Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,034
Default 2010/2011

Maybe someone can figure this out to me... or maybe we're all too stupid to figure it out, according to another lovely poster here.

But I digress....

I'm just thinking about something and looking at the Raps salaries. For the 2010/2011 season the Raps have currently committed:

$8.5M to Bargnani
$9M To Calderon
$5M to Evans
$4.7 to Banks
$10 (and change) to Hedo.
~ $3M to Derozan

Total committed for 2010/2011: $40.2 M

NBA statement on the Cap level for 2010/2011: $50.4 M -$53.6 M. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312837)

IF Bosh were to sign in TO at the max deal he wants, he'd command around $18M, that would put the Raps right near or over the cap would it not (barring trades, etc)? Didn't Colangelo say that the Raps would not be a tax team?

Am I missing something here?
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
b4ball
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,052
Default Re: 2010/2011

Bird rights, where Bosh's salary does not count against the cap.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,034
Default Re: 2010/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Bird rights, where Bosh's salary does not count against the cap.

Duh. I AM too stupid! ;)



Thanks!

Last edited by RaininThrees : 07-09-2009 at 05:36 PM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs
 
IamSofaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,517
Default Re: 2010/2011

These salary cap issued make my head hurt...
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
T-Low
College superstar
 
T-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,056
Default Re: 2010/2011

Honestly, a lot of the teams in the league aren't thinkin about these things. They are freeing up money but they need to realize the cap isn't very high...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Tool
Ball til I fall
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rep Tdot til they bury me
Posts: 1,581
Default Re: 2010/2011

Yeah theres just no way a team like the Nets or Knicks could afford to big time free agent signings at max deals.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona
 
T.O.RAPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,056
Default Re: 2010/2011

Heard somewhere the nets could afford to sign 2 max deal players in '10, but going by that cap looks like that aint gonna happen
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,437
Default Re: 2010/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
Yeah theres just no way a team like the Nets or Knicks could afford to big time free agent signings at max deals.

The Knicks consistently spend above the cap and above the luxury tax threshold. They will again if it suits their purpose. Even before Issah's days they were loaded with heavy deals and "no flexability" - they simply just spend more.

The Nets have tended to "historically" operate at the luxury tax threshold i.e. full to cap or just below. Hence they let players like KMart walk to Denver in the past. However, if this building in the Bronx or Brooklyn or whatever is in play who knows.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
bonez26
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: 2010/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Maybe someone can figure this out to me... or maybe we're all too stupid to figure it out, according to another lovely poster here.

But I digress....

I'm just thinking about something and looking at the Raps salaries. For the 2010/2011 season the Raps have currently committed:

$8.5M to Bargnani
$9M To Calderon
$5M to Evans
$4.7 to Banks
$10 (and change) to Hedo.
~ $3M to Derozan

Total committed for 2010/2011: $40.2 M

NBA statement on the Cap level for 2010/2011: $50.4 M -$53.6 M. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312837)

IF Bosh were to sign in TO at the max deal he wants, he'd command around $18M, that would put the Raps right near or over the cap would it not (barring trades, etc)? Didn't Colangelo say that the Raps would not be a tax team?

Am I missing something here?

Yes lots of people do that...even though the cap is 50.4 the tax level isn't til 68mil approximately. We can go over our cap without regard if were resigning our own players. So to answer your question even though that pushes us upto approximately 58 mill in salary we will still our MLE to spend next year. Wow this CBA thing is killer so many twist and turns...just when you think you've got they throw something else at you.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy