Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Who would you ask to take a back seat on your team: Shaq at 28 or MJ at 28?

Discuss .

Assume you are a GM that have to tell them their roles on the team.

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Default Re: Who would you ask to take a back seat on your team: Shaq at 28 or MJ at 28?

1a) MJ

1b) Shaq

Default Re: Who would you ask to take a back seat on your team: Shaq at 28 or MJ at 28?

Depends on the defense.

Decent playground baller

1. MJ
    2.Shaq

Sorry Shaq

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Let's assume it is zone defense.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Shaq would be first option until they are in the penalty

Banned

jordan takes a back seat to

- prime wilt

- prime shaq

- prime kareem

its stupid to argue against it. no shame in it cause a big man is technically a more efficient option if they can average over 30ppg without disrupting the offense.

a guy like jordan can be a better player. but he isnt the more suitable option.

NBA rookie of the year

I'd give Shaq more touches in the first half, but I'd let Jordan have more touches in the 3rd and especially the 4th quarter.

I'd tell Jordan to get on Shaq's ass to be a better defender. I'd challenge him to expend more energy on the defensive end.

I think MJ would still get 30 ppg and Shaq would be happy with 27/13-14.

That's still only 57 points of a possible 98-100. Plenty of shots to go around.

You are talking about arguably the most efficient perimeter scorer the NBA has seen and the most efficient inside scoring force the NBA has ever seen.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-14-2014 at 10:36 PM.

I'd have Shaq as the first option even though Jordan was the better player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    I'd give Shaq more touches in the first half, but I'd let Jordan have more touches in the 3rd and especially the 4th quarter.

I'd tell Jordan to get on Shaq's ass to be a better defender.

I think MJ would still get 30 ppg and Shaq would be happy with 27/13-14.
    this is how the lakers won titles. establish the inside game. but give it to kobe down the stretch when teams start fouling

its why kobe was able to average more FGA's while shaq was getting all the looks early on

but shaq would claim finals mvps over jordan same as he did with kobe. just not enough 4th quarters to go around to make kobe or jordan FMVP unfortunately

NBA rookie of the year

The main thing with Shaq is you just need to know how to deal with his personality.

Kobe I don't think ever really got that, you had to "give" Shaq his leeway or at least let him feel like he was the big dog.

I think Jordan would handle it a little bit better, yes he could hound teammates, but I also got the sense he gave guys like Rodman a long leash too.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-14-2014 at 10:42 PM.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Neither would, team implodes

NBA rookie of the year

I don't think you "ask" anyone to take a back seat, it settles itself on the court, and it kinda settles itself naturally -- Shaq is a very poor free throw shooter and Jordan is probably the GOAT clutch player ... ergo it's pretty much a given who gets the ball in 4th quarter crunch situations.

Other than that, just give both 20-24 FG attempts a game.

The person who'd suffer really would be the third option, but in a scenario like this you could get away with having like a Robert Horry.

C - Shaq
    PF - Rodman
    SF - Horry
    SG - Jordan
    PG - Harper/Kerr

6th man: Kukoc

Would be perfect. Just surround those two guys with other players that don't necessarily need to get a lot of shots.

Jordan + Kobe is more problematic than Jordan + Shaq IMO.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-14-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Shaq...it'd be different if it was like 20-23 year old MJ.

MJ at his peak, no question he's the #1.

NBA rookie of the year

Kobe took more shots than Shaq in 2001 and 2002, so even there Shaq did at least show (a gruding) willingness to let someone else shoot more.

I don't think it would be a big issue. They'd dominate.

If anything I think some of Jordan's defensive intensity might just rub off onto Shaq (how scary would that be?).

The main problem with Kobe - Shaq was really their personalities did not fit. Kobe was a reclusive, aloof type of guy, Shaq took offence to that.

Jordan was more open and social, would joke around with O'Neal a lot even at the All-Star games.

I could be wrong but I don't think Kobe hung out with any of the Lakers in the off-season, Jordan would have Pippen and Harper would all have breakfast together and then go train together.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-14-2014 at 11:03 PM.