Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Brooklyn Nets Edition

Hey there, ISH fans...did you know you can STILL answer the questions to previous teams ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS? Well, it's True!!!! Just go to the provided links in the Original Post and answer away. It's Fun and it's Free!

Insidehoops....More Threads, More Fun!!

1. Nets trade for KG, Pierce, and Terry. Brilliant trade or Skeptical?

Skeptical. New Jersey rolls the dice on three guys who are way past their primes and on the verge of retiring, sacrificing four first rounders in doing so. While I won't say it's a bad trade, it isn't brilliant, either. It has the chance of backfiring terribly, much like the Knicks when they traded their future picks because they were in "win now" mode.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?

Deron Williams has to be the man. He has to show that he is worthy of his superstar label and deserving of the max contract he received, as well as the hype that has surrounded him the last few years. People forget that Wiliams was in a debate with Chris Paul a few years ago for the title of best PG in the league - Williams needs to remind those people why that debate ever existed.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Jason Kidd was a smart hire as Head Coach.

False. While I love Jason Kidd as a player and believe that he has a tremendous basketball IQ, I feel as if he would have benefitted from a few years as an assistant coach before becoming the head coach, and that the Nets would have been better served with an experienced guy at the helm. While I feel Kidd has the long term potential at being one of the great coaches, I don't know if he will be able to do so this year or even next year, and the Nets have a very small window for winning a title.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?

Chemistry. While defense will be an issue and health will be a concern simply due to their ages and injury history, I believe chemistry will be the biggest challenge. Defense will be solid as long as KG is healthy and Deron / JJ do their part, and health won't be a large issue because of the likelihood that the Nets do what the Spurs have been doing with Manu and Duncan these last few years - resting KG / Pierce in the regular season and making sure that they don't break down.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.

Wait and see. While the Nets should be a fun team to watch and a story to follow for the season, there are three teams in the East who, as of right now without watching the Nets play, are better than them. The Bulls, Pacers and Heat are three proven teams that will make it difficult for Brooklyn to reach the ECF, though we can not count them out before even seeing them play again.

Oh, and great thread idea Bagel. I had a lot of fun answering these.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Peteballa

Skeptical. New Jersey rolls the dice on three guys who are way past their primes and on the verge of retiring, sacrificing four first rounders in doing so. While I won't say it's a bad trade, it isn't brilliant, either. It has the chance of backfiring terribly, much like the Knicks when they traded their future picks because they were in "win now" mode.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?

Deron Williams has to be the man. He has to show that he is worthy of his superstar label and deserving of the max contract he received, as well as the hype that has surrounded him the last few years. People forget that Wiliams was in a debate with Chris Paul a few years ago for the title of best PG in the league - Williams needs to remind those people why that debate ever existed.

False. While I love Jason Kidd as a player and believe that he has a tremendous basketball IQ, I feel as if he would have benefitted from a few years as an assistant coach before becoming the head coach, and that the Nets would have been better served with an experienced guy at the helm. While I feel Kidd has the long term potential at being one of the great coaches, I don't know if he will be able to do so this year or even next year, and the Nets have a very small window for winning a title.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?

Chemistry. While defense will be an issue and health will be a concern simply due to their ages and injury history, I believe chemistry will be the biggest challenge. Defense will be solid as long as KG is healthy and Deron / JJ do their part, and health won't be a large issue because of the likelihood that the Nets do what the Spurs have been doing with Manu and Duncan these last few years - resting KG / Pierce in the regular season and making sure that they don't break down.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.

Wait and see. While the Nets should be a fun team to watch and a story to follow for the season, there are three teams in the East who, as of right now without watching the Nets play, are better than them. The Bulls, Pacers and Heat are three proven teams that will make it difficult for Brooklyn to reach the ECF, though we can not count them out before even seeing them play again.

Oh, and great thread idea Bagel. I had a lot of fun answering these.
    You're not the only one to bring up this point. I see the logic behind saying the Nets "gave up a lot", but my thinking is just... "you play to win the game". The Nets went all-in with a logical trade/attempt. I would have more reservations if they had gone all-in on less proven players. But taking all factors into account... New(ish) city, apparent (though I disagree) decline of the Heat, Westbrook, Kobe and Rose coming back from ailments, Duncan getting older, Indiana waiting on George (though maybe no need to "wait" anymore)... this was arguably the best season to attempt such a ridiculously awesome idea.

I wish my team would be this bold and direct in their attempts to win a title, rather than be complacent. Assuming the Nets were my team, and even if they don't win a title with this gamble, 5 years from now I'd still be proud of their effort and I'd have that much more faith that management will NOT settle for mediocrity, and will go down swinging. That's a team worth rooting for. This trade, even if it doesn't win them the title, puts the Brooklyn Nets strongly in the forefront of the NBA, and labels them, and their ownership, as a force to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    You're not the only one to bring up this point. I see the logic behind saying the Nets "gave up a lot", but my thinking is just... "you play to win the game". The Nets went all-in with a logical trade/attempt. I would have more reservations if they had gone all-in on less proven players.
    Can you imagine the backlash if the Knicks did the same exact trade...giving up 4 first rounders for 3 guys over 36 years of age? My god, the media would be RELENTLESS....same old Knicks.....Isiah never left....joke of the league...yada yada....

