Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Free Agency

I think just about everyone would have interest in a guy like Anderson. High energy, athletic, good defensively, and knows his role.

The rest of free agency will be interesting, there's some marquee names, but they're's questions with them and teams are gonna be hesitant with the possiblity of big time free agency next year.

I usually hit open layups

Given that salary cap is going to go down and luxury tax threshold is being lowered, coupled with a lackluster free agent class, overall economic downturn and the potentially stellar free agent class of 2010, coupled with a number of teams that might have salary cap space, it will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

I think good players who are nonetheless not true difference makers, but solid role players, who would have normally gotten a lot of attention for above the MLE might not get the types of offers they expect. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I guess everything becomes more interesting if Kobe opts out and decides that he'll entertain offers, but that's a pipe dream for teams who might go after him. He'll get his fourth ring this season and go for 5 next. In fact, he might opt out to sign a slightly smaller, but longer term contract to give Lakers more flexibility to add other pieces. That guy has legacy on the line and I'm guessing the minimum number of rings with one team that he'd be happy with is 6 so he doesn't have less than MJ.

I really wonder how many contracts above the MLE we'll see given out. I'd be surprised if Kobe opts out, but he could I guess. Outside of that a guy like Boozer should get decent money. Marion, I don't know, he's got that Phoenix system stigma now and his attitude has shown through a bit. But guys like Bibby, AI, Kidd, Miller, McDyess, they may see above MLE, but I'd be surprised. Which will make it interesting because unlike a lot of years, it puts a lot of teams into play. That MLE is gonna be pretty valuable.

You know, coming off injury, I wouldn't be surprised if Boozer didn't opt out this year and rebuild his value. This likely would be his best bet to get a huge contract next year. Fact of the matter is that unless Detroit or Memphis are ready to give him a max or near max long term contract this year, he won't have any other suitors who can afford him. He would be a good fit for both teams, but they might be concerned about the injury, especially in light of what happened with the Sixers and Brand. If he can't get a nibble from one of those two, he'd be better off playing this season in Utah and becoming a free agent next season, when more teams will have money. Most will be disappointed when LeBron stays in Cleveland or goes to New York (I dont think he considers anyone else), when Wade stays in Miami, when Kobe stays in LA. Yao might go to Cleveland, but otherwise he wouldn't leave Houston. Amare is likely to be traded this season and re-sign to a long term deal with the team trading for him. Bosh might be the only guy who is legitimately available to teams so Boozer could be the default option for a number of teams.

Marion also has his age to contend with. If Bibby doesn't re-sign with Atlanta, I would be shocked if someone gave him above the MLE. McDyess, Wallace, and Kidd are at best MLE players at this stage of their careers. Would be shocked if LA let Ariza go anywhere. Odom might command above the MLE from someone - he's still young enough. Maybe AI, although I doubt it. Guys like Okur, Turkogulu, Gordon, Lee, Felton and Millsap will get above the MLE, but most likely re-sign with their current teams. Lee might be sign and traded. Okur might go to Detroit.

Well Detroit has made no secret of their desire for Boozer, and Gordon as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if he hit the market.

Except if Detroit wants to ensure Boozer is healthy, they'd have to work out compensation with Utah. Boozer isn't likely to opt out if Detroit then flags his health and backs out of giving him a mega bucks deal. Other than Memphis, he wouldn't have other suitors and would be in a less than glorious position to maximize his earning power. If he doesn't opt out however, Detroit has no way to verify his health short of figuring out some way to compensate Utah so as to have them allow access to one of their players for a full physical. Therein lies the rub - until Utah re-signs Millsap, they might not be so quick to give up Boozer's services for next season. Also, what will they ask from Detroit in return?

I haven't seen articles about Gordon going to Detroit. It seems like they have more pressing needs in the front court, but Gordon could in theory fit in well next to Stuckey, who is a physical 6-5 and could guard SGs while Gordon guards opposing PGs. However, Detroit just gave Rip Hamilton a 4 year extension for big bucks last year and unless they find a way to move him, they'll have too many guards and not enough playing time. If they find a taker for Rip however, Gordon seems like he'd be a nice fit in Detroit. Still, I'd be suprised if Chicago just let him walk without putting up a fight. They offered him 5 years and $60 million last year. Is Detroit really going to make a much better offer for a relatively limited player like Gordon? Seems like Dumars is too smart to do that, but who knows.

Larry Brown loves defense and rebounds. Samuel Dalembert is his man.

