Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Serious question: how do you guys schedule your day during a job search?

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Opinion of sales jobs based off commissions (uncapped ceiling but of course low pay if you can't sell much)?
    If you can sell, you do it. But there's alot of variables before one can really give you an opinion. What are you selling? Is it D2D? B2B? Telemarketing?

Default Re: Serious question: how do you guys schedule your day during a job search?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Incredibly lucky, but well done.

Searching for work can be extremely frustrating, because sometimes your output, or effort level doesn't end up in the results you want. It purely is luck at times, like in your situation, but mostly a numbers game.

I absolutely dreaded it at one point out of university, with little experience. Can take a while before someone even takes a chance on you despite dual degrees, or even masters in some peoples case.

Not sure what the situation is in the USA, but I imagine $60k is a great salary given the purchasing power would be better in the US. Over here in Australia, you can get a job doing manual labour, no skills, and that gets you $50-$55k. Then you go into a role with your degree, and you're put into a role that pays $40k... $40k in Australia is barely enough to pay rent, pay for transportation, food, and then attempts to save. A single mother on government assistance here makes about $25k for not working for perspective. Makes no sense. From what I saw in the States, it seems you guys actually pay the people who went to college and got the skills at least more than the unskilled labour, even if it is an entry level position. I could be wrong though.

In the US, unskilled labor jobs don't pay 50-55 k per year...not even close. You're lucky if you make over 15 k a year. Probably can hit 20 k if you get to do lots of OT. Now I understand why Hawker moved to Australia

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan

In the US, unskilled labor jobs don't pay 50-55 k per year...not even close. You're lucky if you make over 15 k a year. Probably can hit 20 k if you get to do lots of OT. Now I understand why Hawker moved to Australia
    Yep. They've done a good job keeping unskilled immigration pretty low. Also helps not being next to Central America with a porous border that allows illegal immigrants to come in.

You haven't factored in cost of living at all btw which is much higher in Australia than the US.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    If you can sell, you do it. But there's alot of variables before one can really give you an opinion. What are you selling? Is it D2D? B2B? Telemarketing?
    So it's not tech/software (which I heard can be very lucrative/cool despite long hours). It's a bit old school (I don't want to go into specifics, doesn't require any background in the industry). Pay is low (given my credentials, I've been told I should be aiming for a salary range 30-40% higher in a particular STEM industry, has a much safer floor than sales too)

Update, got two interviews so far at legit places (pay isn't great at either but work experience seems legit), a STEM job and an interesting tech sales marketing gig at a startup consulting firm with a rapidly expanding business (does business relations for Fortune 100 companies in the region).

Pretty happy with the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Depends heavily on the quality of a recruiter tbh. A recruiter that's a fresh college grad wouldn't provide much help. I know someone whose first job was that. Their boss politely told them to probably find a job in industry and then consider coming back. Their inexperience was slowing the company's productivity.

She also told me it was easier for her to find a job with a year of experience. Ended up joining an innovative startup albeit with pretty low pay but a ton of on the job learning.
    Obviously. You select a recruiter with experience, not one that's a fresh college grad.

Got an offer and accepted it yesterday (super interesting job IMO with decent pay - within the range I wanted)! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan

would y'all consider a postman to be unskilled manual labor?

you can gross over $130K in the US with that job at the top pay scale..