Lightbulb RE: Existential Truth

I've found that there are two truths for almost any scenario or circumstance or object. Both exactly as correct as the other.

One being what I will call the familiar truth. This is the way we illustrate the world around us on a daily basis. i.e., ''I went to my daughters soccer game and conversed with the parents a little''.

The other truth is the existential truth. A truth that could be rather upsetting depending on your perspective. The soccer game quote above is a truth. You did go to your daughters soccer game and converse with parents, but under this truth, the quote becomes ''I watched my female offspring run in short green vegetation with other smaller humans kicking a synthetic leather ball around whilst exchanging audible mouth noises with larger humans.''

As you can see, neither of these is wrong. That's what makes this distinction interesting.

The familiar truth of a dinner date may be sitting at Red Lobster with your wife or husband eating salad and crab. The other truth being sitting in an enclosed structure consuming plant and animal matter with another human whose genitals you sometimes touch.

Default Re: Existential Truth

I like it

A common trait for stand up comedies is they relate to the world through their eyes with a Existential Truth more than the generalized way the rest of us do

Their world view is more of a dark pointless parody so they have an easier time pointing out the dryness of day to day life. It's kinda why many of them share a shy, awkward, distant childhood

It's not very social friendly because it makes everything seem hopeless and irrelevant.

Noone likes hanging out with the 'Well but technically......" existential truth guy all day

5-time NBA All-Star

Taqwa.

Glad OP took a freshman philosophy class.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    I've found that there are two truths for almost any scenario or circumstance or object. Both exactly as correct as the other.

One being what I will call the familiar truth. This is the way we illustrate the world around us on a daily basis. i.e., ''I went to my daughters soccer game and conversed with the parents a little''.

The other truth is the existential truth. A truth that could be rather upsetting depending on your perspective. The soccer game quote above is a truth. You did go to your daughters soccer game and converse with parents, but under this truth, the quote becomes ''I watched my female offspring run in short green vegetation with other smaller humans kicking a synthetic leather ball around whilst exchanging audible mouth noises with larger humans.''

As you can see, neither of these is wrong. That's what makes this distinction interesting.

The familiar truth of a dinner date may be sitting at Red Lobster with your wife or husband eating salad and crab. The other truth being sitting in an enclosed structure consuming plant and animal matter with another human whose genitals you sometimes touch.

There isn't a distinction...

You described identical perspectives on the situation, you just worded them differently.

That's not really the same as describing contrasting perspectives.

However this does remind me of a related topic I wanted to make a post about and will do so shortly.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

They're not two different truths. They're the same truth while essentially communicating one of them in a quasi nihilistic fashion.

It's the same perspective. All you've done is broken it down to an impersonal almost meaningless level, which you could have gone even further on, even just knowing what we "know" about existence, matter, etc...