Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Spurs Bucks - The NBA Contrarians

So I was looking a few stats today, and made a youtube video on it (I doubt anyone here would have much interest in my ramblings with excel but if you're looking to be bored https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdojKI211s).

Anyway a few images to make the point.

So the last few years starting around 2012 or 2013 the trend of 3 point attempts started to sky rocket, we'll see where it stops. Anyway this year we have 5 teams that are really in the "old" zones all be it not THAT old.

Anyway 3 of those teams suck as shooting so that's smart and indicates at least with memphis they're not built like other teams. However interestingly the Spurs and Bucks are both good to (great in the spur's case) 3 point shooting teams but they are shooting far less.

Now clearly with say the spurs we get a mix of aldridge and leonard are mid range shooters but again how are they not able to create similar balance given their efficiency from 3?

Sorry I guess this is a real basketball question and not trolling, but I figure the 1% here into basketball might have some thoughts.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Spurs Bucks - The NBA Contrarians

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    So I was looking a few stats today, and made a youtube video on it (I doubt anyone here would have much interest in my ramblings with excel but if you're looking to be bored https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdojKI211s).

Anyway a few images to make the point.

So the last few years starting around 2012 or 2013 the trend of 3 point attempts started to sky rocket, we'll see where it stops. Anyway this year we have 5 teams that are really in the "old" zones all be it not THAT old.

Anyway 3 of those teams suck as shooting so that's smart and indicates at least with memphis they're not built like other teams. However interestingly the Spurs and Bucks are both good to (great in the spur's case) 3 point shooting teams but they are shooting far less.

Now clearly with say the spurs we get a mix of aldridge and leonard are mid range shooters but again how are they not able to create similar balance given their efficiency from 3?

Sorry I guess this is a real basketball question and not trolling, but I figure the 1% here into basketball might have some thoughts.

Well to me it seems the natural answer is that they convert a good percentage of them because theyre selective. If they took more of them and compromised the quality of the shooter's look at the basket to get more 3's up, their percentage would go down.

Banned

David Aldridge Lmao

Banned

As far as what type of passing generates the most efficient 3pt shot

Kickouts from post ups are the most efficient. GSW/SAS/CLE are all doing a lot of this to my knowledge

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    David Aldridge Lmao
    You know that sounded wrong when I said it....lol

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Well to me it seems the natural answer is that they convert a good percentage of them because theyre selective. If they took more of them and compromised the quality of the shooter's look at the basket to get more 3's up, their percentage would go down.
    That's reasonable by all means, but again we only have 2 teams who shoot the ball really well who don't shoot it a lot. So there's more to it than that. It's intentional.

NBA lottery pick

As far as what type of passing generates the most efficient 3pt shot

Kickouts from post ups are the most efficient. GSW/SAS/CLE are all doing a lot of this to my knowledge
    How many post ups do the warriors run? Even cleveland I'm not sure that's a BIG part of their offense.

Banned

How many post ups do the warriors run? Even cleveland I'm not sure that's a BIG part of their offense.
    Here's an article on the topic
    http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/12/3-...ill-never-die/

I feel like Pop is always one step ahead of the rest. They have a real complete offense right now

NBA lottery pick

Here's an article on the topic
    http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/12/3-...ill-never-die/

I feel like Pop is always one step ahead of the rest. They have a real complete offense right now
    Great video and the way they set it I fully agree. The post pass out is the best way to setup a 3 point shot. Though I don't see the cavs anywhere on that leaders list and the spurs clearly excel elsewhere as does curry on just his shooting off the dribble.

The area however I wanted to get at are the teams who are outside the norm on the good shooting low attempts or I'd be interested in the high shooting but now good accuracy examples (if we leave out the teams with awful records).

Banned

I think having multiple skilled bigs make this team so good. Diaw/Duncan/Aldridge/West

They like to play these guys at the elbow/high post and it really flows well with their cutting, willing slashing and shooting. Rounded out perfect by bigs that can make the pass and hit the midrange deuce. I see a bit of 02' Adelman Kings action in this team.

Banned

The high post has become a lost art

NBA lottery pick

I think having multiple skilled bigs make this team so good. Diaw/Duncan/Aldridge/West

They like to play these guys at the elbow/high post and it really flows well with their cutting, willing slashing and shooting. Rounded out perfect by bigs that can make the pass and hit the midrange deuce. I see a bit of 02' Adelman Kings action in this team.
    Hard to argue with 3rd in offensive rating results. Still it's an interesting shift from a team that was so heavy on 3's.

What do you expect if green finds his shot though? I'd expect a vertical move up in the attempt rate.

Banned

The rockets are what's wrong with basketball, and humans in general

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    The rockets are what's wrong with basketball, and humans in general
    As long as they have an above average record....

Banned

As long as they have an above average record....

Do they?