Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Does anyone actually support Guaranteed Contracts?

I'm just curious as to the argument behind being in favor of them, unless of course you receive direct benefit financially from an NBA player.

My personal view is that guaranteed contracts have damaged this sport since they were introduced and they need to be eradicated.

Default Re: Does anyone actually support Guaranteed Contracts?

support them 100%

nfl has non guaranteed contracts. and it is the most volatile, depressing, ****ed up league in the world //

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    support them 100%

nfl has non guaranteed contracts. and it is the most volatile, depressing, ****ed up league in the world //
    That has everything to do with the physicality and frequency of acute injuries associated with football. It is a full contact sport where basketball is a limited contact sport with rules put in place to prohibit substantial contact between players and thus limit injuries.

This is precisely why professional basketball players are the least likely of athletes in the big 4 american sports to undergo an acute, career ending injury with no pre-existing factors.

This is also why NBA players have the longest median careers among professional athletes, at 6 years, while other sports are less than 3 years

What does not make any sense however, is the justification for guaranteed contracts. In what other environment are you 100% guaranteed a wage with no terms for early termination in the event of poor performance?

Yes, let's go ahead and hear the baseball argument. How about we skip to the facts, the median salary in baseball is 1.1 million and the average is 2.5 million. The median salary in the NBA is 2.3 million and the average is 5.2 million. This is despite the fact the NBA generates barely half(7 billion to 3.6 billion) of the revenue that baseball does.

Also given that there is empirical data supporting the hypothesis that NBA players exhibit the "trying harder in contract years and then showing a decline", how are guaranteed contracts good for the league?

How is it a positive that the next decade of a franchise's ability to compete could hinge on whether or not a guy wants to stay in shape/play to his ability? Sure you could use the amnesty clause, once every 5 years like that's going to permanent solution.
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 10-23-2014 at 12:30 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Its definitely more fair to the players. The alternative would change nothing except marginally making billionaires richer and increasing the sad stories of ex NBA players going broke.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    support them 100%

The NFL is by far the most successful of the 4 major american pro sports leagues

Local High School Star

Why do guaranteed contracts even exist? The owners could easily decide to shut that down and do what the NFL does instead.

It's not like the players have some other league to go to if the owners decide to strike for an indefinite period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    The NFL is by far the most successful of the 4 major american pro sports leagues
    Because Americans are stupid, not because of the contract situations.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Why do guaranteed contracts even exist? The owners could easily decide to shut that down and do what the NFL does instead.

It's not like the players have some other league to go to if the owners decide to strike for an indefinite period of time.
    What's the point of a contract if it doesn't guarantee both parties of something?

Why are you siding with billionaires instead of millionaires?

players like Trevor Ariza are the consequences of guaranteed contracts.

we would be seeing better basketball with non-guaranteed contracts.

but the best solution would be yearly contracts instead of multi-year deals.

yes, it would suck for players that would get injured, but at least teams wouldn't be tied to an injured player, paying him millions just to take up cap and roster space.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    What's the point of a contract if it doesn't guarantee both parties of something?

Yeah, OP is a dummy. These athletes spend 10+ years developing to get to the league. If they get hurt ON THE JOB they should still get paid. However, I think max contracts should be 3 years. I'm not a big fan of 5 etc year contracts. It's ridiculous...both for injury reasons and for who knows what happens to the player reasons.

Basically this. These guys get hurt on the job, but not like I really give a damn about the owners or players. It just forces them to be smarter with their contract decisions. Which is better for us if you really want us to talk about how it affects the game.

Never doubted your knowledge.

How often do you hear a NBA owner goes bankrupt? But I bet you read a lot of headlines about professional athlete going broke

I'm fine with the NFL model. Just pay the athletes up front. Instead of giving an NBA player a 5 year deal worth $60 million... just give them $40 million up front, and $20 million over 5 years. That way the team can cut or trade the player at any time, instead of getting stuck with contracts like Amare Stoudemire that ruin a franchise for its duration.

Banned

@ you must be siding with the owners if you aren't in favor of guaranteed contracts.

WRONG. I'd siding with the teams to give them the maximum ability to put forth the best product on a nightly basis and therefore give their fans a team worth watching. Not hurr durr, our gm just got fired for sucking but we're still stuck with the mess he made via Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, Stephon Marbury, etc. and will be irrelevant for the next 4 years.

Nonguaranteed contracts lead to better basketball, PERIOD.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Yeah, OP is a dummy. These athletes spend 10+ years developing to get to the league. If they get hurt ON THE JOB they should still get paid. However, I think max contracts should be 3 years. I'm not a big fan of 5 etc year contracts. It's ridiculous...both for injury reasons and for who knows what happens to the player reasons.
    Oh ya? Doctors spend 10+ years in school to practice medicine, I guess we should just let them do whatever the hell they want to without repercussions too, right? Who cares if they kill a few dozen people out of negligence next year, they're doing what they trained half their life for. They earned this right.