Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: anyone who thinks a big man from 60's,70's,80's,90's,00's would dominate today.......

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    So Al Jefferson can average 21.9ppg and 10.7rpg in today's NBA but you don't think Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem etc would dominate?

Strong argument right there.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Al-Jefferson-2979/

Plus Al Jefferson = physically identical to Wayne Embry in size, ~ 6-8 270 with long arms and big hands, you know just another one of the helpless examples of "undersized" bigs Wilt was crushing that wouldn't even be able to make it in today's league where every big is a "7 footer"

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: anyone who thinks a big man from 60's,70's,80's,90's,00's would dominate today.......

Your premise is that they couldn't dominate because or rule changes which is completely different than acting like they wouldn't even be able to compete because of lack of talent...

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    is on drugs or not a fan of the game of basketball

the rules changed to fit guard play. they changed to fit perimeter play. they changed to encourage flashy stars

basically they changed for lebron

shaq was the last guy who could abuse the rules... just back a guy down for 20 seconds with illegal defense and mostly single coverage. if they dared to collapse an extra guy he kicked it out and stayed in his position. theyed throw it back in.. the rotations were slow because of man to man coverage and illegal defense.

today its impossible to back a guy down.. its impossible to get inside position.

and the rules favor slashing and cutting.

for some reason breathing on a guy outside draws a foul. but big men need to draw blood to get a call

handchecking on bigs is legal. but not on perimeter guys

basically the nba created/manufactured the insanely big crop of star PG's... theyve made durant legendary. theyve made lebron unstoppable..

and even kobe took advantage of it late in his career. being able to average near 30ppg before his achilles injury with a 34 year old body coming off 50 knee surgeries

i'm sorry but wilt/kareem and even shaq would have a hard time doing anything... infact i believe shaq was still big and strong enough to be productive if they still had early 2000's rules.. but in boston you could see the new rules turning him into an obsolete player

the only reason duncans lasted so long is cause he has a mid range game

hakeem might be the only big that i could see still putting up close to his normal average

its a fact. only perimeter guys could come from the past and do good in this era. look at the way the nba has shit out roy hibbert. another casualty
    Dude, if post play was allowed to be more rough and physical, LeBron would dominate the small forward position to a much greater extent than he does now. Deep down you know this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Your premise is that they couldn't dominate because or rule changes which is completely different than acting like they wouldn't even be able to compete because of lack of talent...
    when it comes to bigs not being able to dominate in todays nba. its not due to talent.

i mean post moves havent changed much over the years. big men were mostly never known for their bag of tricks or handling

their hooks, layups and dunks are all pretty similar

when i bash on the 50's, 60's, 70's players in terms of talent. i usualy stick to guards who lacked an off hand, lacked speed, lacked athleticism, lacked outside shooting, lacked footwork or spacing... and didnt have the same all around creation off the dribble

but with big men there isnt much difference with the way shaq or wilt backed down a guy and jumped clean over them and threw it down

wilt might have been able to destroy the league in the 80's and 90's the same way other bigs did. but not today

sorry

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    dispute it than ginger fgt. euroleague is right about your bitchass
    Dispute what, dumbass? This idiot wrote that Shaq would be ineffective. That isn't worth an argument just like your stupid mouth isn't worth a reply. I just occasionally like to inform an idiot that he's an idiot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Dude, if post play was allowed to be more rough and physical, LeBron would dominate the small forward position to a much greater extent than he does now. Deep down you know this.

him and his 1 single sh*tty footwork awkward back down 3 dribble turn around left handed bank hook shot.. that move he needed 10 years to learn how to do and does it 2 times a game?

f*ck off

lebron is a face up player. he loses all balance when he takes his eyes off the rim

he has bow legged 6 toed duck feet. he cant be a big man

kobetard

this era is shit for a reason

and it isnt a lack of tall strong human beings with hand eye coordination

its the rule changes

NO wilt would not dominate. sorry
    Rule changes might not be helping out the bigs, but people who watched the past great big men play know that they are not seeing that quality in today's league. Jordan dominated the league before the perimeter rule changes, and one could say he is the reason the league started to favor perimeter play.

