Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: I'm so sick of these fkn timeouts

Quote Originally Posted by Pursuer
    What would you rather have: TV timeouts of jersey ads?
    Has the NBA said the ads would reduce the tv timeouts? I find that difficult to believe. $$$

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

I personally like the end timeouts as you get to see the expressions of the players and crowd and it adds to the experience.

But yeah, control what you can. I usually mute the TV and have some kind of activity nearby when it goes to commercials. Usually I'm checking forums to see reactions, doing homework, playing the PSP, etc.

Beats being angry lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidz
    Seriously, the last minute of the game takes half an hour.
    It just kills the tension and ruins the game.
    We have to stop every 5 seconds anyway to watch foul shots + review shitty ref calls.
    I know it will never happen because of advertising, but I would love to see the NBA cut two timeouts for each team.

no doubt.......1 or 2 timeouts per team is enough........look at other sports, most have 1 or no timeouts

FIBA Rules.
    2 Timeouts First Half.
    3 Timeouts Second Half.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    You wouldn't be complaining if you were a player.

They need the breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Their only human beings. They need breaks to. It's not just about the huddle and strategies.

Uhh... there are timeouts, halftime, designated TV breaks, and inter-quarter breaks. Haven't you guys played a few hours of pickup before.... maybe with a 1 min water break in between games...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Uhh... there are timeouts, halftime, designated TV breaks, and inter-quarter breaks. Haven't you guys played a few hours of pickup before.... maybe with a 1 min water break in between games...
    Righto. Undoubtedly, the NBA game is played much faster and harder than what we're pulling off at the courts, but I still feel that does not necessitate four or more breaks in the final minute alone.

As it stands currently, and I think I may be wrong on some of the details, but I think there's a mandatory break just about every 3-5 minutes of game-time (under 9 time-out, under 3 time-out). Clearly, there's breaks after every quarter, including at least 15 minutes for half-time. Then, each team is allotted six time-outs of their own during a contest. Many times, each team has two full time-outs and one 20-second time-out saved for the last two minutes of action, grinding everything to an abrupt halt.

My favorite is the three additional full time-outs awarded to each side when a game goes to overtime (or is it two fulls and a 20?). Either way, it's awful, and sometimes the end of a game feels more like work than entertainment.

On the flip side, college basketball's end-of-game sequences are often incredible roller coaster rides, as teams do not have as many time-outs to use and often must try to win by playing basketball without stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Righto. Undoubtedly, the NBA game is played much faster and harder than what we're pulling off at the courts, but I still feel that does not necessitate four or more breaks in the final minute alone.

As it stands currently, and I think I may be wrong on some of the details, but I think there's a mandatory break just about every 3-5 minutes of game-time (under 9 time-out, under 3 time-out). Clearly, there's breaks after every quarter, including at least 15 minutes for half-time. Then, each team is allotted six time-outs of their own during a contest. Many times, each team has two full time-outs and one 20-second time-out saved for the last two minutes of action, grinding everything to an abrupt halt.

My favorite is the three additional full time-outs awarded to each side when a game goes to overtime (or is it two fulls and a 20?). Either way, it's awful, and sometimes the end of a game feels more like work than entertainment.

On the flip side, college basketball's end-of-game sequences are often incredible roller coaster rides, as teams do not have as many time-outs to use and often must try to win by playing basketball without stoppage.

YES this is the worst. Come the **** on, NBA. You should get one full TO and that's it. MAYBE one full, one 20, per OT.

it's awful. lets have two time outs per quarter, one in ot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

And these aren't your general 1-1.30 minute TO's, a full NBA timeout is 3-3.30 minutes on average.

It's one of the reasons players can do heavy minutes when need be, there are plenty of breathers.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    And these aren't your general 1-1.30 minute TO's, a full NBA timeout is 3-3.30 minutes on average.

It's one of the reasons players can do heavy minutes when need be, there are plenty of breathers.
    Yup. I remember NBC using a graphic in the late 90's showing a player's amount of rest, both in terms of gameplay missed and real time spent on the bench. I can't remember the numbers precisely, but I feel like a guy like Jordan could sit for the last 45 seconds of a quarter and it'd translate to something like 11 minutes of rest in real time when accounting for stoppages, time-outs, and commercial breaks (I could have really exaggerated that).

Quote Originally Posted by Aidz
    Seriously, the last minute of the game takes half an hour.
    It just kills the tension and ruins the game.
    We have to stop every 5 seconds anyway to watch foul shots + review shitty ref calls.
    I know it will never happen because of advertising, but I would love to see the NBA cut two timeouts for each team.

I always thought it'd be interesting to get rid of the live ball timeout. No timeouts on the court, no timeouts on inbounds once the ball was out of the refs hands. Of course, that has little to do with your problem. I still think it would help the game.

The funny part is intentional fouling + advancing the ball is designed to use timeouts/late game shit. If you make a game winner in the NCAA with 4 seconds left, you have pretty much won. If you make a shot like that in the NBA, there can still be a shot for you team, and the ball will likely return to the other team for a last second .9 shot.

-Smak

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    The funny part is intentional fouling + advancing the ball is designed to use timeouts/late game shit. If you make a game winner in the NCAA with 4 seconds left, you have pretty much won. If you make a shot like that in the NBA, there can still be a shot for you team, and the ball will likely return to the other team for a last second .9 shot.
    That is why I believe it would be ideal for each team to have one time-out a piece in the final minute. That way, after the under-three-minutes time-out, teams would have to prepare for the final stretch and make plays on the fly. However, having one time-out per would still allow clubs that opportunity to advance the ball in those last second situations.

Decent playground baller TimmyDuncan's Avatar

I think the number of timeout is fine. It add stategy to the game

BUT if 20 seconds timeout could actually last 20 sec and not 1 minutes it would be a nice start
    And if you could have more 20 sec timeouts and less full timeouts it would be even better

I would also use more the video and for more situation (fouls in the last 2 minutes) but the refs don't need to watch 20 times the same replay to take a decision. When the 1st replay is clear they should just stop the review and take the decision

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyDuncan
    I think the number of timeout is fine. It add stategy to the game.
    I feel where you are coming from in this regard. However, I believe strategy will exist regardless of how many time-outs each team may hold. I believe teams could amply prepare for last minute scenarios well in advance. Again, I would retain one time-out per side in that final minute, but I do not think the positives outweigh the negatives in a six time-outs environment.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

NBA fans bitch about everything