Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Default Teams whom did the worst job in terms of building around their franchise players

There have been several FO in NBA history whom have just flat-out failed to build competent teams around there franchise players. The three guys that come to my mind are Barkley, Garnett, and AI.

Default Re: Teams whom did the worst job in terms of building around their franchise players

Cleveland too.

Look at what OKC did for Durant, Spurs for Duncan, Lakers for Kobe....

Default Re: Teams whom did the worst job in terms of building around their franchise players

Tracy McGrady w/ the Magic and Rockets.

With an injured Grant Hill, TMac literally had to carry the team on his back. In Houston he had Yao, but other than him there was no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Tracy McGrady w/ the Magic and Rockets.

With an injured Grant Hill, TMac literally had to carry the team on his back. In Houston he had Yao, but other than him there was no one else.
    I think T-Mac suffered from poor luck more so then flat-out incompetence by the FO.

garnett game to mind immediately for me. i feel like most teams tried something. cleveland for lebron was p bad too. 76ers build a hugely defensive minded team to compensate for ai's playstyle. if it wasn't for him facing the lakers in the finals, he would have had a chance i think. they were just too stacked

Banned

Denver nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by Suguru101
    Cleveland too.

Look at what OKC did for Durant, Spurs for Duncan, Lakers for Kobe....
    Cleveland is an interesting case. They had put the ideal role players around Lebron, but they missed on not getting a legit two. I have said before if they had somehow gotten Amare in 2010, they may have won the championship that year.

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Cleveland is an interesting case. They had put the ideal role players around Lebron, but they missed on not getting a legit two. I have said before if they had somehow gotten Amare in 2010, they may have won the championship that year.

except they failed horribly and could only muster up mo williams the 7 years lebron was there

Quote Originally Posted by 3peated
    garnett game to mind immediately for me. i feel like most teams tried something. cleveland for lebron was p bad too. 76ers build a hugely defensive minded team to compensate for ai's playstyle. if it wasn't for him facing the lakers in the finals, he would have had a chance i think. they were just too stacked
    Disagree, AI needed guys whom can provide spacing and Larry Brown and Billy King just never were able to get anyone who could hit a jump-shot consistently.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

There have been several FO in NBA history whom have just flat-out failed to build competent teams around there franchise players. The three guys that come to my mind are Barkley, Garnett, and AI.
    Don't really follow you on AI. They built a team specifailly for him and went to the finals. AI was most effective when used in the capacity that he was used w LB as the coach. He handled the bulk of the scoring and everyone made up for his defensive deficiencies. They had the 6th man of the year and the DPOY. I would say that in LBs years as coach their teams were quite competent. Remember, it's a team, it's not always about scoring. I actually think the Philly finals team was one of the best actual teams in a long time. It was refreshing to see everyone have a role and be happy playing it. I mean guys like Lynch and McKie and Snow gave 100% every night and both Snow and McKie made big game winners that year. Barleys Phoenix team made the finals as well. In Philly he didn't, so if you're talking about Philly then yeah I'll give you that. In KGs case, his contract was bad and hamstrung the franchise. His teams were nowhere near as bad as the myth they have become. It is very difficult to get to the finals let alone win and the front office isn't at fault all the time. It's not the Philly or Phoenix front offices fault that they had to face Kobe and Shaq and pip and Jordan. No one was going to beat those teams.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I think T-Mac suffered from poor luck more so then flat-out incompetence by the FO.
    FO didn't do him any favors in Orlando. Rockets was bad luck, although I don't know why they thought Rafer was good enough for Yao and McGrady. And then, of course, one of Yao or McGrady was always injured.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Don't really follow you on AI. They built a team specifailly for him and went to the finals. AI was most effective when used in the capacity that he was used w LB as the coach. He handled the bulk of the scoring and everyone made up for his defensive deficiencies. They had the 6th man of the year and the DPOY. I would say that in LBs years as coach their teams were quite competent. Remember, it's a team, it's not always about scoring. I actually think the Philly finals team was one of the best actual teams in a long time. It was refreshing to see everyone have a role and be happy playing it. I mean guys like Lynch and McKie and Snow gave 100% every night and both Snow and McKie made big game winners that year. Barleys Phoenix team made the finals as well. In Philly he didn't, so if you're talking about Philly then yeah I'll give you that. In KGs case, his contract was bad and hamstrung the franchise. His teams were nowhere near as bad as the myth they have become. It is very difficult to get to the finals let alone win and the front office isn't at fault all the time. It's not the Philly or Phoenix front offices fault that they had to face Kobe and Shaq and pip and Jordan. No one was going to beat those teams.
    I think people exaggerate the whole Iverson needs to be surrounded by defensive players because his two seasons in Denver basically proved otherwise. AI in a lot of ways isn't all that different from most ball-dominant perimeter players(aka Kobe, Lebron, Wade etc.), they need guys whom can provide spacing. The Sixers were an awful team shooting wise in AI prime and it is a big reason why his efficiency(besides hand-checking) was mediocre. Honestly, the ideal roster for AI would be Lebron's 2009 Cavs.

And KG's contract wasn't the problem, I remember reading that even if Kevin played for free, the T-Wolves would still be over the cap. Seriously, the best help he ever got was an aging Cassell and Sprewell.

Banned

Knicks around Patrick Ewing.

John Starks as your second option? Get the **** out of here.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Jazz. Handed two of the greats in back to back drafts and nothing to show for it.