Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: How would you rank Jordan's and Lebron's Finals Performances?

it's really unfair to lump 96 MJ in w/ 07 and 11 Bron

93 MJ
    91 MJ
    16 Bron
    92 MJ
    15 Bron
    12 Bron
    97 MJ
    13 Bron
    14 Bron
    96 MJ
    11 Bron
    07 Bron

91-98 MJ

Any Finals Bron

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    91-98 MJ

Any Finals Bron
    LeBron's Finals this year were easily better than Jordan's '96-'98 Finals, and on par with his '91-'93 Finals

91-98 MJ

Any Finals Bron
    2016 warriors > Any team jordan faced

NBA Superstar

91-98 MJ

Any Finals Bron
    Stop it douche

16 Bron is the best for me.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    16 Bron is the best for me.
    You've got a valid argument, no doubt. To come back against a 73-9 team down 3-1 in the Finals is unprecedented. And obviously he had great overall stats.

Still -- the reason I have it behind a couple of MJ's Finals is:

(1) Golden State really wasn't as good a team as the regular season suggested. Complete loss of focus in the playoffs, up and down performances, lack of killer instinct in the Finals, and Curry played well below his standards, throughout the playoffs and most of all in the Finals. Most stars numbers take a hit, understandably, in the playoffs, but the greatest can often elevate their numbers overall. Curry's inability to do that this year (and also in last season's playoffs) is indicative to me that he's not quite as great as advertised. Streaky, as is Klay, which is not really the mark of an all-time great. And when the best players aren't as good as advertised, the team will not be as good as predicted.

(2) As great as Lebron played overall, I cautiously note that he played fairly mediocre (by his standards) in the three losses. That's NOT to take away from his incredible come from behind greatness in games 5-7, but a better team would have closed the Cavs out with a 3-1 lead. As great as Lebron played in games 5-7, if Curry and Klay could have just played AVERAGE in games 5 - 7, the Cavs would have lost. The Warriors' overall poor play in the last three games is probably a bigger factor as to the Cavs championship than even Lebron's heroics. (And yes, I know the Cavs played great defense overall, but Golden State (Curry especially) choked and missed lots of opens shots they hit all year).

Golden State to me is a bit of an enigma and a case of lost potential. To go 73-9 in the regular season and then 15-9 in the playoffs is wildly inconsistent. Even if they would have beaten the Cavs in 7, I would never rank them as the greatest team. They simply weren't dominant when it really counted. So it's certainly valid to point out that Lebron beat a 73-9 team, but let's not overstate it. OKC had already shown they were highly vulnerable to individual talent, and the Cavs proved the Warriors could choke, lose focus, and blow a lead. I already had alarm bells in my head when Green got himself suspended and Klay spent his time after game 5 mocking Lebron. They literally relaxed and began to strut around and talk trash about one of the best players of all time before they had won. Not a sign of greatness.

Just in terms of level of play and performance:

91-93 MJ
    16 LeBron
    12 LeBron
    97 MJ
    15 LeBron
    13 LeBron
    98 MJ
    96 MJ
    07 LeBron
    11 LeBron

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    93 MJ
    91 MJ
    16 Bron
    92 MJ
    15 Bron
    12 Bron
    97 MJ
    13 Bron
    14 Bron
    96 MJ
    11 Bron
    07 Bron
    No way is 97 MJ under 15 Lebron. Lebron couldn't hit a jumpshot to save his life. Lebron's style accumulates numbers whether he plays well or not. Especially here since Kyrie went down and the Cavs slowed it down and forced Lebron to do everything with no pressure (If he won, great. If he lost, so what? Kyrie was injured.)

Lebron WAS the offense so every possession = some stat.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 07-14-2016 at 11:56 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    You've got a valid argument, no doubt. To come back against a 73-9 team down 3-1 in the Finals is unprecedented. And obviously he had great overall stats.

(1) Golden State really wasn't as good a team as the regular season suggested. Complete loss of focus in the playoffs, up and down performances, lack of killer instinct in the Finals, and Curry played well below his standards, throughout the playoffs and most of all in the Finals. Most stars numbers take a hit, understandably, in the playoffs, but the greatest can often elevate their numbers overall. Curry's inability to do that this year (and also in last season's playoffs) is indicative to me that he's not quite as great as advertised. Streaky, as is Klay, which is not really the mark of an all-time great. And when the best players aren't as good as advertised, the team will not be as good as predicted.

(2) As great as Lebron played overall, I cautiously note that he played fairly mediocre (by his standards) in the three losses. That's NOT to take away from his incredible come from behind greatness in games 5-7, but a better team would have closed the Cavs out with a 3-1 lead. As great as Lebron played in games 5-7, if Curry and Klay could have just played AVERAGE in games 5 - 7, the Cavs would have lost. The Warriors' overall poor play in the last three games is probably a bigger factor as to the Cavs championship than even Lebron's heroics. (And yes, I know the Cavs played great defense overall, but Golden State (Curry especially) choked and missed lots of opens shots they hit all year).

Golden State to me is a bit of an enigma and a case of lost potential. To go 73-9 in the regular season and then 15-9 in the playoffs is wildly inconsistent. Even if they would have beaten the Cavs in 7, I would never rank them as the greatest team. They simply weren't dominant when it really counted. So it's certainly valid to point out that Lebron beat a 73-9 team, but let's not overstate it. OKC had already shown they were highly vulnerable to individual talent, and the Cavs proved the Warriors could choke, lose focus, and blow a lead. I already had alarm bells in my head when Green got himself suspended and Klay spent his time after game 5 mocking Lebron. They literally relaxed and began to strut around and talk trash about one of the best players of all time before they had won. Not a sign of greatness.
    True. GSW was not an all time great team. If they were, they wouldn't have lost to Cleveland or come close to losing to OKC. They were a good team that hid their flaws during the regular season. No all time great team would have lost to the 16 Cavs.

This is why all the old timers were snapping at GSW even while they were rattling off 20 game win streaks. They knew.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWinningFam
    2016 warriors > Any team jordan faced
    The Warriors team that blew through the regular season wasn't playing at nearly that level in playoffs, notably Curry. Take them and put them back in the 90's against the 92/93 Knicks, with Ewing protecting the rim, Oakley and Mason playing intimidator roles, and gritty defenders like Starks, Blackman,Wilkins, and Harper under those rules, and Curry folds up in the fetal position. Considering he failed the test of what passes for 'physical play' in the finals. The Warriors are very much a product of modern rules and the over-infatuation with the 3pointer. There's a reason the 'cranky' old-timers were saying Curry wouldn't be as successful against the more physical style of the late 80's/early-mid 90's. Sure they'd blow most teams off the floor during the regular season with the 3point barrage, but match them against really physical teams or teams with superior individual talent( MJ, Durant/Westbrook, Bron, Kyrie) and see what happens. Cleveland in the final 3 games simply built on what OKC has already exposed in the conference finals.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 07-14-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Good post.

Made that high school varsity squad

This.

2016 LeBron
    1991 Jordan
    1993 Jordan
    2015 LeBron
    1992 Jordan
    2012 LeBron
    1997 Jordan
    2013 LeBron
    1998 Jordan
    1996 Jordan
    2007 LeBron
    2011 LeBron