Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Default Phil Jackson breaks down the Knicks roster player by player

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2014/s...obile&rand=ref

good read, i always find his insights interesting

two snippets

JACKSON ON: Carmelo Anthony, F
    "Carmelo Anthony is obviously the team's only certified All-Star. It's also no secret that Melo has to keep the ball moving, but he's committed to doing this. Passing has never been a great strength of his, but in the triangle he'll be able to have check-off reads like a quarterback looking for his first-option receiver, then his second and then his third. There'll be plenty of iso opportunities for Melo, and in the triangle it'll be very difficult for defenses to double-team him. It won't be like last season where he had to take clutch shots with a gang of defenders in his face. Also look for Melo to get a bunch of post-up looks."

JACKSON ON: Amar'e Stoudemire, PF/C
    "One of the keys to the season will be the play of Amar'e Stoudemire. Although his tender knees will require his playing time and his practice time to be carefully monitored, we hope he'll be able to play four rotations of eight minutes per game. That's because Stoudemire can still be a potent scorer. He can get to the middle when he's in the low post, and in screen-rolls he's a threat to either screen-and-pop or drive to the hoop. Playing adequate defense is a real challenge for him and he's also got to improve his rebounding. The preseason will also discover whether Amar'e is more effective playing the 4 or the 5 positions."

Default Re: Phil Jackson breaks down the Knicks roster player by player

Thanks - enjoyed that. Breaking it down, it's easy to see that the Knicks will need some time to improve within the system, and need to make a few roster changes over the next year or two. I certainly don't plan on seeing them in the playoffs this season (barring a major trade), but I won't be upset if these guys respond to the new coach and changes. I've seen all the Vegas and pre-season games thus far, and have enjoyed the brief flashes of chemistry emerging - floor spacing, assists and demeanor.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

The Zen Master's remarks here are essentially constructive criticism at its very best.

I thought he gave Carmelo a grade 'F' for a moment

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Off the top of my head....2010 is the only particularly good season anyone has had running the triangle exclusively...without Tex Winter at least on the staff. It isnt some magic wand that fixes bad teams. Tex couldnt make it work himself on the Rockets...mostly because of a superstar used to being a top tier scorer(Elvin Hayes).

Its easy to bend a system for Jordan/Pippen Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Gasol to work in it.

It didnt do so well in 06 or 07 without bigtime talent....

And Phil and tex were there to teach it. Fisher?

Id like to see him do well....ill be a Phil fan for life. But this isnt easy.

Look at JR Smiths comments today:

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The adjustment to the triangle offense has been "a struggle" for J.R. Smith, and it isn't just because the system is foreign to him.

A candid Smith admitted that he must alter his shooter mentality and wrap his mind around the team-first concept being preached by Knicks coach Derek Fisher and president Phil Jackson. And it hasn't been the smoothest transition for the former Sixth Man of the Year, who has been trying not to force shots.

"Yeah, absolutely," Smith said when asked if he has had to make a conscious effort to play differently. "I mean, believe it or not, being the type of player I've been, it's a struggle. I'm not going to lie.

"Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before," Smith continued. "I've always been in a situation to score, [now I'm] in position to take my time and let the game come and let my teammates succeed more than myself, I think that's the ultimate win."

Good that hes trying...but he, Amare, and Melo...that isnt exactly starting with a pass prone bunch.

And many teams failed with players one might think could adapt just off the basketball IQ.

Remember the Mavs trying the triangle when they had Kidd, Mashburn, and Jim Jackson?

Kidd ****ed it up there and again in Phoenix...when he played for old Tex assistant...Cotton Fitzsimmons.

And Cotton didnt get it to work with Barkley, Finley, and Kevin Johnson either.

Fisher has the help of Kurt Rambis(Failed to get the triangle working in Minnesota) and Jim Clemons(was involved with the Jason Kidd Mavs who failed).

He has a few guys who got it wrong, players not in love with giving up the ball, and not all that much talent.

