Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: anyone else annoyed with rondo and his assist whoring?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    No you aren't, as has been established plenty of times. Must be the third thread you've made on this.

It's annoying when he passes up an open shot for a more contested one, but that doesn't happen often. When it's a 2 on 0 break (like the Bass dunk last night) there's no problem with it really...
    I haven't seen much of the Celtics this season but I know that in the past, Rondo would sometimes turn down open shots, layups even, to give the pass/assist. It might be stat-whoring, but could also be instinct, as he has great court vision and is one of the best passers in the league. Could be bad anticipation also, as he might expect to draw defense on a drive, while the defense is anticipating the pass.

Rondo makes smart decision usually and I'm not "annoyed" by his decision making at all. What does annoy me is that he is sometimes given assists while they are clearly not assist (like in that 22 assist game), but Rondo is not to blame for that at all.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toizumi
    I haven't seen much of the Celtics this season but I know that in the past, Rondo would sometimes turn down open shots, layups even, to give the pass/assist. It might be stat-whoring, but could also be instinct, as he has great court vision and is one of the best passers in the league. Could be bad anticipation also, as he might expect to draw defense on a drive, while the defense is anticipating the pass.

Rondo makes smart decision usually and I'm not "annoyed" by his decision making at all. What does annoy me is that he is sometimes given assists while they are clearly not assist (like in that 22 assist game), but Rondo is not to blame for that at all.
    There is the odd occasion where Rondo will have committed himself to passing when he might be driving down a wide open lane, and that's annoying. But that's just his pass-first mentality, and he showed last night he can turn the scoring on when he needs to (18 of 22 points second half).

Decent playground baller TimmyDuncan's Avatar

Yesterday vs the spurs was the first game I watched from him this season and it's more than obvious

Early in the game he was leading a fastbreak and was alone in the paint and just had to make an uncontested layup
    He choose to make a pass backward to another Celtic player that was trailing at the FT line and had a Spurs defender on him.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    anyone else annoyed with Kobe for score whoring? no?

PGs can't assist whore but SGs can score whore? what next? you telling me big men should not whore them rebounds.

oh yah. i forgot. K-Love is a rebound whore.
    What hes saying is the way rondo goes about getting assists is similar to the way big men miss layups on purpose so they can tip it back and get the point plus a extra rebound.

Rondo goes for assists similar to a scorer shooting even though hes double teamed and acts like he doesnt see the open man.

Rondo goes for assists the way a player goes for a triple double at the end of a game even though their team is up by 20 and there is less than 24 seconds left in the game

In other words Rondo is an assist whore and will purposely break the flow of the game to get more assists and clearly its not about getting other people involved. I noticed this about 2 seasons ago and thought it wasnt a classy way of playing ball.

Rondo goes about getting assists the way reggie evans goes about flopping. That is all

rondo goes for an assist in a blowout loss still in the 4th quarter trying to rack up 10...dedication

I don't think this is suprising. I always said Rondo was similar to J-Kidd, and I feel this is the way J-Kidd would have wanted to play the game, if he had the talent around him to do so. However, he didn't which is why he was forced to score also. I feel Kidd would have done the same thing, but even better, if he had players like Kg in Nj.
    Last edited by Yung D-Will; 11-22-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Trade Rondo for Russell Westbrook. Celtics needs a go to guy right now.

Banned

It's the same as Kevin Love missing an easy shot on purpose just so he could get an offensive rebound and statpad his numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    anyone else annoyed with Kobe for score whoring? no?

PGs can't assist whore but SGs can score whore? what next? you telling me big men should not whore them rebounds.

oh yah. i forgot. K-Love is a rebound whore.
    Brook Lopez-Goat Center

He can't shoot. What you want him to do? He can barely hit free throws at that, what if he goes for the layup and gets fouled?

Only if he is passing up scoring opportunities for himself to look for assists instead like not trying to lay one in on a fast break to wait for a guy to get set up for a three, which he has actually done before.

It's obvious assists are his primary concern, like points were for Kobe up until this years showing so far.

If he becomes more concerned with how many assists he has than if his team's offense is efficient then it's a problem.

assist-whoring.... ironic

Assist whoring? That's an oxymoron.

A PG getting assists. SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    A point guard trying to distribute and move the ball, strange.

we know he's a PG but the fact that he passes up easy scoring opportunities just to get a damn assist is disgusting. I've seen him do it one too many times. Seriously what is the deal with that? really dislike Rondo.