Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who are the Greatest Third Options in NBA History?

James Worthy is first to come to mind.

Detlef Schrempf was a pretty sick 3rd option.

Tim Hardaway in the Run TMC days.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Don't talk abou that, it depresses me! Haha, there was this video of game 5 on youtube and it basically cut out the first quarter and I was like "wtf I came here to watch Scottie go off in the first quarter and you don't even have it!" lol. I was so upset. A lot of people get on Scottie because he didn't just demand the ball and take over during their 4th quarter collapse in game 7 vs the Blazers, but the fact of the matter is...the Blazers got a lot of good shots...they just didn't make them. Everything just went to hell. They weren't playing bad basketball...they just weren't hitting the shots they were taking.
    Yeah, even Sheed missed a few shots in a row during that crucial stretch, and he had been killing the Lakers all series, especially since his ejection in game 1. The Blazers had so many other guys who could go off, though. Pippen did, Smith was very good all series offensively, but at times, looked unstoppable with that smooth fadeaway in the post and it was Smith's incredible shooting in the 3rd that initially gave Portland the big lead. Really an amazing stretch, hitting long 3s, floaters, mid-range shots, fadeaways ect. and Portland was successful a few times with the Smith/Sabonis high screen/roll to try to get Shaq involved in it, though to Shaq's credit, he eventually did come out a few times and give a better effort. But outside of those 3, Bonzi went off a few times in the series, and it wasn't a favorable match up for Stoudamire who barely played at times, but had a a couple of good games, and Schrempf was still effective for his passing as well as posting up at times and being a threat to hit the outside shot. Even Sabonis who was hot and cold with his 20-22 footers, and ineffective with the hook in the post vs Shaq, had his moments where he stepped up and gave them offense as well as a double double with 6 assists in game 6, when although the situations weren't comparable, you could argue he matched Shaq that game in a sense. And even when Sabonis wasn't scoring, what he did do effectively was keep Shaq away from the basket quite a bit since Portland was trying to keep him in the high-post and at the top of the key to open up the post and driving lanes for other players, and this did work a fair amount. They also used Sabonis as an entry passer quite a bit. Even an old Sabonis could be very valuable. People shouldn't underestimate what such a versatile skill set and high IQ at that size can do, even with little mobility.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, with so many weapons, including various players who went off at times throughout the series suddenly couldn't hit a shot while Shaq finally awoke and started getting the ball while picking it up defensively to go along with Kobe and Brian Shaw was hitting the shots out of the double team despite generally being a mediocre shooter, and Horry had shot horribly all series, but hit a big 3 himself.

That's just the way it goes sometimes, but the two teams were about as evenly matched as you could possibly be. Someone had to lose.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Frankly, I don't think most teams even really go into an "3rd option set" if you want to call it. I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

I would have to say the Wii U is one of the greatest third options of all time.

7-time NBA All-Star

Frankly, I don't think most teams even really go into an "3rd option set" if you want to call it. I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.
    Well, there are 1st options, 2nd options ect. in some systems like the triangle offense, but really 3rd option is generally just a term used for the guy who a team goes to the 3rd most offensively like Bosh behind Lebron and Wade.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    James Worthy is first to come to mind.
    Detlef Schrempf was a pretty sick 3rd option.

Tim Hardaway in the Run TMC days.

didn't get to watch him play, so Manu really comes to mind for me.

if it comes down to between which team has had the 3rd best player on a championship team, or which player has been the best fit for taking the amount of FG per game as the 3rd player.

I tend to believe the latter statement applies to Manu for the last decade or so.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    2007 regular season

Parker- 19, 6, 3 on 52%
    Ginobili- 17, 4, 4 on 46%

2007 postseason

Parker- 21, 6, 3 on 48%
    Ginobili- 17, 4, 6 on 40%
    Thank you for shooting that nonsense down.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Rodman third option, that team won't crack 50 points

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    James Worthy
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin McHale
    Tony Parker/Gino?
    Dennis Rodman
    Big Ben?

Just to name a few

How would you rank them? Who's the greatest?
    Which player was the best player, that was the third best player on any team in a given year? Or are we talking players that were career third best?

What qualifications are we using?

Quote Originally Posted by GODbe
    If we're talking stat-wise then:
    2011 LeBald

Although, if you factor in impact he's probably the worst ever.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Don't talk abou that, it depresses me! Haha, there was this video of game 5 on youtube and it basically cut out the first quarter and I was like "wtf I came here to watch Scottie go off in the first quarter and you don't even have it!" lol. I was so upset. A lot of people get on Scottie because he didn't just demand the ball and take over during their 4th quarter collapse in game 7 vs the Blazers, but the fact of the matter is...the Blazers got a lot of good shots...they just didn't make them. Everything just went to hell. They weren't playing bad basketball...they just weren't hitting the shots they were taking.
    that was you! I remember seeing that in the comments section and thinking "same here."

Yeah, I would say the 00' Portland team in terms of scoring was balanced and went with match ups, but Wallace was the nominal first option. Pippen was still the team leader, though, and their top playmaker and defender. People forget in the playoffs he led Portland in rebounds, assists, steals, minutes and was only 3 ppg from Wallace.

I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.
    Great points. This isn't the NFL where there is a "first read" and "second read" and so on among receiving options on every play.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Which player was the best player, that was the third best player on any team in a given year? Or are we talking players that were career third best?

What qualifications are we using?
    On any given championship team, I guess. Was thinking all-time, but I have Bosh in there and a few others.

And I meant third best for the subject, not neccessarily a third "option".

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

10.1999 Avery Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    On any given championship team, I guess. Was thinking all-time, but I have Bosh in there and a few others.

And I meant third best for the subject, not neccessarily a third "option".
    Who's baby iz that?

Wade and Garnett