Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default LeBron's 2016 Finals versus Jordan's 1993 finals

We all know the stats, have seen the games, highlights and whatnot...

So which would you say was more impressive given the context?

Personally I think LeBron's might have more historical significance (first title in Cleveland while beating a 73-win team), whereas Jordan had the statistical edge, ie. the legendary 55 point game (and obviously 3-peated).

Default Re: LeBron's 2016 Finals versus Jordan's 1993 finals

I prefer , 16 Finals over any finals of Jordan ; beside of 91.

Good college starter

73 win team. Down 3-1. Against the UMVP who was really about to take Lebron's place.

I think Lebron's was better if you apply context. Leading his team from 3-1 down against a 73 win team while leading both teams in every single statistical measure is crazy.

Jordan
    41 ppg, 9 rpg, 6 apg on 51%fg

Lebron
    30 ppg, 11 rpg, 9 apg on 49%fg

Both were incredible. But Lebron's achievement was greater, I think.

Facts Are Misleading

Jordan did 41/8.5/6.3 on 56 TS% incredible scoring production.

He almost doubled the second leading scorers scoring production.

Every game was decided by 10 points or less as well.

Jordan

After seeing Phoenix's defense in that series, Lebron wins it easily.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

LeBron is more impressive in terms of context. Warriors had 73 wins. Iggy and Green great defenders. Curry was the unanimous MVP. And no team in the finals came back from a 1-3 deficit. LBJ played amazing for about 3 games in a row to get his team back in it. LBJ also lead everyone in both teams in every single category. That's amazing. At the best of my knowledge, I think Bird was the closest to achieve that, but on his own team. Wilt I imagine did that tho.

MJ was amazing too. The Suns were a great team (not as impressive as the Warriors tho), Barkley was in his MVP year. They couldn't guard MJ. They gave him multiple defenders from Kevin Johnson to Dan Majerle, who was a solid defender. MJ holds the record for the most ppg ever in the finals too.

In both series, their teams were the underdog and both faced MVPs of that season. But LBJ more so. Nobody really expected them to win and the performance that we got.

In terms of stats only, then MJ. You rarely see 40 ppg period, let alone on that efficient shooting, and MJ did 41. The closest player to do this on this efficient shooting was Shaq in 2000 with 38 ppg on 61% shooting. If you want to go back to the 60s, then Elign Baylor and Rick Barry with 40.6 ppg and 40.8 respectively. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, MJ could've had more points if he would've made his FTs. He was off that series.

But if you put in the context, LeBron. I think it means more. While MJ would be on the record books in terms of ppg, LBJ did lead both teams in every statistic category, beat a 73 win team, completely outplayed the first unanimous MVP, came back from from a 1-3 deficit, and brought the first title to Cleveland in a very long time, beat Warriors in game 7 on the road, and the first ever in the NBA. The context of this is more significant.
    Last edited by Micku; 07-03-2016 at 04:24 PM.

It's very close, but you have to give the edge to LeBron. As others have said, just much more historical significance. Bringing a city it's first championship in over half a century, becoming the first team ever in the finals to overcome a 3-1 deficit, dethroning the defending champions who just won an NBA record 73 games, making the UMVP look like a joke, leading both teams in every major statistical category...

I mean the list goes on and on. Have to go with LeBron on this one.

looking at just the context, Lebron's is most likely moreimpressive. Faced a stronger team especially on defense and won 2 games on the road coming back from 3-1. Ofc some other context is he's part of the reason they fell 3-1. I still lean Jordan overall however, his stats are better and he had fewer mediocre games.

Given the Phoenix defense, its easily LeBron for me...

'91 finals is more interesting.

But what LeBron did...

-No team had ever come back from down 1-3 in the NBA finals (LeBron did it the hard way, 2/3 road games!)

-Only two teams had forced a game 7 after down 1-3 in the NBA finals (1951 Knicks, 1966 Lakers), and no team since after the first 17 years of the league's existance.

