Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Today's era has 'exposed' big men and bumped them down the all-time rankings

New Rankings

1) MJ
    2) Bird
    3) Magic
    4) Kareem
    5) Wilt
    6) Russell
    7) Kobe
    8) Shaq
    9) Duncan
    10) Durant

I think we have to put Durant ahead of Lebron because he outplayed lebron 3 times heads-up in the Finals, and obviously if he 3-peats

I expect bigs to continue tumbling the rankings going forward

Default Re: Today's era has 'exposed' big men and bumped them down the all-time rankings

Or has today's era exposed guards that can't shoot threes?

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Re: Today's era has 'exposed' big men and bumped them down the all-time rankings

Eh -

Russell, Kareem, Wilt, MJ

- GOATS to not just myself but a lot of people - and many people add many more and who's to say they'd be wrong so long as their criteria is clear, and the players they choose match it best

The GOAT list IMO only gets added to.

Doing it numerically just doesn't make sense, never understood people trying organize it as if it's ranked anyways - they all did completely different stuff quantifying it is way too abstract I'd imagine you'll catch yourself arguing with people non stop if you dig into some sort of order based ranking system. I mean, Wilt Russell and Jabbar - or Shaq or Hakeem even if the more recent guys are your flavor. Those guys don't "fall". They are stuck in way up high. I stopped bothering with trying to number people years ago.

Really, Durant top 10 now The fck did he do to surpass Hakeem?

NBA Superstar

99% sure you made this thread to put Durant over Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    99% sure you made this thread to put Durant over Lebron.
    I didn't even catch that

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Or has today's era exposed guards that can't shoot threes?
    No, but once the league started driving-and-kicking for 3 pointers instead of 2-pointers, drive-and-kick became a more efficient play than post ups/midrange, and took over as the format going forward

So the 3-point line is an artificial factor that caused the league to move away from a certain style of play into today's spaced-out, free-for-all

But the league is starting to think the pursuit of threes above all else is ruining basketball and reducing it to gimmicky 3-point shooting contest with zero D:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WeH-bzt8ZAw

The 6:55 mark summarizes it

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    I didn't even catch that
    The premise of it doesn't even make sense.

Why would GOAT bigs move down because of this spaced out 3pt shooting era. Especially when its not in favor of people...from this era.

3braincells strikes again.

3ball off topic - saw gifs of you ballin

Recognizable talent and skill in the few clips - you played D1? Whether I agree or disagree with your opinions I do respect people who see the game from a position of having played and refined their own game I think that background helps to recognize what other players do - you should post a vid at some point

The premise of it doesn't even make sense.

Why would GOAT bigs move down because of this spaced out 3pt shooting era. Especially when its not in favor of people...from this era.
    Today's perimeter-based offenses show that the Kareem's and Hakeem's of the world are even less necessary to win than MJ had previously shown them to be.
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.

3Ball, what was you 3P% in college?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Today's perimeter-based offenses show that the Kareem's and Hakeem's of the world are even less necessary to win than MJ had previously shown them to be
    Still doesn't make sense. If there are zero dominant bigs then you don't need bigs to win. This is a watered down era, yes?

50 years from now if every player is 6'9+ and hulking and no one shoots deep shots anymore would that devalue great shooters like Steph in their own era, since they were necessary then?

Still doesn't make sense. If there are zero dominant bigs then you don't need bigs to win. This is a watered down era, yes?

50 years from now if every player is 6'9+ and hulking and no one shoots deep shots anymore would that devalue great shooters like Steph in their own era, since they were necessary then?
    Right, that's my point - today's perimeter era shows more than ever that you don't need those dominant bigs to win - i.e. Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Duncan, etc

And now when we look back, it's clear these guys like shaq/kareem, etc needed more help than Kobe/MJ and all-time perimeter players in general.. this is an obvious trend looking back - dominant bigs need more help, and the brand of ball they yield is less flexible

If Durant wins this year, he's confirmed as a top tier, all-time perimeter player, and therefore could be ranked with the 2nd tier bigs (duncan, shaq), still below the top tier bigs (KAJ, Russell, wilt)..

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    3Ball, what was you 3P% in college?
    Below 30% copying his idol (without the shortened 3PT line)