Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #1726
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...offseason.html

Quote:
“It probably sounds a bit silly right now, but I think that we are really close to being an unbelievable team, really,” Ingles said after scoring 11 points with nine assists during the Game 5 loss. “The last couple years we’ve showed that we’re kind of right there and obviously this is not my job, but if they keep this group as together as we can, we can have another run because we are close and I think over these last few years we’ve found out a lot about ourselves, our team, each player individually, how we can play, how we want to play and when we lock in and play like that we’re pretty tough to beat.

I think so too but the 40 plus million paid to 3 players needs to go elsewhere and it probably won't
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #1727
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...some-help.html

Mitchell isn't going anywhere for a while. I'd worry about your best player first

Quote:
“And so we’ll get in there and see what’s available to us,” Lindsey said Thursday. “But we’re confident we can continue to move the group forward.”

forward like a 4th straight 5 seed?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #1728
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...19-season.html

Quote:
Management and players know that changes are coming this summer. The team will not be the same for 2019-2020. It’ll be tough to see players go, but it’s a business and improvement needed.

not much I'm sure

Quote:
“There’s not a lot of teams who can do what we do… to win 50 games in the Western Conference, despite all the injuries, in the toughest division in the whole NBA, it’s not easy. It shows a lot of character."

probably one of the healthiest teams this year

Quote:
Georges Niang says his summer goal is to continue to improve his body for the full grind of a 82-game NBA season. “Obviously, I want to continue to work on my body and become the Greek God I know I can be,” Niang said jokingly. 😂😂

I said that's what he needed to work on last year

Quote:
Every time I listen to Dennis Lindsey speak — and evaluate it against what he's done — it just makes me think the Utah Jazz are in such good hands.

yeah who doesn't want the same mediocre team back for another year!~

Quote:
Lindsey: "We've had a lot of things that have come up that would be 'win the press conference' type move" that the Jazz have passed on in FA. Lindsey says he'll take the blame to avoid overpaying a FA.

Exum? Conley?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #1729
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Eric Walden: Derrick: “The guys who I hang out with in the offseason, they always ask, ‘How is Utah?’ I tell them it’s a little different, but it grows on you. … I think guys around the league are thinking about Utah.” – via Twitter tribjazz

hopefully someone to replace you
Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #1730
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46539360...-close-up-shop

They do? If they dont make changes after getting blown out last year why this year? Already pretty much said Favors will be back. They are stuck with Exum since he's better than Conley. And "many scenarios were Ricky is back as well". What are these changes? Udoh, Thabo, Neto maybe is about al I can see. Korver retires. Maybe Jensen gets the job in Cleveland and Igor is back? I won't recognize them anymore?

Quote:
“Change doesn’t automatically mean better,” Lindsey said. “We have a lot to be thankful for this group.”

It does when the changes are obvious. Need people that fit around your best player and Mitchell period! 40 plus million to 3 guys that don't makes you worse
Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #1731
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...n-the-air.html

Quote:
Lindsey talked about how there is “an automatic mindset to change, especially when you fall short and you go through trials” and how change doesn’t always mean better. He pointed out how change can mean getting better, staying the same or getting worse.

You're not going anywhere with the current group. You shouldn't have your job if you think otherwise

Quote:
“We have a lot to be thankful for with this group,” he said. “Those accomplishments we’ve had over the last 24 months, we don’t take lightly.”

two 5 game series losses to Houston is an accomplishment?

Quote:
“It’s got to fit the salary structure, it’s got to be a value add that they’re bringing something we don’t have and it has to be a really good fit,” he said of potential new players.”We’ll certainly make every attempt to examine every piece of the organization, player personnel included, and try to move this group forward.”

Don't use the word fit. Ricky never fit. Favors hasn't fit since Rudy emerged. Exum has never even shown he belongs in the league let alone fit. 40 plus million!

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Rubio returns. It sounds as if both parties want to move on.

Why would Ricky want to move on? I can't see him ever having close to as big of a role as he's had here

Quote:
And keeping Exum, Bradley, Cavenaugh, Korver, Mitou-Long, Thabo, and Udoh makes sense? Joe played horrible the second half of the season once they ran him off that slow set shot 3 pointer. Jae was inconsistent but at least tried to shoot. Rubio needs to stay, and has expressed interest in staying. Unless they can get Kemba Walker they should stay with Ricky and go for an all star shooting big man, that will open up Mitchell game. Kemba has a gunner mentality that could not help Mitchell if they both have similar game. I keep saying Kemba and Tobias Harris. Even Zach LaVine if he is available. Rudy’s best buddy Evan Fournier is a bit streaky and might be available. The Jazz need Wing help not a shoot first point guard.

Wing? Need a modern starting 4 and Exum and Rubio need to go. Replace them with guys that fit and it's a different team
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #1732
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ayer-bios.html

Quote:
Quote: “I gave it all. All I had. Could I have played better? Yeah. Finishing the season, who knows if I finish here? I’m proud about it. This series, we could have won it, that’s a feeling I had and that’s why I’m so disappointed.”

