Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Jordan will be buried and forgotten as time goes by and the game continues to change

MJ's legacy will be fine. But LeBron will eventually be remembered the same way as Jerry West; the guy that kept losing.

Default Re: Jordan will be buried and forgotten as time goes by and the game continues to change

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    so whats the point arguing over it so much instead of just building and enjoying your good life?
    Because when he invokes a nice and tasty meltdown response, it puts a smile on his face. He converts that positive energy into succeeding at whatever he's doing in real life. It's a win win situation for him and everyone on that side because it's the side that has all the facts to support his argument. No one even listens to someone that didn't watch MJ play. Their opinion has no value because it isn't based on anything. It's like commenting on a movie you never saw. No one is going to listen to it. The cherry on top is how the other side falls into playing such a rigged game. He already witnessed GOAT MJ, everything else that comes after is just a bonus whereas the other side has to struggle and wonder what it might have been like to be in his shoes and witness such GOAT level play. A level of play that no one has seen since MJ left the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Again, you don't know what I'm doing or my career.. I appreciate the concern though.. you seem like a nice person

why cant you rank these 4 players individually

1989 michael jordan
    1990 michael jordan
    2012 lebron james
    2013 lebron james

Serious playground baller DidUSaySomethin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    Kobe Bryant > Lebron James
    Bill Russell > Tim Duncan
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar > Magic Johnson
    Wilt Chamberlain > Shaquille O'neal

jordan is the only guy worthy of being in that top 5 if we cut out all the bullshit

duncan stole finals mvp from manu in 05

lebron has 3 colluded ring chased bullshit titles saved by bail outs/suspensions or won in fake lockout seasons

magic never played a lick of defense

and shaqs a journeyman that got swept or 1-4'd out of the playoffs every single year when he didn't have a legendary wing in his absolute prime
    duncan deserved the finals MVP in 05 and 07

Serious playground baller DidUSaySomethin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matppak
    Come on bro I like Kobe but your going to far. Kobe took 2x as many 3pt attempts as Jordan and made .002% better that's not being a better shooter. If anything Jordan in today's game would avg 38 or 39% from 3 avg more that 3 attempts. Mj for a career shot 50%from the field and Kobe did it like 3 or 4 times to be generous while MJ was the guy all those years and Kobe was not leading in scoring every year.

As far as becoming boring Jordan was one of the best around the rim and off the glass we've ever seen. If his post game gets boring then so does Kobes and Kawhis and anyone who ever use a post game because he master all aspects of the post up game. So it took 25 years to for 3 players to finally be able to do Jordan's dunks that's pretty damn good for holding the test of time.

If anything your arguements hold water against lebron only as far as Kareem he couldn't do anything without a great PG so he cant be the goat Magic was the Alpha on all those teams I got MJ Magic Larry Russell Kareem Duncan Kobe and so on lebron is some where behind all that I'd even put Isaiah in front of him

Kobe was Jordan lite and Jordan was just the GOAT dont let lebron stans cloud your judgement
    that's cause the league shortened the 3pt line in the mid 90s. and duncan's better than magic and bird

NBA rookie of the year

If it was going to happen it would've happened already, it's been 20+ years since he played for the Bulls and despite a handful of sad posters on this board, the fact is by and large by the public he's still considered the GOAT and I see more kids rocking Jordan brand shoes than Curry or LeBron shoes.

I kinda wish kids today actually would move on, but the GOAT is the GOAT. But it would be freaking nice to be able to get a pair of damn Air Jordan XIs without having to line up or reserve them 2 months in advance because of a bunch of kids.

LeBron and Kobe will be the ones who in 5-8 years will be far less known they both still benefit from recency bias, take that away and their legacies will shrink.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 01-20-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    If it was going to happen it would've happened already, it's been 20+ years since he played for the Bulls and despite a handful of sad posters on this board, the fact is by and large by the public he's still considered the GOAT and I see more kids rocking Jordan brand shoes than Curry or LeBron shoes.

I kinda wish kids today actually would move on, but the GOAT is the GOAT. But it would be freaking nice to be able to get a pair of damn Air Jordan XIs without having to line up or reserve them 2 months in advance because of a bunch of kids.

LeBron and Kobe will be the ones who in 5-8 years will be far less known they both still benefit from recency bias, take that away and their legacies will shrink.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave

na because people like myself who watched mj play are still the majority of nba fans

once we move on MJs legacy will be shat on and buried

look at the media.. only skip and stephen a smith back mj anymore. everyone else hates the guy

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Jordan will be buried and forgotten as time goes by and the game continues to cha

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen View Post
    sooner or later the game will be so dependent on shooting outside that jordans range will be mocked the same as how we currently mock bob cousy's handles
    It's already happening.

Default Re: Jordan will be buried and forgotten as time goes by and the game continues to cha

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    It's already happening.
    No it's not. Jordan was one of the GOAT mid-range shooters and shot 39% from 3 for a 3-Peat. Jokic, SGA & Giannis are doing just fine without shooting volume 3s.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Of course it’s happening. That is indisputable. You can say it shouldn’t, but you can’t say it isn’t. I’ve been saying for a good 15 years people would move Jordan out of the way because people always think the old way was inferior. I was told it wouldn’t happen because we have YouTube now and kids can watch videos. It’s a never ending cycle. We are less than 10 years from the same thing happening to LeBron. No generation ever thinks their dad‘s favorite player was as good as he says they were.

eventually, we get somewhere near the area of what is possible for humans to do and the athletes stop getting much better, but they are trained to do different things. You have the same genetic potential but different training and skill sets. I think we reached that point sometime ago but fans are going to keep saying the game is way better and way more athletic now for probably 50 more years.

in 20 years, kids might be on here who were born five years ago, saying Ja Morant, Giannis, and Zion were great athletes, but there were only a couple more of them. If you think video showing otherwise will prevent it, you’re just turning a blind eye to how much footage there is of great athletes before now who get ignored.

