Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Magic Johnson

Default Re: Mike Brown: Blake might start for the rest of the year

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. i think he wants to keep blake motivated and his head in the game. best way to do that? make it seem like he's comparable to sessions and has a shot at starting over him. plus, it's just a certain level of respect.

if he's seriously rigid about this, then i don't even know
    If that comment keeps Blake motivated then it also tears Sessions down. He should've just said may the best man win. What a bozo.

Honestly i think this is just the PC answer right here.

If Blake was meant to start, he would have BEEN given the keys over Fish a loooooooooooooooooong time ago.

He's backing Blake who has already been on the team awhile, but the reality is....Sessions was brought on board, to gel with the team, and be given the keys eventually.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

As someone who has watched almost every game Sessions has played over the course of the last two seasons, I think that his best role is coming off of the bench. Let Blake start games, bring Sessions in toward the end of the first quarter and let him play through to midway through the second. In the second half, adjust the rotation a bit so that Sessions is on the floor at the close of games.

He is a much, much better player as instant energy off of the bench than he is starting a game. He will also transform your bench from a liability into an asset. He can get starter minutes without actually being the starter.

It would be the intelligent thing to do. Then again, Brown may eventually cave to the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    If that comment keeps Blake motivated then it also tears Sessions down. He should've just said may the best man win. What a bozo.
    I'm sure Sessions is devastated. He was just the backup for the Cavs... And he performed much better as opposed to when he was a starter for us.

The guy is a true professional. Trust me, he isn't worried about it.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'm sure Sessions is devastated. He was just the backup for the Cavs... And he performed much better as opposed to when he was a starter for us.

The guy is a true professional. Trust me, he isn't worried about it.
    I'm sure you knew what I meant.

I'd be pretty depressed if my coach told the media another player, one who couldn't start over Derek Fisher, was probably going to start the rest of the year.

I'm pretty sure Mitch didn't trade a first-round pick for a bench player though lol

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I'm sure you knew what I meant.

I'd be pretty depressed if my coach told the media another player, one who couldn't start over Derek Fisher, was probably going to start the rest of the year.
    Being pretty familiar with Sessions and his outlook/demeanor, I doubt he gives two sh!ts. Like I said... True professional... Never got mixed up in trying to 'get his' or 'be the man.' He went through one of the toughest situations an NBA player will ever face last year when he was the starter during the Cavs' 26-game losing streak.

A lot of fans were lobbying that he be replaced as the starter. It was just a bad scene, all the way around. You would have never known it from Sessions... He remained as cool as possible. Then, when we got Baron Davis and he eventually became the starter, Sessions absolutely flourished in his backup role.

Part of me wonders if he might want to come off of the bench... He is just a better player in that role. Maybe he has already talked to Brown about it? None of us know.

I just think that this may be a good idea and I don't think he cares what Brown is saying to the media in terms of who is the starter. Sessions will get starter minutes. At the end of the day, that is the most important thing. Who cares which guys are out there when they tip the ball?
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 03-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    I'm pretty sure Mitch didn't trade a first-round pick for a bench player though lol
    That is just a crazy way to look at it. When the Lakers were winning titles with Odom coming off the bench, was he 'just a bench player,' or was he a unique and absolutely vital piece?

When the great Pistons teams were running through the NBA in the 80s, one of their most important players was Vinnie Johnson... He was the 6th man.

There are endless of examples of guys not being starters and having hugely vital roles on championship teams.

As someone who has watched almost every game Sessions has played over the course of the last two seasons, I think that his best role is coming off of the bench. Let Blake start games, bring Sessions in toward the end of the first quarter and let him play through to midway through the second. In the second half, adjust the rotation a bit so that Sessions is on the floor at the close o f games.

He is a much, much better player as instant energy off of the bench than he is starting a game. He will also transform your bench from a liability into an asset. He can get starter minutes without actually being the starter.

It would be the intelligent thing to do. Then again, Brown may eventually cave to the fans.
    Agreed. He gives the 2nd unit a jolt in that he'll run transition with Barnes and just get more out of them than Blake. Blake plays better off of Kobe since he's a better shooter so they may not want to mess with that too quickly. This doesn't mean Blake will play more minutes and im sure Sessions will get the job eventually.

Magic Johnson

Being pretty familiar with Sessions and his outlook/demeanor, I doubt he gives two sh!ts. Like I said... True professional... Never got mixed up in trying to 'get his' or 'be the man.' He went through one of the toughest situations last year when he was the starter the entire time during the Cavs' 26-game losing streak.

A lot of fans were lobbying that he be replaced as the starter. It was just a bad scene, all the way around. You would have never known it from Sessions... He remained as cool as possible. Then, when we got Baron Davis and he eventually became the starter, Sessions absolutely flourished in his backup role.

Part of me wonders if he might want to come off of the bench... He is just a better player in that role. Maybe he has already talked to Brown about it? None of us know.

I just think that this may be a good idea and I don't think he cares what Brown is saying to the media in terms of who is the starter. Sessions will get starter minutes. At the end of the day, that is the most important thing. Who cares which guys are out there when they tip the ball?
    Well said. I just can't stand Mike Brown. I've lost any respect I had for him after he apologized for calling out Kobe's shot selection.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

After reading the comments by Lakers fans over the past few days I have learned that Sessions is an all-star PG, and thus starting Blake over him would be a bad move.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    After reading the comments by Lakers fans over the past few days I have learned that Sessions is an all-star PG and thus starting Blake over him would be a bad move.
    You need to get your reading comprehension checked.

Gottta agree w/ RBA here, watched Sessions interviewed a few times since he came to LA, dude seems like a real down-to-earth and chill guy.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Gottta agree w/ RBA here, watched Sessions interviewed a few times since he came to LA, dude seems like a real down-to-earth and chill guy.
    The anti-Kobe, if you will.

Very good NBA starter

jesus Mike Brown is this guy serious?