Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Blake Griffin or John Wall: who would you pick?

league needs more of this from the 2009 #1 pick

why live??

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    John Wall is Allen Iverson part 2. In terms of franchise impact when it comes to attendance, sales, face of the franchise. There is no one on the roster that has the appeal and marketability of a John Wall.

*entire city of Brother Love does the John Wall dance*

Give me the talent over need. And give me the better "draw" while you're at it. Sixers did that with Allen Iverson. You do it again with John Wall. Ya dig?
    I see what you're saying, but if Wall flops, and they trade Holiday for it to happen and he blows up, the front office are as good as gone. I think Wall is more of a swing for the fences than Griffin. Wall definitely has the higher potential, but Griffin is the more sure pick in my eyes and he fills a need.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore KB24's Avatar

blake, cant tech size

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    You think he's an overrated "prospect", really? He's one of the most NBA ready players of that draft class. Charles Barkley and Karl Malone weren't big shot blockers out there, yet they are some all-time greats at their position (and Griffin is a power forward more reminiscent to them, not so much a 7 foot back-to-the-basket player). He's going to be playing next to Chris Kaman, so shot blocking won't be his job solely. Griffin averaged a solid 22.7 PPG in a pretty low scoring college game, easily became the #1 pick. He's not a great FT shooter, but he won't be incapable of getting to the line ALOT I think, and at times hitting 4-5, 9-13 of them. He'll average a couple of dimes at least too. Off the top of my head, he's going to be better than both Micheal Beasley and LaMarcus Aldridge IMO, despite both of them being sort of jump-shooting bigmen.
    My point was, I don't think he's a particularly skilled offensive player and I don't see him being a dominant defender who can make up for that. He'll score some based on athleticism alone, but a lot of that depends on playing with a great playmaker.

I've never viewed Beasley as a real big man, more of a tweener. I never saw him as the double digit rebounder some projected him as nor do I view him as a number 1 pick type talent. Aldridge is nowhere close to what I'd want out of a number 1 pick. I think he could be effective alongside a healthy Greg Oden, but I'm not a big Aldridge fan.

Not saying Griffin couldn't be better than those guys, but I think he's very raw offensively. Rookie season, I see Griffin as basically a 13/8 type player max, maybe 18/10 eventually. Wouldn't rule out 20/10, but I don't see it as a franchise player type 20/10.

Wall has a bigger opportunity to remake a franchise.

Griffin is a pretty unique player IMO. Pretty much an extreme hustle player in a superstar body.

I think he can be very good but I need to see how his uniqueness translates to the NBA.

John Wall has more of a typical superstar NBA game.

NBA sixth man of the year

Living in the moment, give me the guy that hasn't had knee surgery.

In a fantasy world in which Blake Griffin never blew his knee out, I'd have to think hard about it. I might lean towards BG if he hadn't of blown out his knee.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    My point was, I don't think he's a particularly skilled offensive player and I don't see him being a dominant defender who can make up for that. He'll score some based on athleticism alone, but a lot of that depends on playing with a great playmaker.

I've never viewed Beasley as a real big man, more of a tweener. I never saw him as the double digit rebounder some projected him as nor do I view him as a number 1 pick type talent. Aldridge is nowhere close to what I'd want out of a number 1 pick. I think he could be effective alongside a healthy Greg Oden, but I'm not a big Aldridge fan.

Not saying Griffin couldn't be better than those guys, but I think he's very raw offensively. Rookie season, I see Griffin as basically a 13/8 type player max, maybe 18/10 eventually. Wouldn't rule out 20/10, but I don't see it as a franchise player type 20/10.
    Right on...

I disagree though, I hate talking numbers, but his rookie season I think he'll be closer to a 14-15 and 8-10 ..... but that was last season, I really don't know when, how, and at what rate, the Clippers plan to integrate him into their offense. I don't even know what his status is. But assuming he had never gotten injured and/or he's ok, he was going to have/is still going to have a decent rookie season (imo), but I don't think he's as raw as you think he is (he'll need to work on things for sure, but he's really good right now). He's got excellent ball handling skills for a big man, footwork, and offensive touch, in today's league I can see him getting to the rim routinely, and creating for others off the dribble more so than somebody like Amare or Howard is capable of (ie. it'll open things up for him when he can regularly find the open players). He doesn't have the greatest range, but his shot doesn't look all-out flawed, he can hit 10-15 footers. If players like Corey Brewer, Jason Thompson, Andray Blatche can score in the 12-14 PPG range today, I can definitely see the talented Griffin doing it, and more. I'm not saying it'll go hand-in-hand with winning a championship, but the Clipps would certainly improve from 29 wins, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Living in the moment, give me the guy that hasn't had knee surgery.

In a fantasy world in which Blake Griffin never blew his knee out, I'd have to think hard about it. I might lean towards BG if he hadn't of blown out his knee.
    "Blown out his knee" is rather extreme. Supposedly there will be no long term effects from the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    "Blown out his knee" is rather extreme. Supposedly there will be no long term effects from the surgery.
    He missed an entire year due to knee surgery. Color me skeptical.

Seeing is believing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    every gm in the league would take John Wall without hesitation.

you are much retard. i like you. i like sex.

Saw a basketball once pumpinbullets23's Avatar

I would certainly pick John Wall. At his size and position, Wall plays as if he could play any position. His ability to pass, shoot, dunk, and handling definatley overpowers Griffin anyday. Well, this might be a better way to look at it:

Handling
    Wall>Griffin
    Quickness
    Wall>Griffin
    Pass
    Wall>Griffin
    Shot
    Wall>Griffin
    Inside Game
    Wall=Griffin
    Outside Game
    Wall>Griffin

Most of the skills a player needs, Wall is better at. I'm not saying Griffin doesn't have any of those skills, its just Wall is better at them.

Blake Griffen. I just don't know how John Wall is going to pan out.

I know Blake Griffen is NBA ready, and is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    He missed an entire year due to knee surgery. Color me skeptical.

Seeing is believing.
    He missed an entire year because he needed to heal his broken kneecap. They weren't planning on competing for a Playoff spot this season so they had no real need to play him and potentially injure the knee more similar to Amare in 06' with Phoenix and Gilbert in 08' with Washington. He didn't really blow his knee out, a more catostrophic injury would be a torn ACL or MCL.

Give me Griffin over Wall.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Blake Griffen. I just don't know how John Wall is going to pan out.

I know Blake Griffen is NBA ready, and is a beast.
    How do you know Griffin is NBA ready when he hasn't played an NBA game yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    He missed an entire year because he needed to heal his broken kneecap. They weren't planning on competing for a Playoff spot this season so they had no real need to play him and potentially injure the knee more similar to Amare in 06' with Phoenix and Gilbert in 08' with Washington. He didn't really blow his knee out, a more catostrophic injury would be a torn ACL or MCL.

Give me Griffin over Wall.
    Again, seeing is believing.

Sorry, I'm not budging.