Nets do it and they are praised. I mean, it could work, maybe the CeltNets experiment pays off....it's just funny how the media works sometimes.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Can you imagine the backlash if the Knicks did the same exact trade...giving up 4 first rounders for 3 guys over 36 years of age? My god, the media would be RELENTLESS....same old Knicks.....Isiah never left....joke of the league...yada yada....

Nets do it and they are praised. I mean, it could work, maybe the CeltNets experiment pays off....it's just funny how the media works sometimes.
    Only factor you overlooked is the Knicks are already.. THE KNICKS.

The Nets are an afterthought in their "own" city. They need to tell the NBA world that they're for real, they're playing to win, yada yada yada. The Knicks do not need to do that.

Brilliant if KG is healthy and continues to defy age. The other guys aren't going to give you all that much at this point, though it'd be interesting to see Pierce playing like VC primarily as a spot-up shooter.

Lopez. If he can continue to improve, the Nets will have an incredible two-headed monster in their bigs.

False, PR move. Make no mistake though, Lawrence Frank will be running the team (at the very least until Kidd gets his feet wet).

Health. This is a team of veterans without ego problems (DWill aside, potentially). If KG's healthy the defense will be fine (again, unless he completely falls off).

False. Two of Miami, Chicago, Indiana will make the ECF. I don't see the Nets holding up health-wise, and even then it's close.

Skeptical. KG was a great pick up but Pierce will likely physically crumble in the new system. Jason Terry was awful last year too.

Deron Willians. If he can't beat the Bulls D-League team then what the hell is his purpose? He needs to prove himself

Smart hire. Jason Kidd knows everything there is to know about coaching basketball. Many other point guards have become head coaches. He will make a couple rookie mistakes but this was a great long term pick up I think.

If any 3 of these elements are off the Nets will suck. One of them is bound to be off.

False. They aren't better than the Pacers, Bulls, or Heat

Brilliant. Proky wanted a ring in 5 years and now he has his shot. Our future might take a hit but it'll all be worth it if we win that chip.

I think it'll be Deron Williams. The offense runs through him and if he can average 10 assist a game and maintain a good flow to our offense, we'll be pretty hard to stop.

False. It was a very risky hire. I love Jason Kidd, he's probably my favorite PG of all time but he doesn't have the coaching experience yet. But if anyone come right out of the gate and coach its him. So time will tell.

Definitely health. KG and PP have been pretty healthy the last few seasons and they've proven they can still play. Hopefully we don't get the injury bug this season. Brook's foot is also suspect but he should be ready to go for training camp.

I think it'll depend on who finishes where in the East. A lot of people are writing the Pacers to be in the ECF again with the Heat but with Rose coming back to the Bulls and the Nets improving it's hard to say who will face the Heat.

Hey if you can get guys like KG and Pierce and Jason Terry you have to go for it. They are all old, but I'm sure they will all play their hearts out this season.

Deron Williams. He is going to have to become a great distributor with all that talent around him. Knowing who to give the ball to and what time is going to be very important.

False. If everybody buys in then it could work, but I could see guys being salty listening to a guy they were playing against just last season.

Health. Basically if Pierce and Garnett can stay healthy then the Nets have a shot at doing something.

This really depends on the seeding. I'm not sure they can beat Indiana or the Heat, so if they can avoid playing one of those teams in the first 2 rounds then sure.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Skeptical. Guys are old and Nets lost a lot of depth in the trade (though they made up for it in FA). It really seemed more like a soccer move to me, given Prok's Russian influence.

Deron Williams. If he can run the offense well and put KG, Pierce, and Lopez in good positions to score, the Nets should be fine. Plus he should be getting some mentoring by JKidd.

False. I don't like the hire. Again, another soccer move by Prok. What has Kidd done to prove he can coach a team? Especially one filled w/ so many vets that probably view him as a peer, rather than a coach.

Health. Though I don't think any of the 3 will be a big challenge.

False. Most likely they'll have to play Chicago, Indy, New York, or Cleveland in the first round. Then Miami, Chicago, or Indy in subsequent rounds. Seems like a tall order for an old team w/ a rookie coach.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Little bit of both, but ultimately I think it's a good trade considering the short term goals of the franchise. Ownership wants a championship, and this move shows that's what they are gunning for.

KG and Pierce are still plenty effective, as is Jason Terry as a shooter off the bench.

Deron Williams. From how cohesive this team is, to clicking with head coach Jason Kidd, it all comes down to the point guard and best player.

