Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Was it really MJ that "ruined" the NBA (it was Allen Iverson)?

I really think the hidden factor isn't Jordan, but the exploitation of the illegal defense rule that those Bull teams in particular exploited. That rule is really what freed up that wing penetration style to dominate the league. It was in place in the 80s, but it wasn't called the way it started getting called in the 90s.

And obviously expansion was a huge part of it. When they added 50 guys who weren't in the league a year before, rosters thinned out, and it made more sense to run offenses from the side, when there was just a much bigger gap between your top three players, and the rest of your roster. Exploit the rule that keeps defenders on the weakside so the thinned out roster isn't as exposed.

It's totally changed since the zone rules were loosened. It just makes so much more sense to go at teams from the top now. And hence the ball handling ability has gotten it's value pushed through the roof, and we're seeing all these PGs and shooters.

[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]I

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

All of them wanted to be like Jordan. Even A.I. Jordan was his idol and favorite player.

Vince Carter, T-Mac, A.I, Kobe, even guys like Jerry Stackhouse, Michael Finley I think all got compared to MJ. It doesn't mean they had MJ style with the exception of Kobe.

They all wanted the championships, but they weren't as efficient as MJ and didn't have the teamplay flow.

Even later with LeBron James, Wade, Durant, and Steph and etc. They all wanted to be like Mike in a sense. But they all had different styles. LeBron is more like Magic, but his favorite player was MJ. Wade loved AI style and kind'a adapted his game, but his favorite player was MJ too.

AI really did influence the game tho. Mostly on the style and attitude almost. His handling and the crossovers. I don't think his style "ruined" the nba really. Ppl were complaining about the lack of good team or team ball in the early 00s, the slow pace, the defense, and desperately wanted another MJ even though Shaq and Kobe were a beast.

Kobe took what MJ had and added his own little style. This influence some players too. Like Kawhi and Tatum tried to emulate his style, which in turn is emulating MJ a bit.

Steph is different tier. I dunno if anyone could be as good as him for a while at doing what he does.

Today players have different styles that could do influence a new generation. But the MJ cloud may still hang over the head since he is still like the bar of success. It got kind'a chip down a bit due to LeBron, but it's still there.

edit:

Despite the team up, I really think GSW playsyle was really great for the league. And the Spurs and Heat back in 2013/2014. It was type of ball movement and teamplay that was amazing. But at the same time, I look at the Rockets. Man, the type of iso type is almost worst than the 00s if it weren't so damn efficient.
    Last edited by Micku; 07-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    All of them wanted to be like Jordan. Even A.I. Jordan was his idol and favorite player.

Vince Carter, T-Mac, A.I, Kobe, even guys like Jerry Stackhouse, Michael Finley I think all got compared to MJ. It doesn't mean they had MJ style with the exception of Kobe.

They all wanted the championships, but they weren't as efficient as MJ and didn't have the teamplay flow.

Even later with LeBron James, Wade, Durant, and Steph and etc. They all wanted to be like Mike in a sense. But they all had different styles. LeBron is more like Magic, but his favorite player was MJ. Wade loved AI style and kind'a adapted his game, but his favorite player was MJ too.

AI really did influence the game tho. Mostly on the style and attitude almost. His handling and the crossovers. I don't think his style "ruined" the nba really. Ppl were complaining about the lack of good team or team ball in the early 00s, the slow pace, the defense, and desperately wanted another MJ even though Shaq and Kobe were a beast.

Kobe took what MJ had and added his own little style. This influence some players too. Like Kawhi and Tatum tried to emulate his style, which in turn is emulating MJ a bit.

Steph is different tier. I dunno if anyone could be as good as him for a while at doing what he does.

Today players have different styles that could do influence a new generation. But the MJ cloud may still hang over the head since he is still like the bar of success. It got kind'a chip down a bit due to LeBron, but it's still there.

edit:

Despite the team up, I really think GSW playsyle was really great for the league. And the Spurs and Heat back in 2013/2014. It was type of ball movement and teamplay that was amazing. But at the same time, I look at the Rockets. Man, the type of iso type is almost worst than the 00s if it weren't so damn efficient.
    There isn't a single player since MJ coming into the league to this day that doesn't want to be as good as MJ was. No one wants to be as good as KD, Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, etc when they can instead wish to be as good as MJ was.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    There isn't a single player since MJ coming into the league to this day that doesn't want to be as good as MJ was. No one wants to be as good as KD, Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, etc when they can instead wish to be as good as MJ was.
    Exactly.

MJ was great in terms of eye test with how polish his game looks and resume. Who doesn't want 10 scoring titles, 5 mvps, dpoy, 6 titles with 0 loses in the finals, 6 finals mvp, hit multiple game winning shots including your last game in the Finals, and space jam lol?

They don't all copy his style tho. Currently, probably only Kawhi and Tatum. But only because they are learning from Kobe. I think Kawhi has watched some MJ tapes too.

KD strive to be efficient as Bird a while back, and I think he is a big fan of AI and admire MJ and Kobe's game. But he has a different game entirely. Embid I think Wilt is better than MJ. Could be cuz he's a big man.

But MJ is still is the bar. It's been like 20 years since he retired as a Bull and ppl still talk about it. We don't talk about Kareem, Magic, Bird, Dr. J, Wilt, Oscar or Russell that way anymore. They are still mentioned, but MJ is goal. For better or worse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

i was under the impression iverson played a lot of off ball. (OP has been talking "pounding the rock")

watch the game 1 highlights from 2001 Finals against LA.

Eric Snow is dribbling more. Iverson is cutting back and forth off ball with screens.

a ton of his baskets are two dribbles or less mate.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44
    If I saw OP in a bowling alley I would smack him over the head with a chair.

NO, it was post-MJ , "next-jordan hype", chucking, low percentage wannabees like Jerry Stackhouse, JR Rider and the like that ruined the NBA after Jordan's prime.

Kobe and Iverson were legit, although still somewhat also lower percentage chuckers.
    Last edited by DoctorP; 08-01-2019 at 02:28 AM.