32/110...............31/111
    HARDEN.........32/118…........... 33/111

(Harden's numbers are from his time in Houston)

MJ played the biggest role in a team's offense, thereby carrying the biggest load, and did so more efficiently than his peers (higher ortg, aka producing more points per 100 possessions)
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-19-2019 at 04:19 PM.

NBA Legend

Default Re: MJ had highest career usage, proving he carried teams /controlled games the most

No, it means he had the highest usage.

You could put a ballhog like Kobe on the 86 Celtics and he’d prob have a sky high usage because he’s a chucker. It doesnt mean he’s carrying shit. It means he has high usage and that’s it. Even if they win games, it’s not “because” of his usage.

MJ’s team won 50+ and fell a game short of the Conf Finals after he retired. Hardly a massive drop off.

GTFO wit dat weak stuff.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: MJ had highest career usage, proving he carried offenses the most

Its just how many shot attempts, free throws, and turnovers you get for your minutes isnt it?

If I dribbled the ball for 22 seconds every time and dished it off for someone to shoot....

Would my usage rate be zero?

Default Re: MJ had highest career usage, proving he carried teams /controlled games the most

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

No, it means he had the highest usage.
    Which means he finished the highest percentage of possessions

That's literally what usage is

Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Its just how many shot attempts, free throws, and turnovers you get for your minutes isnt it?

If I dribbled the ball for 22 seconds every time and dished it off for someone to shoot....

Would my usage rate be zero?
    See the previous post

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Which means he finished the highest percentage of possessions

That's literally what usage is

That provides zero indication of how important/replaceable someone is to their team.

See the previous post

The one where you posted the formula that was FGA, turnovers, and free throws?

Again I have to ask...

If I stand with the ball all play...but dont shoot or get the turnover put on me...is my usage zero?

Again I have to ask...

If I stand with the ball all play...but dont shoot or get the turnover put on me...is my usage zero?
    But you would get the turnover put on you, which is why no one ever does what you said

Your scenario relates to nothing

Jordan Stopper

Again I have to ask...

Did you just lock my thread

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    That provides zero indication of how important/replaceable someone is to their team.
    Well it means that when you lose MJ, you have to replace 33-36% of the possessions, compared to less for everyone else

And at a higher efficiency than you have to replace everyone else's too.

NBA Legend

Well it means that when you lose MJ, you have to replace 33-36% of the possessions, compared to less for everyone else

And at a higher efficiency than you have to replace everyone else's too.

Okay, but spreading those extra touches to the rest of the team will either be good or bad depending on how good or bad the team is. Having a high usage doesnt intrinsically make someone valuable.

But you would get the turnover put on you, which is why no one ever does what you said

Your scenario relates to nothing

I mentioned passing it off.

The idea many people have is usage relates to time with the ball. It seems to me that you could run a team...with low usage. All it counts is shot attempts, free throws, and turnovers.

But how was he able to do this during a time where his conference wasn't historically weak? During a time where it was harder to score the ball and hand checking was allowed? A time where flagrant fouls of today were considered touch fouls back then? You put Jordan in today's game and his usage INCREASES even further, resulting in him carrying an even bigger load than what he did back when he played. No wonder why people that had to settle for watching mediocrity instead of MJ are so triggered by all this.

It wasn

1. Michael Jordan* 33.26
    2. Russell Westbrook 32.67
    3. DeMarcus Cousins 31.99
    4. Kobe Bryant 31.85
    5. Allen Iverson* 31.83
    6. LeBron James 31.53