Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Are eggs healthy or not?

Depending on which website I visit and on which day, I get conflicting information.

Some sites say they're amazing but that you shouldn't be eaten a dozen+ a day, and some sites say stay away entirely, and some say eat literally as much as you want.

I realize that we still have a long way to go for a full scoped truthful consensus of dietary standing and that different people are probably going to react to different diets differently...

But for the life of me I can't figure out why the flying **** there is so much conflicting information surrounding the consumption of eggs and which of that information is reliable and accurate, generally speaking.

Is it because the egg companies are spending a shitload of money on advertising and the truth is they're unhealthy or what the ****?

I think I'm going to pay multiple dietitians for an answer on this subject.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 01-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Are eggs healthy or not?

well body builders do egg whites cuz excess yolk is bad for them (cholesterol). just do that

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Both?

Egg whites are good for you, but the yolk has alot of cholesterol but also contains vitamins. Atleast, that is what I have read.

Yeah, I was also told growing up how bad cholesterol is for you.

Now I've been more consistently reading that dietary cholesterol is not linked to elevated cholesterol levels in the blood, and that more often than not elevated cholesterol is linked to excessive eating and man made carbs specifically.

I've read a lot of alleged first hand accounts of people eating eggs on the daily and their HDL going up while their LDL goes down, which is supposedly ideal.

But how the **** am I supposed to know what's true? There are professional websites claiming both directions all over the ****ing internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Yeah, I was also told growing up how bad cholesterol is for you.

Now I've been more consistently reading that dietary cholesterol is not linked to elevated cholesterol levels in the blood, and that more often than not elevated cholesterol is linked to excessive eating and man made carbs specifically.

I've read a lot of alleged first hand accounts of people eating eggs on the daily and their HDL going up while their LDL goes down, which is supposedly ideal.

But how the **** am I supposed to know what's true? There are professional websites claiming both directions all over the ****ing internet.
    Any source that tells you all dietary cholesterol is bad is outdated. Period. Like 30-40 years outdated.

Dietary cholesterol is digested and broken down into it's components. The biochemistry is extremely complex and occurs primarily in the liver.

In short, dietary cholesterol is broken down and built back up into useful components aka fatty acids and glycerol.

These are packaged, broken down, packaged, broken down repeatedly throughout the body in various forms like HDL and VLDL. The reason they are transported around is that they provide energy and necessary materials to remain cellular integrity.

The fatty acids are super packaged calorie bombs that are transported to various organs and cashed into ATP, the universal form of energy required by every organ to function. The fatty acids have to be packaged because by themselves they are extremely harmful to the body, especially the blood vessels. This is why the HDL and VLDL are needed. They provide a safe package.

Good cholesterol also helps clean up the bad cholesterol by picking up the bad cholesterol (picture a velcro ball picking up material) that is deposited throughout the bloodstream.

Eggs, fish, nuts, and healthy oils like olive (not canola and vegetable) provide the good cholesterol that are needed to maintain a healthy body.

Bad cholesterol (LDL) is also produced by the liver. This cholesterol is produced to a significantly higher degree in those that don't get enough exercise, those that rely on a fast food/chips/crackers/bad carb diet and smokers.

We don't exactly know why a lack of exercise or smoking triggers the production of bad cholesterol, just that it does. We assume the bad diet just provides more of the bad components needed for LDL formation.

To answer your question, eggs are one of the healthiest ways to take in lean animal protein aside from perhaps salmon or to a lesser degree chicken breasts.

Only concern you'd have with eating too many is they can rack up the calories pretty quickly if you're not careful. That can and is often avoided by bodybuilders by just eating the egg whites. The whites don't pack near the calories that yolks do.

For good information the best sources need to be peer reviewed before published. Research organizations like NCBI, NIH, pubmed.

Link to help: https://www.healthwriterhub.com/medi...earch-engines/

It's wise to use caution with sources like Medscape or Mayoclinic (too often the answer is cancer because they're docs and they have to cover their ass) and only a fool ever cites wikipedia as a serious source because wikipedia is a publicly edited document that can be changed by any troll at any time.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Don't eat anything.

Ever.

It's all poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco 50
    Any source that tells you all dietary cholesterol is bad is outdated. Period. Like 30-40 years outdated.

