Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Straight Hardcore percelloveknicks's Avatar

Default Knicks trade Jr Smith and Shump to cavs

sorry fellas my computer wont copy and paste but i just got alert from bleacher report and probasketballtalk.com

Default Re: Knicks trade Jr Smith and Shump to cavs

im sorry, im glad we got rid of smiths contract, but why do we always get fleeced on every trade

Krust Kingz

No one knows if its a fleece yet until we know what is being traded.

They havent even reported the whole trade yet reserve the opinion until the final report is in.

Gonna be a different team next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    No one knows if its a fleece yet until we know what is being traded.

They havent even reported the whole trade yet reserve the opinion until the final report is in.
    i guess saving 20 million (after shareholders lost millions) was more important than getting the best deal possible

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

I'm no fan or JR Smith by any means, and Iman Shumpert's career seemed to be going in the wrong direction, but a 2019 draft pick is all you could yield? If the reports are true, that's embarrassing. Once again, the Knicks have no negotiation skills. I'm with Bluechox. We got the shitty end of the stick yet again. We got a few trade exceptions. F it. Phil has a clean slate this summer. Ball's in his court. No excuses now.

Krust Kingz

What could you get for useless unwanted players on a losing squad with no potential in your system?

Shump was never good and had a 1 year and a 1/2 of great defense gets hurt never the same again. Never could get his offense together and once his defense went away what was he then?

JR is just no good. His peak was 6th man of the year why would you trade him after that kind of year?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

The problem with the deal is its a cap move. No one has NY on their radar. Phil Jackson is an ego maniac that believes everyone wants to work with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    The problem with the deal is its a cap move. No one has NY on their radar. Phil Jackson is an ego maniac that believes everyone wants to work with him.
    I think you're slightly under-estimating the calling card of money. It's what kept Melo away from the Bulls. I believe this trade was necessary. Cavs wanted Shump - Phil says "Well, you'll have to eat Smith's contract as well".

We'll see how brilliant our VP is next season. All we can do is hope.

DO the trade exceptions last 1 year from when the deal was made?

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    I think you're slightly under-estimating the calling card of money. It's what kept Melo away from the Bulls. I believe this trade was necessary. Cavs wanted Shump - Phil says "Well, you'll have to eat Smith's contract as well".

I agree with KO as well, top free agents arent looking to sign in NY, especially after this awful season.

The Bulls offered nearly 60 mil less, but a vastly better team. They made melo pick one...money or a chance to win. he made his choice.

Now I will say this is the second time of note that the Knicks have had alot of cap space, and obviously they bombed the first go around.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar

The only way money draws anyone to the Knicks is if owners do away with "max deals" and players can get whatever they negotiate.

Anything short of that and the Knicks are only an option if a player's current team isn't interested.

NBA rookie of the year

Well that's a move that could be made.

Not much of a return though.

Terrible trade. 2 of your top 4 players traded for nothing but to save money.

Don't let your hate of JR convince you of anything different.

Take jr out of the discussion. Knicks just traded Dion waiters for a future 2nd. You still love the trade?

Would have been bettr off paying some team to take amare or Calderon. The only other guys you can trade now is Carmelo or bargnani.

Getting completely bent over and helping the 2 teams that will prob play each other in the finals. At least Phil has the Benefit of a really dumb fan base to deal w. You guys prob love this trade. A trade like this will also hurt the teams fa plans. Nobody wants to go to a team that gives away players to save money.

Hope they can find a trade for Carmelo. Don't want to see him play another 4 years for a team that isn't trying to become a winner.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    The only way money draws anyone to the Knicks is if owners do away with "max deals" and players can get whatever they negotiate.

Anything short of that and the Knicks are only an option if a player's current team isn't interested.
    I understand your sentiment but this couldnt be just a basketball move? JR is a terrible player Shump is still young but the thing that made him special he could no longer provide.

To start from scratch again is what is needed. This team didnt have a chance from the beginning. How can you lay blame at Phils feet for everything that happened to this team prior? The house needed to be cleaned out. No sense in keeping players who arent part of the future with no upside.

Obviously the concern is where does this team find talent after the season. Its quite concerning to me as well because you can not build a whole team through FA. Not only that this isnt projected to be a talent laden draft.

Even if this process takes 2 years I rather that than the overspend on crap that straps the team in luxury tax purgatory for years too come without any young developing talent in the cupboard.