False. Forgetting Deron Williams' history with head coaches, I just don't like the mix of a rookie HC with a veteran team. Add to that all the pressure on Kidd to win a championship in his first year.

Whether or not he will be a decent head coach or not remains to be seen. But considering the situation I think it's a bad hire.

Chemistry, with health a close second.

False. Eastern semis, with a loss likely against the Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat, or Indiana Pacers.

Good High School Starter

Brilliant.
    I know that KG, Pierce and Terry are not in their prime anymore, but look what the Nets gave up:
    Gerald Wallace who just had a horrible season, and is owed 30 mill guaranteed money in the next 3 years,
    Humphries' expiring contract,
    Marshon Brooks, who has some talent, but is not a sure bet to stay in the league for long, as his defense is very suspect,
    3 first round picks, probably none of them will be in the lottery.
    (I'm not counting the 4th pick, where Boston has the right to switch, bacause they will have the better pick anyway.)

Williams - I'm not worried about him. he will become more of a passer and less of a scorer. He will distribute, and average 10+ assists. He will be back in the discussions with CP3 for best PG in the league.
    Lopez - If he can stay healthy he will stay one of the best offensive centers in the league, KG's midrange jumper will provide him much more space to operate than he had next to Evans and Humphries. He will also improve defensively next to Garnett.
    Pierce - he is 36. He does not have to bring anything special, he can be the 4th option, he has to play good team defense, and take what the defense gives him. He will have a lot of space to operate. His shooting will be a tremendous improvement over Wallace.
    Garnett - he is 37. 5th option on offense. He needs to bring his leadership, his defense, his passing and his midrange shooting. No matter how much he declines he will be a huge upgrade over Evans and Humphries.
    AK47 - he will get enough playing time backing up both KG and Pierce, he has been super consistent his whole career, he has to bring his defense, passing and bball iq.
    Terry - he can be somewhat of an X factor, since either he will play well, provide extra scoring of the bench, or if he just can not bring it anymore being 36, and very undersized for his position. His role will not be big enough, so the Nets can be just as good if Terry doesn't show up, as Alan Anderson will take over the backup SG spot if necessary, and he was also a 10+ ppg scorer last season on the raptors.

Te X factor is going to be Joe Johnson.
    I think all the other guys will be able to fit in, and assume a role where they can give their all, contribute with all their skills, without becoming selfish and also not disappearing.
    I'm not affraid of Joe becoming selfish, but I'm affraid that with so many other offensive options around him he might develop a tendency to disappear. If he can find his role in this system, the Nets will be very good.

I can not predict. For this current roster full of veterans, a veteran coach might have been a better choice, but Kidd had influence on KG waiving his no trade clause, and all the players love that he is the coach, so it might turn out just fine.

I'm not really worried about chemistry and defense. Healthy can be an issue, but they are a very deep team, so I'm not worried about Garnett, Pierce, Kirilenko missing even 15-20 regular season games each with smaller injuries or even for rest, as long as they are healthy in the playoffs.

I think they will beat the Bulls or the Pacers in a 7 game series, so if the road to the conference finals does not go through the Heat, I really think the Nets will get there.

1. Nets trade for KG, Pierce, and Terry. Brilliant trade or Skeptical? I THINK THAT AS LONG AS THE RUSSIAN BILLIONAIRE DOES NOT MIND GOING OVER THE CAP, IT WAS A GOOD TRADE FOR THEM WITHOUT DOUBT. THEY WANNA WIN NOW.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success? I SUPPOSE BROOK LOPEZ BECAUSE I STILL THINK WE ARE YET TO SEE HIS CEILING.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Jason Kidd was a smart hire as Head Coach. FALSE. NO EXPERIENCE EVER FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD. THE ONLY THING HE REALLY GOT GOING IS THAT HE WAS CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE BETTER COACH EXTENSIONS ON THE FLOOR.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets? I THINK HEALTH. PP AND KG ARE GETTING UP THERE IN AGE. CHEMISTRY COMES INTO PLAY TOO BECAUSE HALF THE LINEUP IS USED TO ONE WAY AND THE OTHER HALF ANOTHER WAY, UNLIKE THE USUAL ONE MAN COMES IN AND LEARNS.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season. I WOULD HOPE SO. SOMETHING WRONG IF THEY DON'T.

I usually hit open layups

Paul Pierce may be 36 but he is still an elite talent in the NBA and will eventually be the deciding factor if the Nets take the title.

Everyone talks its Derons team, I don't buy that as its Paul Pierces if he wants it!

Don't underestimate Paul Pierce and likewise KG as these guys have what Deron, Lopez and Johnson don't and that's a take over the game, killer instinct!

Ohh a reminder, Paul Pierce is not just a shooter!

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

:
    1. Yes it's a good trade. The East got stronger this year. Nets need all the talent they can get if they want to win now.

3. No. He needs to at least be assistant for some time first.

4. Health

5. Yes.