Jordan's unprecedented popularity motivated the league, while also inspiring many young players, to start focusing more on perimeter play and guys like Kobe and LeBron came along. The league just wants to help its stars, make the popular even more popular. I'm sure just like how Jordan transcended big men dominated play, there will come along another great, great center who shit on the perimeter favored rules of today and inspire the nation to start appreciating big men again, resulting once again in rule changes. Everything in life happens in cycles.

I knew this wasn't serious or even smart once you said Shaq would back someone down for 20 sec

him and his 1 single sh*tty footwork awkward back down 3 dribble turn around left handed bank hook shot.. that move he needed 10 years to learn how to do and does it 2 times a game?

f*ck off

lebron is a face up player. he loses all balance when he takes his eyes off the rim

he has bow legged 6 toed duck feet. he cant be a big man
    Call it whatever you want, he is dominant at his position in the low post. He's bigger and stronger, and generally much more athletic than anyone who guards him. If post play was allowed to be more physical than it is now, he would be even more dominant.

And also you're wrong. He has the Dirk-one-legged fade, the regular fade to either shoulder, a nice drop step on smaller defenders, and a few other moves that I don't know the names of. Your hater goggles betray you.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Your delusional fantasy world sounds pretty entertaining to live in

NBA Superstar

yeah, I'm gonna agree with griff on this one.

It's the reason I think you have to take someone like Wiggins over Embiid even though Embiid is clearly the better prospect.

It's a perimeter oriented league now.

NBA Superstar

I wouldn't go as far as to say someone like Shaq would be ineffective, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think this is BY FAR the worst era for bigmen in large part due to the rules and how the game is called now.

i dont think so.. the whole idea of a big man is banging, bulling over people. abusing people. backing them down. camping. getting calls

shaq got calls all the time. on every miss they thought he must have been fouled. but shaq was f*cking the defender up and bruising them way worse.

he absolutely knocked the hell out of mutombo in the 2001 finals. he left with 2 black eyes. 4 bumps on his head and 5 broken ribs

that sh*t doesnt happen anymore. its not a big mans game anymore. its an insult to man kind and humans in general to say its just a lack of 6 billion people being able to produce a single guy over the height of 6-10 that can play big man basketball anymore successfully..

to just assume humans were better/smarter/more talented back in the 60's,70's,80's,90's and early 00's is sort of a spit in the face to genetics

its the game thats changed. not human beings

What, are you retarded? The human beings on the court have changed you imbecile.

NBA sixth man of the year

when it comes to bigs not being able to dominate in todays nba. its not due to talent.

i mean post moves havent changed much over the years. big men were mostly never known for their bag of tricks or handling

their hooks, layups and dunks are all pretty similar

when i bash on the 50's, 60's, 70's players in terms of talent. i usualy stick to guards who lacked an off hand, lacked speed, lacked athleticism, lacked outside shooting, lacked footwork or spacing... and didnt have the same all around creation off the dribble

but with big men there isnt much difference with the way shaq or wilt backed down a guy and jumped clean over them and threw it down

wilt might have been able to destroy the league in the 80's and 90's the same way other bigs did. but not today

sorry
    I get this but its like you're arguing a point that everyone already knows or has acknowledged.....Because of rule changes, bigs wouldn't be able to dominate like that...At least I assume everyone knows that. I think when people like CavsFTW or whoever are talking about Wilt, they are assuming if the rules were the same...I think they know the rule changes would change things...

Now if people are saying that regardless of rule changes, bigs would be able to still dominate, then I dont' agree with that...However, its hard to ignore the numbers that a Howard can put up even in his prime with no back-to-basket game or what Al Jefferson can do because he has a great post game...Both of these guys have some of the best stats in the NBA today so I think its safe to assume, Wilt or Kareem could do the same if not better...

Know what's even more mind blowing?

The fact that some are even agreeing with the OP.

Roy Hibbert is an all star in today's nba. But bigs from stronger eras wouldn't dominate in today's league.

How the fu*k is this even a discussion?