Page 5 of 130 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Maryland's coming to the Big Ten in 2014. Oh, and Rutgers too.

This is gonna be weird.
    they can catch the business

Conferences meaning nothing anymore.

The ACC is no longer what the ACC used to be. Same with the Pac-10, Big 12, and Big Ten. I was against VPI, BC, and Miami joining the conference and they have done very little since. That slowly started the deterioration of that conference.

It's all about money and, for some schools, power. Maryland is a cash strapped university and they are leaving, despite a huge grumble in their fanbase, because the Big Ten offers significantly more money. I don't believe Maryland offers much to the Big Ten other than DC tv markets. That's enough, though. I also believe part of the reason Delaney went after Maryland is because the ACC took Notre Dame. Or to a greater extent, the deal to which the ACC took with Notre Dame.

The ACC still has to worry about FSU and, potentially, Clemson leaving as well. Maryland is going say that the fee is "legally unenforceable" to try deal less than the 50 mil exit fee. Therefore it puts the ACC in situation where they either puss out and let Maryland out the door for less (and leaving the notion that the new exit fee holds no ground -- namely for FSU) or having to deal with a long and expensive law suit which will undeniably bring horrible PR.

For the sake of the conference, Swofford has to go with the law suit, no? If FSU leaves then you might as well start the obituary for the ACC because there is no conceivable way it survives. It will essentially become the Big East.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I'm just a huge fan of Delaney basically telling the ACC "50 million exit fee? You know who the **** you're talking to?"

I agree it's a plan to destabilize the ACC, that's at least a pretty big added benefit. ACC starts getting shaky then UNC's next. I don't know if they'd leave Duke, but even if not UNC + Duke as 15th and 16 members would be pretty damn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I'm just a huge fan of Delaney basically telling the ACC "50 million exit fee? You know who the **** you're talking to?"

I agree it's a plan to destabilize the ACC, that's at least a pretty big added benefit. ACC starts getting shaky then UNC's next. I don't know if they'd leave Duke, but even if not UNC + Duke as 15th and 16 members would be pretty damn fun.
    And then Syracuse and Pitt would be all "Ummm...like wtf just happened here?" lol

If UNC leaves (and they're probably bring Duke with them) then the ACC will blow up. Probably join the scraps with the Big East to make one large and pathetic conference. FSU to the Big 12, maybe Clemson and State to the SEC, Virginia Tech somewhere, and let all the other programs die.

As a UNC fan, honestly, I would rather be in the SEC or (my preference) the Big Ten right now. The ACC is probably going to be a sinking ship soon. The problem is that much of the power of the conference is run through Tobacco Road and I feel that UNC isn't willing to give up that power unless they absolutely have to. So basically they will jump ship only if the water is neck deep.

Anyway, apparently the ACC is looking to add one of UConn or Louisville.

So a non-football school which helps push FSU out the door or going back on everything the conference is saying they stand for. Awesome.

Yeah, from everything I've heard/red UNC, Duke, and a sprinkling of UVa basically run the ACC. I couldn't see them leaving until the conference is dead.

And even if that happens, they're not running shit in the Big Ten. That's for UM and OSU. Thought isn't not as bad as some other conferences.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Butler/Marquette in Maui, good game

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

oh woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Rotnei!

what a terrible shot lol. nothing's that bad a look for Clarke though I suppose.

Wow, what an ending to the Butler game. Incredible buzzer beater from Rotnei Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Wow, what an ending to the Butler game. Incredible buzzer beater from Rotnei Clarke.
    that shot had no business going in. amazing, simply, the best play so far this season, what a game.

The best part of that shot is Brad Stevens having no reaction other than to walk to center court and shake the coaches hand.

Cold blooded mother****er.

I know Mississippi State is all kinds of terrible right now, and they're short-handed, but I didn't see a 49-17 halftime lead coming.

UNC-Los Angeles down 10-8 early to Georgetown.

just put on the UCLA game, where is shabazz?

edit: nevermind