Quote Originally Posted by SixersFan76
    Except if Detroit wants to ensure Boozer is healthy, they'd have to work out compensation with Utah. Boozer isn't likely to opt out if Detroit then flags his health and backs out of giving him a mega bucks deal. Other than Memphis, he wouldn't have other suitors and would be in a less than glorious position to maximize his earning power. If he doesn't opt out however, Detroit has no way to verify his health short of figuring out some way to compensate Utah so as to have them allow access to one of their players for a full physical. Therein lies the rub - until Utah re-signs Millsap, they might not be so quick to give up Boozer's services for next season. Also, what will they ask from Detroit in return?

I haven't seen articles about Gordon going to Detroit. It seems like they have more pressing needs in the front court, but Gordon could in theory fit in well next to Stuckey, who is a physical 6-5 and could guard SGs while Gordon guards opposing PGs. However, Detroit just gave Rip Hamilton a 4 year extension for big bucks last year and unless they find a way to move him, they'll have too many guards and not enough playing time. If they find a taker for Rip however, Gordon seems like he'd be a nice fit in Detroit. Still, I'd be suprised if Chicago just let him walk without putting up a fight. They offered him 5 years and $60 million last year. Is Detroit really going to make a much better offer for a relatively limited player like Gordon? Seems like Dumars is too smart to do that, but who knows.
    There was an article that came out yesterday talking about the Pistons desire for both Boozer and Gordon. THe word was they were interested in moving Rip to free up more money.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Larry Brown loves defense and rebounds. Samuel Dalembert is his man.
    Can you imagine how bad LB would just verbally abuse him when he made those typical Sam mistakes. It would be great entertainment,

It's actually not as crazy as it sounds for two reasons. A - Brown is crazy, so while he hates a guy he has, several years later he seems to have a lobotomy and convinces himself that the guy he wanted to trade was actually everything he's ever hoped for in a player; and B - Bobcats were so desperate to add a true center to their roster in order to enable Okafor to play the 4 that they traded for a limited stiff like Diop in spite of the fact that he had a 5 year contract.

That being said, without a third team, Bobcats just don't have the players or contracts that would make trading Dalembert enticing to us in any way. We certainly don't want to be saddled with the 4 years left on Diop's contract and with Smith coming back and after adding Kapono, we have no need for Radmanovic. It makes little sense to add Mohammed, who has 2 years left on his deal and can't play and another stiff or aging player with an even longer contract.

Learning to shoot layups the big stick's Avatar

Thanks for an interesting tread SixersFan76.

I think it is in our best interest to go after Robert Swift because of all of the things you listed earlier. He is a true 7 footer, young and he will come cheap because he has been such a disappointment.

I don

Rip is getting into his 30's and with 4 years left at pretty significant money, they might not find too many takers in this economic climate. Can the Pistons afford both? It would be a huge shift in philosophy for Dumars, who loves defense. Both Gordon and Boozer are poor defensive players. Without a true center on the roster or a shot blocker at the 5, the Pistons would have to be an offensive team to be successful. Can they hope to compete for a title with Stuckey, Gordon, Prince and Boozer as their cornerstones? I'm not so sure. Detroit is a place with pretty high expectations.

Monday, June 15, 2009
    Ivey Declines Option
    Royal Ivey, who appeared in 71 games as a backup guard for the 76ers, has declined his player option for the 2009-10 season.

Keith Glass, Ivey's agent, informed Sixers president/general manager Ed Stefanski of Ivey's decision in a letter late last week.

Ivey, who was listed as earning $854,957 this season, was scheduled to earn the veteran's minimum of $959,111 in '09-10. He originally had until July 2 to make his decision, but agreed to move the date to today.

Ivey, known primarily for his defense and an ability to fill in at both backcourt positions, averaged 3.0 points in 12.1 minutes.
    1 guard down.

I actually liked Ivey

He was the Reggie Evans of PG's pretty much.

Decent playground baller Venja42's Avatar

Lets think Point Guard for a moment here.

I only need to say one name.

Ramon Sessions.

Young. Raw. Talented. And he's experienced after two seasons in Milwaukee. The Bucks have been looking to cut salary like everyone else and there was speculation before about their disinterest in resigning Sessions. Plus they have Ridnour under contract and the #10 selection in the draft to pick up another young point guard.

Go after Sessions. He's a restricted free agent but if the Bucks draft a PG in June, they won't match in July.