Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #916
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/15/18...ubio-raul-neto

Quote:
While the Utah Jazz are on a winning streak, it has not come easy due to their lack of a replacement level point guard. The Jazz have been without any of their point guards for a week now. Luckily, relief is in sight.

They've looked better than they have since they let Hill go.

Quote:
Ankle sprains are finicky and Dante Exumís first step is it ultimate weapon. Having Exum as close to 100% allows him to pick up right where he left off.

An ultimate weapon that means nothing if he can't finish. I'd guess he won't pick up where he left off no matter what though

Quote:
In the meantime, it looks like Utah will get one more week of the Donovan Mitchell show at point guard. Donovan Mitchell has taken Western Conference Player of the Week honors filling in for Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum, and Raul Neto at the 1 averaging 31.5 points, 5.8 assists, 4.3 rebounds on 48/49/82 shooting.

Lucky to get relief from that!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #917
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...jazz-franchise

Quote:
Rudy Gobert’s emergence as the NBA’s best defender has been a franchise changer for the Utah Jazz. After the trade of then-star Deron Williams, the Jazz entered a period of kind of rebuilding and kind of not. They didn’t do well at either until drafting and developing Rudy Gobert. Here’s a couple tweets to show you what I mean.

It's called tanking and Rudy ruined their best layed plans

Quote:
Tavan Parker
@TavanParker
Since entering the league, the @utahjazz are 161-111 (59%) when @rudygobert27 starts and 59-117 (33%) when he doesn't.

Go
Vote
Rudy
Gobert
An
NBA
All
Star#NBAVote

6:01 PM - Jan 3, 2019

Even before they traded Kanter from mid December until the trade a couple months later they were a different team. One of the worst teams in basketball witout him but keep telling us how great Mitchell, Snyder, Lindsey, Rubio etc. are.

Quote:
Our offense actually has not been good with Donovan at PG
Donovan himself has been killing it, but the Jazz offense as a whole has been it’s regular bad. Our defense has been stellar though

Posted by cchappell18 on Jan 16, 2019 | 8:44 AM

which is another area where Rubio kills them with his matador D

Quote:
in effect i think this does work. at least well enough for the jazz to have an average offense even if RR is not a shooter.

yeah, that’s not scientific but it might have some merit.

Posted by RainDanceParty on Jan 15, 2019 | 7:50 PM

an average offense isn't going anywhere

Quote:
However against Rudy you can not troll or you get a notice of expulsion from the forum, as it has happened to me. Well, that’s a totalitarian policy.

Posted by Luli73 on Jan 15, 2019 | 12:37 PM

one of the 3 most important people in the franchise's history. why would you troll him?

Quote:
Replace Gobert with Towns and the offense would maybe get to top 5. But the defense would be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Minnesota’s defense was bottom 10 last year and is not even in the top half this year – Towns is a big reason why they can’t get it together on that end of the court.

Posted by Uber_snotling on Jan 15, 2019 | 1:27 PM

Not sure the offense gets better. Rudy is one of the most effective offensive players in the league

Quote:
Rudy isn’t the only reason the Jazz are great on defense. They don’t have Thibodeau running a laughably outdated scheme and not teaching the players (up until just recently thank god). They don’t have Derrick Rose and Jeff Teague and Jamal Crawford and whatever other garbage perimeter defenders the Wolves have given Towns to work with. Turnstiles.

Fact is Towns was highly touted defensively when he came into the league, has every imaginable physical tool to play dominant defense, and now that he’s out from under a terrible tyrant of a head coach he’s putting it together. Scheme and fit and personnel can change everything for a player. He would kick ass under Quin.

I’ve actually convinced myself that it would be a net positive to trade Rudy for him. I would guess his career will last significantly longer, he’s extremely durable, never missed a game I don’t think. Not that any of this will happen, it’s just fun to think about, and again I LOVE RUDY GOBERT, he fits the Jazz like a glove, he’s actually my favorite player, I want him around as long as he wants to be around.

Posted by Alex Dye on Jan 15, 2019 | 2:12 PM

They aren't good defensively without Rudy. Even with him they are inconsistent. Rubio is a turnstile

Quote:
I think he prefers playing pf
But yeah I think him and Rudy would be a better pairing than cousins was

Posted by Pistol Pete B on Jan 16, 2019 | 7:31 AM

really?

Quote:
Our chances of winning a ring would then be on the shoulders of guys like Exum and Crowder. If we don’t believe either of them are ready to handle that or good enough to take them there then we have to go with multiple players. Maybe try to retain Favors and add a guy like Middleton.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 15, 2019 | 1:36 PM

they're in trouble than
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #918
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/15/uta...-another-week/

Quote:
Despite the fact that Mitchell has been flying high and the Jazz have won six of their last seven contests, these injuries are anything but good on multiple fronts.

keep telling yourself that. If nothing else maybe the Wizard will get a clue after seeing what we've seen and build around Rudy and Mitchell finally?
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #919
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/15/uta...e-player-week/

Quote:
From game to game, itís becoming more and more apparent that Mitchell is getting better at letting the game come to him, reading his opponents and trusting in his teammates enough to make the best decisions. Heís taken over when needed, and facilitated with precision at other key moments.

what is apparent is that he needs the ball in his hands and needs spacing to work. Rubio, Exum and Favors don't allow that.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #920
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/starter-lev...treaking-jazz/

Quote:
The next obvious question then becomes, should Donovan get more time as the teamís point guard (a debate I wonít get into here) and who should start next to him?

Probably O'Neale of who's currently on the team. If they trade some of their contracts that could change

Quote:
While his production of late is commendable and much needed, OíNeale doesnít project as a long-term Jazz starter. Heís on a good contract thatís very cheap (Jae Crowder style!) and will be with the Jazz for a few seasons1 as a solid rotational backup. Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey should receive recognition for the deals and contracts heís put together, because those cheap deals for value players mean the Jazz have extra cash to use up in a trade or free agency.

Will just mean Rubio and Favors return and they can pay their first and Goss oh joy!
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #921
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/16/18...ert-joe-ingles

Quote:
The Los Angeles Clippers got out to a hot start being as many as 8 games over .500 for the season. However, they are 5-5 over their last 10 and have lost their last three games. Their star player, and apple of Dennis Lindseyís eye, Tobias Harris has been an absolute beast this year. The Clippers trade with Detroit that sent Griffin packing has been a spectacular haul while Harris averages 20.8 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists on 50/44/88 shooting. Harris has become the small ball four that both Orlando and Detroit hoped he could be except now heís in Los Angeles.

Harris supposedly likes the Jazz. Doesn't mean Lindsey is ready to get rid of Favors

Quote:
Rudy Gobert will be challenged as well by sixth man of the year candidate Montrezl Harrell. He has looked like this yearís Clint Capela as he has locked down the paint and averaged 16 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks in only 25.5 minutes per game. The only limit to his abilities is Doc Rivers unfathomable love of starting Marcin Gortat over him.

Harrell is 6'8". Bench is probably where he belongs

Quote:
If Utah wins tonightís game they would rise to 8th in the West while only being 0.5 games behind the Clippers and Spurs. Meanwhile, the Clippers would drop to 7th in the West. Right now thereís only 3 games separating 3rd place in the West and 9th. Thereís only 4.5 games separating 3rd place and 12th.

4.5 is quite a bit
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: