Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default US- Official Movie Discussion Thread

Coming out this weekend, "Us", from the Director of "Get Out".

Who's excited?

Default Re: US- Official Movie Thread

i'm sure i'll enjoy this film too, get out was pretty entertaining.

this 2nd film of his will be very telling, bc if it's also good, then we'll know the 1st was not a fluke.

Dis gun be freaky

As of this post, it's at 98% on rotten tomatoes.

Fresh: 124
    Rotten: 3

got friday off, thinking i might catch a matinee

I'll be going to the movies to see this for sure. Maybe tomorrow night.

I never understood rotten tomatoe scores. The higher the better?

Default Re: US- Official Movie Discussion Thread

I give this movie a 9.5/10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because they could have gone more in depth. The underground area needed to be explained better.

Looks freaky as hell, the music in the trailers is perfect. Will watch, hopefully sometime soon before spoilers are meme'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    I'll be going to the movies to see this for sure. Maybe tomorrow night.

I never understood rotten tomatoe scores. The higher the better?
    A score of 95% on rotten tomatoes means that 95% of the critics gave it a "positive review". It doesn't mean it scored 95/100, but it's somewhat similar.

So, yes, the higher the better. You also need to look at how many reviews a movie got. A major release always has 100-200+ but some older/limited release movies may have a high score but its only based on a handful of reviews.

Right now, Us, has 281 positive or "fresh" reviews and only 15 rotten ones for a score of 95%

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    A score of 95% on rotten tomatoes means that 95% of the critics gave it a "positive review". It doesn't mean it scored 95/100, but it's somewhat similar.

So, yes, the higher the better. You also need to look at how many reviews a movie got. A major release always has 100-200+ but some older/limited release movies may have a high score but its only based on a handful of reviews.

Right now, Us, has 281 positive or "fresh" reviews and only 15 rotten ones for a score of 95%
    Thank you. I normally use IMDB for ratings. Which is better?

Also, didn't get to see the movie yesterday, maybe today

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Thank you. I normally use IMDB for ratings. Which is better?

Also, didn't get to see the movie yesterday, maybe today
    Look at both. I also use trakt, which is nice too for keeping track of shows/movies with their own ratings from people.

imdb - reviews+ratings
    trakt - ratings+tracking
    rottentomatoes - media reviews

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

I enjoyed this movie a hell of a lot more than Get Out. Like significantly more. Wasn't a huge fan of Get Out. This one is extremely solid and heavily nuanced.

That being said... the impression that I get is that there are multiple underlying themes to this movie and there isn't just one message. A plethora of real life social discussions, some specific to the U.S.[;)] in a historical sense, some in a modern U.S. sense, and some not related to the U.S. though most of it is... are touched on and explored.

I'm far too stupid to be able to unpack everything within this film with one viewing... as is everyone else that posts here.

If you want to really put your thinking cap on, you're going to enjoy this movie.

If you don't and you just want to check out mentally for a horror movie and get a series of cheap scares, you probably won't enjoy this film.

I want to see this movie multiple times before I go into any specific commentary on the themes, but rest assured you are going to get different opinions from different people depending on who you talk to as to what's really going on in this movie.

The last thing I'll say is... Hollywood regularly struggles to produce original content and this is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

We're super early into the year and who knows what else 2019 brings but I would not at all be surprised if this one wins best picture at the Oscars. Personally, I think if it doesn't win, given the shit that Hollywood has been putting out, it's likely that financial bribery within the academy will be the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    I enjoyed this movie a hell of a lot more than Get Out. Like significantly more. Wasn't a huge fan of Get Out. This one is extremely solid and heavily nuanced.

That being said... the impression that I get is that there are multiple underlying themes to this movie and there isn't just one message. A plethora of real life social discussions, some specific to the U.S.[;)] in a historical sense, some in a modern U.S. sense, and some not related to the U.S. though most of it is... are touched on and explored.

I'm far too stupid to be able to unpack everything within this film with one viewing... as is everyone else that posts here.

If you want to really put your thinking cap on, you're going to enjoy this movie.

If you don't and you just want to check out mentally for a horror movie and get a series of cheap scares, you probably won't enjoy this film.

I want to see this movie multiple times before I go into any specific commentary on the themes, but rest assured you are going to get different opinions from different people depending on who you talk to as to what's really going on in this movie.

The last thing I'll say is... Hollywood regularly struggles to produce original content and this is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

We're super early into the year and who knows what else 2019 brings but I would not at all be surprised if this one wins best picture at the Oscars. Personally, I think if it doesn't win, given the shit that Hollywood has been putting out, it's likely that financial bribery within the academy will be the reason why.

Hoping to see this on Tuesday

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I feel like every black movie gets overrated these days because it's black. I'm not saying this movie isn't any good, but I'm sure there are reviewers overrating it because omg it has a black director and black cast. :O I saw a review for that stupid ass movie that had the first female black director and the review literally said the movie was meh, but that didn't matter because it was breaking boundaries and bullshit like that. Gave it a good review for that. NO, NO. NO. Your fukking job is to objectively tell us if a movie is any good, not fukking virtue signal.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I feel like every black movie gets overrated these days because it's black. I'm not saying this movie isn't any good, but I'm sure there reviewers overrating it because omg it has a black director and black cast. :O
    That's exactly why I didn't particularly like Get Out. Extremely overrated movie.

This one is different. It's very well done.