Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: What if Magic wasn't injured in 1989 NBA Finals?

Having earlier indicated my leanings that Magic alone would not have sufficiently impacted the balance of the series, I'd like to throw another thought out there.

With a healthy LA backcourt the series could have gone either way, which leads me to my point that it is easy, when looking at hypotheticals, to say that it would definitely have gone this way or that, as though events were predetermined, partially because, we look back on history from the perspective of looking back along the chosen path. I suppose in even entertaining counterfactuals (or "what if"s) we are acknowledging that events were not predestined, but as soon as we suggest an alternate history we become confident of what "would" have happened, as though tiny changes in a players pregame feelings, or the bounce of the first shot of the game don't change or set the dynamics for what may happen later.

Not to drag this off topic but this is why I dislike the "rings" argument for comparing/ranking individual players. It implies the inevitability of events turning out as they did (not to say that hypothetical scenarios should carry the same weight as actual events, just it seems harsh/sad that tiny changes could hugely alter how we percieve players).

Crazy ramblings over.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Magic was also aided by Worthy missing TWO FTs in the last 41 seconds of that game four, as well. And "Big Game" James (and BTW, he really was), also lost the Lakers game two with a horrible cross-court inbounds pass while Magic was standing right next to him.

Kareem didn't help too much either, only shooting .481 in that series, including a game five meltdown of 7-25 from the floor.

As for "Tragic Johnson", all he did in that series was lead the Lakers in rebounding, at 7.7 rpg, average 18.1 ppg, hand out 13.6 apg, and shoot .560 from the floor.
    It's very, very simple....

-- Magic choked, in crunch time, in games 2, 4 and 7.

-- If Magic didn't choke, in crunch time, in games 2, 4 and 7, the Lakers would have won the championship.

-- It wasn't like he had to take the game over, or make a spectacular play. No, all he needed to do was not CHOKE. He couldn't manage it.

-- "Kareem didn't help too much either" - Are you joking? A 27/7/4/2/2 is not helping? Seriously, you are FIXATED on efficiency. You are a FG% addict. I think you should seek some professional help.

But seeing as you are obsessed with efficiency....It's funny, I've seen you write multiple times that Bird went 6-18 in that game 7 WIN for Boston. I've never seen you mention that Magic was 5-14, and had 7 turnovers in that same game 7 LOSS for L.A! You have curious double standards.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brickz187
    How much higher can Magic go? Most people I know have him as the best or 2nd behind Jordan.
    You must live in LA, then, because the notion that Magic is GOAt or even #2 all time is certainly a minority opinion. Jordan and KAJ have the top 2 spots locked up, with Russell right there for a sizeable contingent based on his winning. Don't forget Wilt. I have Magic at #5 personally, but anywhere from 4-6 is reasonable. #3 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall

You must live in LA, then, because the notion that Magic is GOAt or even #2 all time is certainly a minority opinion. Jordan and KAJ have the top 2 spots locked up, with Russell right there for a sizeable contingent based on his winning. Don't forget Wilt. I have Magic at #5 personally, but anywhere from 4-6 is reasonable. #3 tops.
    Wilt Chamberlain says hi.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    It's very, very simple....

-- Magic choked, in crunch time, in games 2, 4 and 7.

-- If Magic didn't choke, in crunch time, in games 2, 4 and 7, the Lakers would have won the championship.

-- It wasn't like he had to take the game over, or make a spectacular play. No, all he needed to do was not CHOKE. He couldn't manage it.

-- "Kareem didn't help too much either" - Are you joking? A 27/7/4/2/2 is not helping? Seriously, you are FIXATED on efficiency. You are a FG% addict. I think you should seek some professional help.

But seeing as you are obsessed with efficiency....It's funny, I've seen you write multiple times that Bird went 6-18 in that game 7 WIN for Boston. I've never seen you mention that Magic was 5-14, and had 7 turnovers in that same game 7 LOSS for L.A! You have curious double standards.
    Magic AND Bird BOTH played poorly in game seven. At least by THEIR normal standards. BUT, if you think Magic CHOKED in crunchtime in games two and four, the man was BRILLIANT for nearly the entire game in BOTH.

