Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Revisiting 2004 Finals: Shaquille O'neal's sheer dominance

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Now that I think about it, saying O'Neal 3-peated on his own might be a bit too extreme. I have to give props where props are due. The likes of Glen Rice, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry and Rick Fox had some great moments as well.
    Refs rigging 2 rings for them should take some props too.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    "exploit doubles and triples"

Fisher and GP couldn't shoot a three to save their lives & Malone was injured & old, hence why the Pistons got away with doing what they did. Go look at how good the team shot outside of Shaq and Kobe, Kobe was more effective than Fisher & GP despite him being double/triple covered.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqvN7CE00xI
    here you are this is game 3 the pictures kenneth posted, go and f*cking show me double/triple teamed
    mosty all of his "double teams" is after screen help defence
    btw rip dropped 31 straight on him
    Last edited by zeerghit; 02-02-2019 at 09:39 AM.

That was by far the worst finals series I've seen by a top 15 player. 38% shooting with some horrific basketball on display, taking one ill-advised shot after another, instead of giving it to Shaw who was killing his man.

He single handily lost them that finals. What was supposed to be a procession turned into the biggest clusterfark in one history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    Refs rigging 2 rings for them should take some props too.
    Obviously, put I feel like such petty things tend to take away from performances. Peak for peak, O’Neal is as good as anyone. Rigged or not, we must acknowledge the things O’Neal did in those years, without any significant star support. He was so good, he could probably win the title with any NBA player as his #2 option.

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

I remember all those rings he won alongside guys like Eddie Jones and Penny Hardaway.

ANY SG will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    That was by far the worst finals series I've seen by a top 15 player. 38% shooting with some horrific basketball on display, taking one ill-advised shot after another, instead of giving it to Shaw who was killing his man.

He single handily lost them that finals. What was supposed to be a procession turned into the biggest clusterfark in one history.
    Brian Shaw retired in 2003. Sorry bud.

Shaq averaged 14 shots and 10 FTA per game in RS of 2004, he was well past his physical prime. He was a liability defending the P&R (Pistons exposed this) and he was gassed by every 4th quarter.

Pistons played into that by covering Shaq man-to-man with a 6-8 Ben Wallace, making the Lakers go to him over & over again to wear him out and to keep the ball out of Kobe's hands. Lakers played into this and kept feeding Shaq, but they couldn't stop the Pistons on the other end & eventually Shaq was either in foul trouble, tired or both.

So, as I said, Shaq averaged 14 FGA 10 FTA for the 2004 season, he averaged ~17 FGA 11 FTA in the Finals. So he got more touches than he did all season/Playoffs (he averaged 13 FGA the first 3 rounds) and he was basically getting an equal amount of touches with Kobe.

The morons here will point to the difference in their FGA & will completely overlook the fact that Shaq shot 30 more freethrows than Kobe in the series & they'll completely overlook his turnovers (6 in Game 1 home loss), they also overlook the fact that Kobe played 20 more minutes in the series than Shaq, who got fatigued and who had to sit due to foul trouble.

The Lakers also had their worst loss of the series when Kobe had the lowest amount of shots, what did Shaq do in that game? He only got 2 free throws and finished with 14 points and 8 rebounds. So much for MDE dominating in a game where Kobe's willingly passing the ball up.

And Duncan won the FMVP the following year by averaging less points than Kobe on almost identical efficiency.

I agree with what the poster above me is saying. Kobe single handily lost that series I'm glad we agree

I agree with what the poster above me is saying. Kobe single handily lost that series I'm glad we agree
    I wouldn't go that far. None of the role players stepped up in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    I wouldn't go that far. None of the role players stepped up in the series.
    I agree with you. Glenn Rice wasn't replaced adequately. Nobody was there to help Shaq!

I agree with you. Glenn Rice wasn't replaced adequately. Nobody was there to help Shaq!
    More or less, yes. That's why it seems a bit extreme to me to put the blame of the loss of a series on just one role player. They all played under par. They often say about players that they play 1 v 5 because of individualism, but Shaq had to play 1 v 5 since he had no reliable second option to free him up some more. It was O'Neal, a bunch of role players, and a bunch of have beens.

not only that but the Pistons' strategy going into the series was all about knowing that Kobe would chuck Lakers out of it if they gave him a little nudge

Yikes

22-4-3 on 38% FG and 17% from 3

This is just sad

[QUOTE=Uncle Drew]Obviously, put I feel like such petty things tend to take away from performances. Peak for peak, O

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork
    I remember all those rings he won alongside guys like Eddie Jones and Penny Hardaway.

ANY SG will do.
    I must have missed O'Neal being in his peak in 1995 or 1998. Amazing post once more. Keep it up. We know you got it in ya.