Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Dexter vs Breaking Bad

Does anyone know of a website where i can stream The Wire?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Dexter are watchable television. After that it becomes complete shit.

I'd say it goes: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5

Every season of Breaking Bad is good-to-great.

3 > 5b > 2 > 1 > 5a > 4

Breaking Bad is in my top 10 shows of all time.

Nothing beats The Sopranos though.
    You think the 4th season is the worst??

It's clearly the best.

The Wire, Sopranos, Sherlock, True Detective, House are my top 5, breaking bad may b 6th, Dexter's knocking on top 10-12

Quote Originally Posted by guy

It's clearly the best.
    Agreed.

Face Off is one the GOAT TV episodes

Quote Originally Posted by guy

It's clearly the best.
    Yes. When I first watched the show I thought it was the second best, but it isn't nearly as good when you rewatch it.

The season is way too plot reliant and lacks the character depth of the other seasons. When you know what happens, it loses almost all of its weight imo (unlike season 3).

That's why BB isn't in the same universe as The Sopranos. It's an all time great show, but it still relies on the same old tricks as the next show (an explosive plot).

Celtics 2016 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Agreed.

Face Off is one the GOAT TV episodes

Dexter > Breaking Bad for me.

I just love Dexter's character and even though some of the later seasons are lacking I still enjoyed watching them.

Season's 1, 2 and 4 are my favorite.

Season 5 and 7 I really enjoyed, especially the main villain in 7, he was great.

Season 3, 6 and 8 are okay. I've watched all the season's at least twice except season 8. I started to re-watch that one and lost interest after 1 1/2 episodes.

Breaking Bad was a more complete package, but it's only five seasons.

MCH for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    season 5 was wack. dont disagree there

but its still the best show ever made IMO
    It's pretty good , but no way goat.

No character development. No evolution. Pretty much Same plot, Different variables.

Yes. When I first watched the show I thought it was the second best, but it isn't nearly as good when you rewatch it.

The season is way too plot reliant and lacks the character depth of the other seasons. When you know what happens, it loses almost all of its weight imo (unlike season 3).

That's why BB isn't in the same universe as The Sopranos. It's an all time great show, but it still relies on the same old tricks as the next show (an explosive plot).
    Eh I think the character development in season 4 was just fine, I think it's just that the plot was so brilliantly written that you get entranced by the story and lose sight of a lot of the deeper components. Besides I think they built such a strong foundation with most of the characters in the 3 seasons prior that all they needed was that one intriguing character to life things up beyond Walt/Jesse, and they had that in Gus. Honestly Gus' character alone was enough, even without the brilliant story.

When I'm judging shows what matters to me is the pure quality of it, regardless of how it's constructed and how it gets there. Shows differ with this all the time, but with shows like BB and other non-comedies I tend not to care as much about re-watch value and how it ages. I don't usually re-watch those types of shows soon after I'm done anyways, I just recently re-watched the first season of Lost, and it's been like 10 years.

To be fair, Lila almost single-handedly brings the season down. I get the message behind her character, but she's so damn annoying. Thankfully Doakes is such a brilliant character, and Erik King is such a brilliant actor.

Alright, alright. I'd give it top 5. Only shows I can definitely say I feel are better are The Sopranos, The Wire and True Detective (even though it's just 8 episodes). I'd also take Arrested Development over it but it's a comedy, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. I rewatched it last year and I liked it more than the first time. That's rare. I rewatched Breaking Bad too and it wasn't nearly as good.

The Sopranos works so well because unlike almost every other show, it's a true character study. Once you know how the plot of BB develops, it loses a lot of its weight and rewatchability. Not so much with The Sopranos. The writing, cinematography and music choice is second to none, but the performances of Gandolfini and Edie Falco are unbelievable. Seriously some of the best performance that's ever been recorded.

Fck, I think I might have to rewatch it again.
    Heating me up nicely for the Sopranos

But S4 for BrBa definitely wasn't the worst lol

and neither is Dexter > BrBa, that makes no sense, but I love C. Hall also.

Breaking Bad's 3-5 is so hard to rank...

Try BrBa's GOAT episodes though:

Pilot (Yes, first episode got me hooked, awesome moment), Ozymandias, Half Measures, Crawl Space (mother****aaa), Face Off (literally doe), One Minute (dat ending), Salud, Granitate State, Felina..

Man, forgot alot too
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 01-23-2015 at 03:44 AM.