In game two, Magic put up a 27 point game, on 10-14 shooting, with a team-high 10 rebounds and 9 assists. And YES, once again, as he did in game five, Kareem shot poorly. He had a 20 point, on 9-22 shooting game. Had he hit even ONE more FGA LA would not only have won that game, they would have won the series. Of course, Worthy's botched pass is what really cost the Lakers in "crunchtime", but here again, I find it pretty difficult to blame him, either, with a 29 point game, on 11-12 shooting from the field.

In game four, all Magic did was put up his usual triple-double, with a 20 point game, on 8-12 shooting, with a team high 11 rebounds, and 17 assists. And again, Kareem shot rather poorly, for him, as he went 12-25 from the floor. Had he had a normal shooting game, and LA would have won that game, as well as the series.
    Last edited by jlauber; 02-02-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

If 'if's and but's' were candy and nuts, we'd all have a real good Christmas.

No point in speculating when injuries have been a factor in NBA Finals lore for ever. If there were mulligans for injuries, NBA history would be much different, and that sword would likely cut both directions.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by EllEffEll
    If 'if's and but's' were candy and nuts, we'd all have a real good Christmas.

No point in speculating when injuries have been a factor in NBA Finals lore for ever. If there were mulligans for injuries, NBA history would be much different, and that sword would likely cut both directions.
    Unfortunately, very true. I have long maintained that the REAL best team did not win an NBA title in '68, or '84, and I'm sure some might add other's like the '02 Kings (although I wouldn't agree.)

Having said that, however, when a player of Magic's caliber goes down in a series in which the opposing team eked out wins in the three games (or 2 1/2 of you like) that he missed, it certainly is an interesting "what if."

Decent playground baller

Magic's and Scott's presence would have made the 89 Finals a lot better, at least, but that is how the breaks go.

The Lakers always seemed to get more than their fair share of breaks throughout history. You can't win em' all.

National High School Star

I have long maintained that the REAL best team did not win an NBA title in '68, or '84, and I'm sure some might add other's like the '02 Kings (although I wouldn't agree.)
    Of course a Laker fan would be happy with the way events turned out in 2002, and wouldn't agree the best team didn't win.

Banned

What if Isiah wasn't injured in the 1988 Finals?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Of course a Laker fan would be happy with the way events turned out in 2002, and wouldn't agree the best team didn't win.
    The game six officiating was deplorable to be sure, but many forget that it was just as awful in game five, and against the Lakers. All anyone needs to know about that game five, was that Shaq took ONE FT. The officiating was every bit as one-sided in that game, as it was in game six.

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lover
    What if Isiah wasn't injured in the 1988 Finals?
    Then the Pistons end the series in game 6 and go on to 3 peat resulting in different legacies for Isiah and Dantley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    For me, it wouldn't change his rank at all. I have him as the third best ever.
    Same except i have him 2nd.

The Pistons were the best team by '89. They were at least equal to the Lakers in '88 as well.

Magic AND Bird BOTH played poorly in game seven. At least by THEIR normal standards. BUT, if you think Magic CHOKED in crunchtime in games two and four, the man was BRILLIANT for nearly the entire game in BOTH.

In game two, Magic put up a 27 point game, on 10-14 shooting, with a team-high 10 rebounds and 9 assists. And YES, once again, as he did in game five, Kareem shot poorly. He had a 20 point, on 9-22 shooting game. Had he hit even ONE more FGA LA would not only have won that game, they would have won the series. Of course, Worthy's botched pass is what really cost the Lakers in "crunchtime", but here again, I find it pretty difficult to blame him, either, with a 29 point game, on 11-12 shooting from the field.

In game four, all Magic did was put up his usual triple-double, with a 20 point game, on 8-12 shooting, with a team high 11 rebounds, and 17 assists. And again, Kareem shot rather poorly, for him, as he went 12-25 from the floor. Had he had a normal shooting game, and LA would have won that game, as well as the series.
    You are a world class cherry picker.

Yes, of course, Magic had a great game for 3 1/2 quarters of games 2 and 4.....but.....SO WHAT??? What is the friggin point in playing well for most of the game, and then stinking up the joint in crunch time, when it matters most?

That's what Wilt did his entire career!

Magic was one of the most clutch players of all time, but.....come on. You are being blinded by STATS again. L.A should have beaten Boston! You said it yourself! Magic failed big time.