If they replaced you they could have won it

Quote:
Key stat: Bradley played in just three games this season for the Jazz.

Key stat was he put up a double double the only time he got quality minutes. Him and Udoh or another vet need to be fighting for the back up job. Need to spend their money more wisely
Old 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #1733
Xiao Yao You

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page...-dame-warriors

Quote:
Utah is now 2-8 over two postseasons against the Rockets. An interesting debate raging in league circles: Is that more about a singularly bad matchup -- and the Rockets being awesome -- or might it signal that Utah is built for the regular season?

they certainly aren't built to win big. You need to build around your best player. Over 4 years now and we only had a brief glimpse of it and that was just because Favors was hurt and Hayward was going to be a free agent

Quote:
And yet: After the shock-and-awe of Games 1 and 2 -- some of it self-inflicted with a radical strategic shift -- Utah's defense was sound. That includes Gobert. He has fared better against Golden State than you'd expect given his foot speed and the five-out, go-go stylistic card the Warriors can play.

The D was good enough to beat them last year as well. Ricky and Favors starting and Exum behind Ricky at over 40 million tells the story

Quote:
Utah is a really good team that needs a little more top-end scoring and playmaking talent to crack the NBA's most rarefied territory. The Jazz knew that before this series. More talent allows for more schematic versatility. Beyond that obvious thing, I'm not sure Utah should worry that its best players or fundamental belief systems are somehow at odds with playoff success.

They should have known it. Didn't do anything about it if they did
Old 04-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #1734
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/04/25/uta...me-vs-houston/

Quote:
As ought to be expected, Utah Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey has made some great decisions and some less than great decisions. The Dante Exum experiment, for one example, is looking to be of the latter sort barring a big change in the next two years. However, there’s no denying that the signing of Royce O’Neale – especially when it came down to a tough decision between him and former fan favorite Joel Bolomboy – has been one of Lindsey’s most savvy moves.

Having to let Bolomboy go wasn't a great decision. I'd have let Exum go first

Quote:
And ideally, he along with his Jazz team will take yet another leap forward in what will be O’Neale’s third season as a professional. At just 25 years old, Royce certainly has plenty of time to blossom and develop. And I expect him to do just that.

Can't expect him to get a lot better at his age
Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #1735
Xiao Yao You

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/04/25/ut...-vs-rockets/3/

Quote:
Throughout the many ups and downs that Utah experienced in these five games, the inconsistent play of Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert was a recurring theme.

Without Rudy none of the games are even close. He was great on D. Put players around them that fit and they will be fine
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #1736
Xiao Yao You

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/26/do...rt-quin-snyder

Quote:
The Jazz now bow out of the 2019 playoffs with 98 regular-season wins and a playoff series victory over Russell Westbrook and the Thunder since 2017-18. They remain a staunch defensive unit and a near-lock for the 2020 postseason. But as we turn to year three of the Donovan Mitchell era, a critical question has emerged: Can this Jazz core ever evolve into a true contender for the West crown?

If they put pieces around Rudy and Mitchell that fit sure. Conley would have done it

Quote:
Yet it’s hard to shake the feeling that Houston revealed a deeper set of flaws on Utah’s roster, especially on the perimeter. Mitchell is the only creator who can score. Ricky Rubio was exposed against Houston, looking increasingly like a relic of a bygone era. Joe Ingles went just 8-29 from three in the first round. Royce O’Neale, Jae Crowder and Kyle Korver are all complementary parts, and the Dante Exum Fan Club is hemorrhaging members by the season. The alternate reality of a healthy Hayward paired with Mitchell is tantalizing. Paul George would have been a perfect fit, and he’d like have fewer headaches in Salt Lake City. Daydreams aside, Utah is currently bereft of wing talent.

Ricky was exposed long ago. Dante having fans is amazing! The wing isn't their problem. Starting 4 and their supposed top two pg's are

Quote:
The Jazz performed worse with Gobert on the floor this season compared to 2017-18. Utah was plus-9.5 points per 100 possessions with Gobert last year. That mark dipped to plus-6.9 points per 100 possessions in 2018-19. A defensive dip is the central culprit, with Gobert’s defensive rating rising from a dominant 97.4 last year to a solid 102.9 this season. The change wasn’t drastic, but it was noticeable. Gobert slipped defensively this season, a touch slower rotating for blocks, more succeptiable to losing a guard on the perimeter. Harden and Paul took similar advantage this postseason. Utah’s limited scoring erases margin for error on the defensive end. A slight downturn from Gobert made a significant impact.

Used him different. Wouldn't say he was worse

Quote:
Such is the burden worn by an emerging star, but the conversation must be had nonetheless. Can Mitchell reasonably lead Utah from early exit to Finals contender? Year three will be a critical one. Mitchell’s jumper needs to stabilize, and some of the headstrong drives should be replaced by heady dimes. The best version of Mitchell arrived late in the regular season and Utah thrived. He’ll need to deliver the same performance in the next postseason for Utah to be taken seriously out West.

the front office and coach need to deliver and there's no reason to think they will. Favors will likely be back from everything we heard and Rubio could be too. How do you improve?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: