Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default 60 y/o Wilt Chamberlain highlights went viral yesterday and held modern fans in awe

In case you missed them here on ISH:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JuK2dVky0

Was circulating on Yahoo sports, Deadspin, Reddit etc etc. I've been reading peoples reactions since it went viral. People on forums all over the net were reacting genuinely in awe of these highlights.

It's surprising because not more than 3 years ago the consensus on ISH (and pretty much the rest of the internet) was that he was some unimpressive lumbering stiff

Now casual fans and hoops fans alike - completely taken aback by Wilt's speed and abilities - are suddenly recrowning him the GOAT after watching just these 5 game NCAA highlights? I didn't think it'd be that easy to sway public opinion. Many are likely prisoners of the moment, but it sure is great to know people can recognize how elite his game was despite only being a skinny 19/20 year old in 1950's NCAA mode.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-16-2013 at 10:55 PM.

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

Default Re: 60 y/o Wilt Chamberlain highlights went viral yesterday and held modern fans in awe

only 568 fg %?

Banned

Default Re: 60 y/o Wilt Chamberlain highlights went viral yesterday and held modern fans in awe

Nobody said he was a stiff and not athletic. We just said he was an Era Specific player who only dominates in his specific era due to many factors such as rules and competition.

You cannot expect regular people to have an opinion especially when they don't can't factor the reasons I mentioned above.

The casual fan doesn't even know what an Era-specific player is.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Nobody said he was a stiff and not athletic. We just said he was an Era Specific player who only dominates in his specific era due to many factors such as rules and competition.

You cannot expect regular people to have an opinion especially when they don't can't factor the reasons I mentioned above.

The casual fan doesn't even know what an Era-specific player is.
    Actualy, if you followed the people posting it on twitter who were held in awe yesterday I recall at least one NCAA scout / former coach or assistant coach or w/e posting the video among the masses. IIRC he said something along the lines of all players could learn something from watching him play not just big men. I'm sure he also knew nothing about basketball though right?

**EDIT** oh I get it, I bet he was trying to WARN everyone NOT to play like Wilt the "era specific" player right? Okay makes perfect sense now. Carry on.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-16-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Late 50's and early 60's Wilt footage is actually the least impressive to me. Sure he was posting huge numbers, but his competition was far inferior. Once the NBA became more integrated by the mid/late 60's, you started to see how Wilt really matched up against players/teams with real talent and athleticism.

I'd love to see a non sped up version.

Is this your vid Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Is this your vid Cavs?
    Yes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

**EDIT** oh I get it, I bet he was trying to WARN everyone NOT to play like Wilt the "era specific" player right? Okay makes perfect sense now. Carry on.
    Nobody can play like an Era-specific player because they are not in that era. You can't just tell players to go out there and play like Wilt and dominate. Wilt had skill sets many can learn from but they are not going to translate to success in the modern game.

His game domination was specific to that only era. You cannot tell Noah to go out there and dominate like Wilt and expect the same result in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Sure here you go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JuK2dVky0

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Nobody can play like an Era-specific player because they are not in that era. You can't just tell players to go out there and play like Wilt and dominate. Wilt had skill sets many can learn from but they are not going to translate to success in the modern game.

His game domination was specific to that only era. You cannot tell Noah to go out there and dominate like Wilt and expect the same result in this era.
    Ur so wise

Wow I saw this video in multiple places
    other than this site there was nothing but positive post and comments...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Wow I saw this video in multiple places
    other than this site there was nothing but positive post and comments...
    Me too.

CavsFTW has officially surpassed the former youtube Wilt archivist, Wilt@Kansas, as the authority on Wilt footage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    I wonder if CavaliersFTW put a disclaimer telling casual fans that he sped up the video to make Wilt look good.

He has done it multiple times on ISH where he would fake pictures of Wilt's head or hands top of the backboard.