It is not preventable. The kids will always be ignorant of even the recent past but they won’t stop telling you they know what they’re talking about. Even adults do it now. People on here born in 1992 tell me about players they never watched in 1994 all the time.

Thats just the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Of course it’s happening. That is indisputable. You can say it shouldn’t, but you can’t say it isn’t. I’ve been saying for a good 15 years people would move Jordan out of the way because people always think the old way was inferior. I was told it wouldn’t happen because we have YouTube now and kids can watch videos. It’s a never ending cycle. We are less than 10 years from the same thing happening to LeBron. No generation ever thinks their dad‘s favorite player was as good as he says they were.

eventually, we get somewhere near the area of what is possible for humans to do and the athletes stop getting much better, but they are trained to do different things. You have the same genetic potential but different training and skill sets. I think we reached that point sometime ago but fans are going to keep saying the game is way better and way more athletic now for probably 50 more years.

in 20 years, kids might be on here who were born five years ago, saying Ja Morant, Giannis, and Zion were great athletes, but there were only a couple more of them. If you think video showing otherwise will prevent it, you’re just turning a blind eye to how much footage there is of great athletes before now who get ignored.

It is not preventable. The kids will always be ignorant of even the recent past but they won’t stop telling you they know what they’re talking about. Even adults do it now. People on here born in 1992 tell me about players they never watched in 1994 all the time.

Thats just the world.
    Reminds me of the conversation I had last night with my stepson's wife( they're mid 20s) talking about older movies and shows. Star Trek came up as something she enjoys and my mind flashed to the original series, next generation and Deep Space nine. She said she couldn't get into any of that stuff but thinks Star Trek Discovery is the best thing ever. Also talked about how much social media impacts younger generations compared to decades ago. She tells me she learns alot of stuff from Tik-tok, which is very evident about 10 seconds after she starts talking.

Pretty much tuned out from there. I've reached old man shouting at the clouds status.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Reminds me of the conversation I had last night with my stepson's wife( they're mid 20s) talking about older movies and shows. Star Trek came up as something she enjoys and my mind flashed to the original series, next generation and Deep Space nine. She said she couldn't get into any of that stuff but thinks Star Trek Discovery is the best thing ever. Also talked about how much social media impacts younger generations compared to decades ago. She tells me she learns alot of stuff from Tik-tok, which is very evident about 10 seconds after she starts talking.

Pretty much tuned out from there. I've reached old man shouting at the clouds status.
    When I rewatch 30 year-old movies I once liked I often feel boredom. It seems very slow and many times the plot looks thin. It's interesting because I felt it to be perfectly okay back in the day and if anything, I should've been more impatient when I was 20. And sure, in many aspects of life I have more patience now but watching a story unfold is not one of them. If a new movie or TV show is being created with pace and plot that was common 30 years ago, it is garbage almost all the time.

As for basketball, I think the new generation is looking for more drama and quicker stories. Why? Because basketball is competing for time with other forms of entertainment. And as the world sped up the game has to follow suit for it to not become slow and boring for the masses. It is more and more about highlights and not games. Almost never about a story that is unfolding for years. Interestingly, when watching basketball I'm more interested in the story of a game, the story of a championship and the story of player and/or team rising than the actual plays. But it seems to me to be the exception because in other aspects of life I find it hard to follow very slow stories. I guess the world has changed me a lot the last 20 years and for some, as of yet unknown reason it is less so when it comes to me watching sports.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    When I rewatch 30 year-old movies I once liked I often feel boredom. It seems very slow and many times the plot looks thin. It's interesting because I felt it to be perfectly okay back in the day and if anything, I should've been more impatient when I was 20. And sure, in many aspects of life I have more patience now but watching a story unfold is not one of them. If a new movie or TV show is being created with pace and plot that was common 30 years ago, it is garbage almost all the time.

As for basketball, I think the new generation is looking for more drama and quicker stories. Why? Because basketball is competing for time with other forms of entertainment. And as the world sped up the game has to follow suit for it to not become slow and boring for the masses. It is more and more about highlights and not games. Almost never about a story that is unfolding for years. Interestingly, when watching basketball I'm more interested in the story of a game, the story of a championship and the story of player and/or team rising than the actual plays. But it seems to me to be the exception because in other aspects of life I find it hard to follow very slow stories. I guess the world has changed me a lot the last 20 years and for some, as of yet unknown reason it is less so when it comes to me watching sports.
    Oh that's not to say earlier I think everything was better back then, I'm not that naive. I watch some older cartoons like He-man and Thundercats that I came up on and cringe at the dialogue and wafer-thin plots, same for some older movies but I do think the very creme de la creme holds up, but you could say that about stuff from every generation.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettooth View Post
    MJ's legacy will be fine. But LeBron will eventually be remembered the same way as Jerry West; the guy that kept losing.
    Five years later and it's still true.