Default Need help finding a mattress

Purchased a new bed set recently and it came with a mattress. They couldn’t discount the mattress if we didn’t want it so we took it anyways to see how it was. In the middle, both me and my wife sink.

With that said, it’s uncomfortable. This leads me to my next option, purchasing a new one.

I prefer soft. What brands should I look at and what stores?

My budget is $1000

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Need help finding a mattress

[QUOTE=Draz]Purchased a new bed set recently and it came with a mattress. They couldn

Go to a local place like sleep outfitters and lay on a few, then buy the one you want at overstock.com

Overstock.com has the best deals. Then there's us-mattress.com

I just bought a queen mattress for one of my guest rooms. This mattress for example, the best deal Sleep Outfitters could give me was $1100 delivered with the box spring and overstock.com had it to me delivered for $650

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...s-Set/20827977

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    Go to a local place like sleep outfitters and lay on a few, then buy the one you want at overstock.com

Overstock.com has the best deals. Then there's us-mattress.com

I just bought a queen mattress for one of my guest rooms. This mattress for example, the best deal Sleep Outfitters could give me was $1100 delivered with the box spring and overstock.com had it to me delivered for $650

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...s-Set/20827977
    I'd be cautious.

You're not sure how good the mattress was stored. Do you know if it's something that was returned or refurbished???

Not only can they be matts that were returned due to an issue but they could also have bed bugs

Not saying they do, but there's a number of variables as to why they might have them to begin with. Suppose they're just discontinued, how long have they had them for? and again, what are the conditions that they had them in their stock room for? what's their return policy? what's their warranty policy?

This matters because if the mattress was standing up in a warehouse somewhere the integrity of the foundation could be damaged. You may not know it or realize it at the moment, but the inside layers could get damaged leaving you with a lumpy mattress which you'll hate.

Buying a cheap matt for a guest room is ok, but not for your main mattress. It's an investment in your health at the end of the day. Something that will hopefully last you 8 years plus (avg matt lasts 8 years, most warranties are for 10). You don't wanna buy some shit that'll give you endless nights of horrible sleep in 2 years.

I've seen people develop chronic back and neck pains because they had a bad mattress and didn't realize it.

[QUOTE=Draz]Purchased a new bed set recently and it came with a mattress. They couldn

O-Qua Tangin Wann

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Quick note... a good pillow can make a huge difference. Yeah, spending an extra $100 per pillow is well worth the money.
    What's a good pillow? I have some bamboo pillow I was given. I think it was expensive, but not sure. It's okay I guess.

The mattress salesman tried to sell me one made of out some purple material.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin
    What's a good pillow? I have some bamboo pillow I was given. I think it was expensive, but not sure. It's okay I guess.

The mattress salesman tried to sell me one made of out some purple material.
    I have a soy based memory foam, quality and comfort vary.

What makes a good pillow? One that will maintain it

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I'd be cautious.

You're not sure how good the mattress was stored. Do you know if it's something that was returned or refurbished???

Not only can they be matts that were returned due to an issue but they could also have bed bugs

Not saying they do, but there's a number of variables as to why they might have them to begin with. Suppose they're just discontinued, how long have they had them for? and again, what are the conditions that they had them in their stock room for? what's their return policy? what's their warranty policy?

This matters because if the mattress was standing up in a warehouse somewhere the integrity of the foundation could be damaged. You may not know it or realize it at the moment, but the inside layers could get damaged leaving you with a lumpy mattress which you'll hate.

Buying a cheap matt for a guest room is ok, but not for your main mattress. It's an investment in your health at the end of the day. Something that will hopefully last you 8 years plus (avg matt lasts 8 years, most warranties are for 10). You don't wanna buy some shit that'll give you endless nights of horrible sleep in 2 years.

I've seen people develop chronic back and neck pains because they had a bad mattress and didn't realize it.
    I don't think one would need to be any more cautious buying something like a mattress at overstock vs buying locally. You obviously should be home when the mattress arrives to inspect it for things like bed bugs or any defects. They call you to set this up. The customer service was amazing.
    When you buy locally, as you know all those mattresses have to be shipped from a warehouse as well. You don't know how that mattress was stored at the local warehouse or if it was returned or refurbished. The mattress wasn't discontinued, I tried the same one out at the store locally before purchasing online. I even gave the store manager a chance to price match, which he came no where near. The markup on mattresses is extreme, that's why I was able to buy it for $400 less than local and overstock STILL made profit. I'm not interested in paying $400 more to fund someone's store front rental costs when buying online at quality vendors has the same exact risks as buying local. I bought my main mattress at us-mattress.com 5 years ago and it's still amazing to this day. Same one that I could buy at local places like The Original Mattress Factory, mattress firm, or some furniture store chain but at a fraction of the cost.
    Last edited by egokiller; 12-27-2018 at 11:09 PM.

I don't think one would need to be any more cautious buying something like a mattress at overstock vs buying locally. You obviously should be home when the mattress arrives to inspect it for things like bed bugs or any defects. They call you to set this up. The customer service was amazing.
    When you buy locally, as you know all those mattresses have to be shipped from a warehouse as well. You don't know how that mattress was stored at the local warehouse or if it was returned or refurbished. The mattress wasn't discontinued, I tried the same one out at the store locally before purchasing online. I even gave the store manager a chance to price match, which he came no where near. The markup on mattresses is extreme, that's why I was able to buy it for $400 less than local and overstock STILL made profit. I'm not interested in paying $400 more to fund someone's store front rental costs when buying online at quality vendors has the same exact risks as buying local. I bought my main mattress at us-mattress.com 5 years ago and it's still amazing to this day. Same one that I could buy at local places like The Original Mattress Factory, mattress firm, or some furniture store chain but at a fraction of the cost.

All true and good points. Although you can ask to get a fresh mattress when you buy it. They

[QUOTE=andgar923]All true and good points. Although you can ask to get a fresh mattress when you buy it. They

Isn't there like a 4 week lead time on something like that? Plus the last thing I want is the isocyanate from the polyurethane foam (assuming we are talking foam mattresses) stinking up my room instead of being in a warehouse giving it time to vent off. That shit is not good for your lungs. Isophorone diisocyanate and tetramethylxylene diisocyanate... nasty stuff.
    Nope

It can be ready in a week in most cases. Also most top mattress makers make mattress that don’t stink as much. You have to give it about a week for the smell to go away if that.

I chopped it down to the Layla or the Casper.
    Ima side sleeper so I feel like Layla would be better.

I'm afraid of the returns. What if I have to drop it to the charity as opposed to them picking it up? It's worth the try.