Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Still in the league Marcus Thornton's Avatar

Default Re: A drafted player who refuses to... (Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Is Stan Van Gundy a Laker fan?

I am arguing for a free agency system because that's what I belive will produce the most exciting basketball from top to bottom.

I can't belive with all the different arguments I've presented you boil it down to "it's because you're a Laker fan", come on man.

Either if it's a draft system or a free agent system there aren't any real homeruns, GM's have to know their shit to create good teams and contend.
    Cleveland got Lebron, no titles and he left. Pelicans just got Anthony Davis, they won't even make the playoffs. Clippers got Griffin, didn't get good until they traded for free agent to be Chris Paul.

A free agency system doesn't mean that players don't bust. You try and be the New York Knick GM who gave a rookie 15 mill a year for the first 4 years because of his potential and the guys ends up riding the pine.
    I didn't say that all supporters are Laker fans now did I?

And I have given counter points to your arguments. I've stated that the top rookies would rather go to the playoff or bound teams, which is what can happen with a rookie free agent system. Don't make my one personal attack that was used to match the one thrown by you the only important statement in my case for staying with the current system over the FA system.

And it's true that GMs need to be savvy to create good teams, but they need building blocks to do it. You think the Paul resigns for the Clips without Blake? Did OKC not rebuild through the draft? High draft picks aren't supposed to turn the franchise around, but to give them a chance to have some talent to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Thornton
    I didn't say that all supporters are Laker fans now did I?

And I have given counter points to your arguments. I've stated that the top rookies would rather go to the playoff or bound teams, which is what can happen with a rookie free agent system. Don't make my one personal attack that was used to match the one thrown by you the only important statement in my case for staying with the current system over the FA system.

And it's true that GMs need to be savvy to create good teams, but they need building blocks to do it. You think the Paul resigns for the Clips without Blake? Did OKC not rebuild through the draft? High draft picks aren't supposed to turn the franchise around, but to give them a chance to have some talent to build around.
    No but you said the only reason I want this is because I'm a Laker fan, that's insulting my intelligence.
    Stan Van Gundy supports rookie free agency, what's his reason? If even by the arguments I've given you just boil it down to me thinking about this from a simple sided mind as fan of a single team, then I'd like to know what you think Van Gundys reasons are for supporting the same claim?

Again, with a hard salary cap there is a maximum of what teams can pay players. If you think a rookie gives up 10, 5 or even 2 million a year got multiple years to play on a current playoff team you're wrong. The playoff teams change every year, players know that starting on a non-playoff team and help making it a playoff team is a challenge that can be accomplished. The reason they know this is because they know their talent and they are in fact themselves the building blocks of a team.

This effect, along with the extra internationals and the bonus of many more players being happy and motivated because they're in situations they themselves picked.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Silver needs to reel these foreign scumbags in. They think they can get away with whatever they want? If they try to pull this shit then just ship them back to their minor leagues.
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Toronto
    The Basketball Association of America was founded in 1946 by owners of the major ice hockey arenas in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States and Canada. On November 1, 1946, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the Toronto Huskies hosted the New York Knickerbockers at Maple Leaf Gardens, in a game the NBA now regards as the first played in its history.[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ll_Association

yes, I just used wikipedia as my source

No wonder the great jerry west is complaining about the state of the league. As if we didnt have enough local scumbags to deal with, now we got these foreign scumbags thinking that they call the shots. I say ship em out

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Thornton
    I am not advocating that the system is perfect or that you should like it. I am saying that the draftees should respect the system because that's what they are signing up for. The system is the ruling, no if and buts until it is changed.

My opinion isn't that the system is perfect. My opinion is that draftees who want to be in the NBA should not try to undermine the system by refusing to play if they are drafted to a less desirable franchise. That's just unprofessional and disrespectful to those not drafted.
    What they are doing is part of the system. They aren't stopping any one from drafting them. They are just acting in what they perceive is their best interest, something that all some systems presuppose.

Still in the league Marcus Thornton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    No but you said the only reason I want this is because I'm a Laker fan, that's insulting my intelligence.
    Stan Van Gundy supports rookie free agency, what's his reason? If even by the arguments I've given you just boil it down to me thinking about this from a simple sided mind as fan of a single team, then I'd like to know what you think Van Gundys reasons are for supporting the same claim?

Again, with a hard salary cap there is a maximum of what teams can pay players. If you think a rookie gives up 10, 5 or even 2 million a year got multiple years to play on a current playoff team you're wrong. The playoff teams change every year, players know that starting on a non-playoff team and help making it a playoff team is a challenge that can be accomplished. The reason they know this is because they know their talent and they are in fact themselves the building blocks of a team.

This effect, along with the extra internationals and the bonus of many more players being happy and motivated because they're in situations they themselves picked.
    Well you were disregarding my points because the current rookie system is all I've seen and I'm used to it. You don't think I took offense to that?

I don't care for his stance because I haven't seen any reasoning from him as to why it would work. He can state all his ideas he wants, but if his reasons and effects of his ideas aren't fleshed out, I can't debate about it. Just because a prominent figure advocates for it, doesn't mean it is always a good idea. So unless you can bring a primary source that states on why he thinks a free agent rookie system can work, I'm not going to go guessing what they are.

So let's say we had this free agent system implemented at the time when the 2012 draft would have occurred. You telling me that Anthony Davis wouldn't go onto the Heat, which was in need of better big men? Sure there could be a hard salary cap, but GMs will want rookie exceptions. No GM would want a bidding war over rookies. Also, some teams aren't attractive to players. You think good rookies would want to go to place like Toronto, Boston, or Minnesota? Those places have terrible and unenjoyable weather throughout the regular season. Why go there unless you are forced to or if you like it there for some crazy reason?

Playoffs teams change season by season, but bringing in a good rookie can keep them in it.