Phil might have to takeover a practice or two.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Off the top of my head....2010 is the only particularly good season anyone has had running the triangle exclusively...without Tex Winter at least on the staff. It isnt some magic wand that fixes bad teams. Tex couldnt make it work himself on the Rockets...mostly because of a superstar used to being a top tier scorer(Elvin Hayes).

Its easy to bend a system for Jordan/Pippen Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Gasol to work in it.

It didnt do so well in 06 or 07 without bigtime talent....

And Phil and tex were there to teach it. Fisher?

Id like to see him do well....ill be a Phil fan for life. But this isnt easy.

Look at JR Smiths comments today:

Good that hes trying...but he, Amare, and Melo...that isnt exactly starting with a pass prone bunch.

And many teams failed with players one might think could adapt just off the basketball IQ.

Remember the Mavs trying the triangle when they had Kidd, Mashburn, and Jim Jackson?

Kidd ****ed it up there and again in Phoenix...when he played for old Tex assistant...Cotton Fitzsimmons.

And Cotton didnt get it to work with Barkley, Finley, and Kevin Johnson either.

Fisher has the help of Kurt Rambis(Failed to get the triangle working in Minnesota) and Jim Clemons(was involved with the Jason Kidd Mavs who failed).

He has a few guys who got it wrong, players not in love with giving up the ball, and not all that much talent.

Phil might have to takeover a practice or two.....

Eh....

J.R. and Amare won't be around next year, IMO. This is why I'm good with this youth movement. Victories like last night's will lead the way - look at the assists the team has been stacking. Melo is the only one with a green light for shooting, anyways. PJ is all about getting the right pieces, and cats like Amare, Bargs and J.R. aren't in the equation. Also, the Triangle may be the bread and butter of the Knick's system, but I don't think Fish will be adverse to mixing it up a little. It's gonna take a year or two. Fans will have to become more intelligent and get over the chuckfest that the Knicks were allowed to become over the last 10 years. 11 rings will back me up on this.

I knew all along J.R. was gonna be a thorn in the backside. His defense sucks, and now he can't make up for it by taking bad shot after bad shot. Either conform, or go play for the Clippers.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Thing about the triangle is...according to years of listening to Phil and tex discuss it at least...

You really cant mix it up and maintain it on a high enough level to bother.

Phil has said 2 days off and guys come back...noticeably worse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before," Smith continued. "I've always been in a situation to score, [now I'm] in position to take my time and let the game come and let my teammates succeed more than myself, I think that's the ultimate win.
    This clown has such a low basketball IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Thing about the triangle is...according to years of listening to Phil and tex discuss it at least...

You really cant mix it up and maintain it on a high enough level to bother.

Phil has said 2 days off and guys come back...noticeably worse.
    Well, we're gonna need some mentally tough players here, regardless. Something J.R. and Amare are NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    This clown has such a low basketball IQ.
    Needs to go back to China and play with Marbury. Tatoos are MUCH cheaper there.

I like that they're trying to get more burn out of Amare. Dude has to still have something left in the tank, be interesting to see if he can maintain the ~32 mpg that Phil is aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    Thanks - enjoyed that. Breaking it down, it's easy to see that the Knicks will need some time to improve within the system, and need to make a few roster changes over the next year or two. I certainly don't plan on seeing them in the playoffs this season (barring a major trade), but I won't be upset if these guys respond to the new coach and changes. I've seen all the Vegas and pre-season games thus far, and have enjoyed the brief flashes of chemistry emerging - floor spacing, assists and demeanor.
    i haven't seen the knicks at all in preseason. any idea what the projected starting lineup will be? i just don't see any big man on that roster with the passing pedigree to be effective in the triangle

lol @ Phil thinking the triangle won championships and not Shaq, Kobe, and Jordan, Pippen.

NBA Superstar

"Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before," Smith continued.
    This is one of the greatest NBA-related basketball quotes I've ever read.

Is there a link to this full article?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    This is one of the greatest NBA-related basketball quotes I've ever read.

Is there a link to this full article?
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ough-adjust-to