-Home teams were 15-3 in NBA Finals Game 7's / Road teams were 3-15 in NBA Finals Game 7's

-Played highest/#1 record team in NBA history, 73-win Warriors

-Warriors didn't lose 3 straight games since 2013

-Warriors lost back-to-back games ONCE the season (regular season and playoffs)

-Warriors weren't beaten back to back at home the last two seasons.

-Away Game at the loudest Arena in the NBA.

Both historical victories and in my top five finals performances.

Pure numbers and performance, MJ. First 3 peat since Russell Celtics. Barkley was considered MVP. Bulls were under dogs in two straight series vs Knicks and Suns. Both won 60 or more games. And the Bulls led by Jordan beat the best defensive and offensive team. But Phoenix wasn't a great defense and Thunder Dan, KJ, and Dumas flat out couldn't guard Mike. Even though Chicago needed all 41 ppg from MJ to be competitive. Amazing efficiency too.

Context included? I go with LeBron.

73 win team. "Unanimous" and back to back MVP. Down 3-1. First Cleveland championship in multiple decades. Won it for his hometown. Put up major numbers being guarded by quality man defenders in Iggy, Green and Barnes. Quality team defense. Led both teams in every statistical category.

Just, wow. For awhile, even coming back from 3-1 to Choklahoma who made them look mortal for a second, GSW in this year's NBA felt near unbeatable.

LeBron with sidekick Kyrie took a piss on all of it. Both guarded by quality defenders. Loved it.
    Last edited by SamuraiSWISH; 07-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Both historical victories and in my top five finals performances.

Pure numbers and performance, MJ. First 3 peat since Russell Celtics. Barkley was considered MVP. Bulls were under dogs in two straight series vs Knicks and Suns. Both won 60 or more games. And the Bulls led by Jordan beat the best defensive and offensive team. But Phoenix wasn't a great defense and Thunder Dan, KJ, and Dumas flat out couldn't guard Mike. Even though Chicago needed all 41 ppg from MJ to be competitive. Amazing efficiency too.

Context included? I go with LeBron.

73 win team. "Unanimous" and back to back MVP. Down 3-1. First Cleveland championship in multiple decades. Won it for his hometown. Put up major numbers being guarded by quality man defenders in Iggy, Green and Barnes. Quality team defense. Led both teams in every statistical category.

Just, wow. For awhile, even coming back from 3-1 to Choklahoma who made them look mortal for a second, GSW in this year's NBA felt near unbeatable.

LeBron with sidekick Kyrie took a piss on all of it. Both guarded by quality defenders. Loved it.
    That's the series where it made me realize that Curry was a bit overrated. If he wasn't scoring, he wasn't doing anything really elite. And it's not like he is like KD, who tend to his point averages no matter what. I expected Curry to excel in playmaking more, and to run the offense better, but it didn't happen. I didn't think he was the best player in the series, but he had the best team.

And the Warriors did look beatable there. I was thinking about all of the teams in history that could give them mismatches. They honestly had trouble with Steven Adams out there. And the second chance points was killer.

I thought the Thunder were better than the Cavs this year. The Thunder surprising had beat the Spurs team, and played some good defense against the Warriors. And I figured if the Thunder couldn't do it, then the Cavs wouldn't be able to. Boy, I was wrong.

And probably the main reason why they had trouble with the Thunder and lost to the Cavs is because Curry underperformed, especially compared to his regular season numbers. To me, it simultaneously showed how good his team was and how underwhelming Curry performance was in the playoffs. You can argue that the dude was the third best player for two series in a row.
    Last edited by Micku; 07-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Recovering from 3-1 down romanticises the story but ignores that they were down 3-1 in the first place in part due to LeBron under performing. I thought we were comparing the entire series, not just the last 3 games.

MJ was the better player and performed better in these two respective finals.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

MJ didn't have to get the comish to suspend the other team's best defensive player