Dietary cholesterol is digested and broken down into it's components. The biochemistry is extremely complex and occurs primarily in the liver.

In short, dietary cholesterol is broken down and built back up into useful components aka fatty acids and glycerol.

These are packaged, broken down, packaged, broken down repeatedly throughout the body in various forms like HDL and VLDL. The reason they are transported around is that they provide energy and necessary materials to remain cellular integrity.

The fatty acids are super packaged calorie bombs that are transported to various organs and cashed into ATP, the universal form of energy required by every organ to function. The fatty acids have to be packaged because by themselves they are extremely harmful to the body, especially the blood vessels. This is why the HDL and VLDL are needed. They provide a safe package.

Good cholesterol also helps clean up the bad cholesterol by picking up the bad cholesterol (picture a velcro ball picking up material) that is deposited throughout the bloodstream.

Eggs, fish, nuts, and healthy oils like olive (not canola and vegetable) provide the good cholesterol that are needed to maintain a healthy body.

Bad cholesterol (LDL) is also produced by the liver. This cholesterol is produced to a significantly higher degree in those that don't get enough exercise, those that rely on a fast food/chips/crackers/bad carb diet and smokers.

We don't exactly know why a lack of exercise or smoking triggers the production of bad cholesterol, just that it does. We assume the bad diet just provides more of the bad components needed for LDL formation.

To answer your question, eggs are one of the healthiest ways to take in lean animal protein aside from perhaps salmon or to a lesser degree chicken breasts.

Only concern you'd have with eating too many is they can rack up the calories pretty quickly if you're not careful. That can and is often avoided by bodybuilders by just eating the egg whites. The whites don't pack near the calories that yolks do.

For good information the best sources need to be peer reviewed before published. Research organizations like NCBI, NIH, pubmed.

It's wise to use caution with sources like Medscape or Mayoclinic (too often the answer is cancer because they're docs and they have to cover their ass) and only a fool ever cites wikipedia as a serious source because wikipedia is a publicly edited document that can be changed by any troll at any time.
    Wow, this may be one of the very best posts I've ever seen on this website, if it's accurate. Thanks for the info. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Don't eat anything.

Ever.

It's all poison.
    Haha, it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Wow, this may be one of the very best posts I've ever seen on this website, if it's accurate. Thanks for the info. Really.

Haha, it's true.
    No prob. Cholesterol is a very difficult subject to tackle which is probably why much of the information on it is questionable. It kind of requires you to understand some complex biochemical pathways to really get a hold of it.

This page explains most of it, but it's too technical for most. This is not me being up my own ass, some of the stuff is beyond me as well. Just gotta know what is jargon and what is essential.

https://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/cholesterol.php

I forgot to mention, the rules that my original post included don't necessarily apply to those with medical conditions that can't metabolize cholesterol properly. Those people are screwed and kinda just have to avoid every form of cholesterol and are doomed to a shorter lifespan because of it.

You can and should eat few eggs a day. I wouldn't overeat anything in excess though.. 10+ eggs in one day is too much.

Eat anything in moderate amounts. Same goes for anything else you consume in life. For instance, so many people eat meat morning, night and day in excess amounts. Meat has a ton of calories and fat to the point that it adds too much excess fat to your body if overly consumed. One of the reasons why Americans are so fat - too much meat consumption in diet.

Eggs are one the healthiest food you can eat

The thing is that most grocery store eggs are not very fresh. My parents/grandparents still live in a small town, where i can get homegrown ones

Banned

really depends on how many you're eating a day and how you're preparing them

poached/hard boiled/raw is the only healthy way

2-3 tops with the yoke... as many as you want with just the whites

Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by Loco 50

Good college starter

Dietary cholesterol (cholesterol from food sources) is a negligible if not a non-issue for most of the population that doesn't suffer from hypercholesterolemia (mainly those with a genetic predisposition). When talking about bad cholesterol levels it is usually in reference to serum cholesterol levels (cholesterol in the blood). Those idiotic doctors who perpetuated the myth of eggs being bad should be thrown out of the profession. People from previous generations knew eggs are a terrific food, one of the most complete.

Do what I do, cage-free egg whites brah

Good High School Starter Lord P's Avatar

Very pure source of healthy proteins and fats. Very unhealthy when cooked in saturated fats (butter), and served with a heaping side of bacon.